PeteyButterbean

May 10, 2017
West Virginia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey Butterbean
Hello All,

I noticed a few weeks ago that Petey had a few spots of hair gone on his back, but didn't think about it because he rolls around a lot in the backyard, but today I gave him a bath and noticed that the hair was thinning quite bad on his back and the small spots were getting bigger. I'm a little concerned. I get obsessive over Petey's health. This also coincided with him not wanting to eat this food, his puppy food is Eukanuba. I took him to the vet over not wanting to eat and she said he mostly likely was starting to grow a distaste for his puppy food and to gradually start switching him to adult food, which I'm feeding him Science Diet.

Of course I dove into the internet to see what his hair loss could be from, which only made my anxiety worse. I'm wondering is it is food allergies, but he isn't itching or scratching. I also came across information on demodectic mange, which is common in puppies and bulldogs, as well as seasonal alopecia. Does anyone have some insight on what could be the issue or have ran into this. The hair loss is only on his back.

Thanks a million!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
so many things and I'm sure you'll get some good answers especially on the food part ;) I'll let some others chime in but I do know that Coconut oil seems to be a wonder oil for these guys.. Hang in there, you'll soon hear I'm sure.
Hello All,

I noticed a few weeks ago that Petey had a few spots of hair gone on his back, but didn't think about it because he rolls around a lot in the backyard, but today I gave him a bath and noticed that the hair was thinning quite bad on his back and the small spots were getting bigger. I'm a little concerned. I get obsessive over Petey's health. This also coincided with him not wanting to eat this food, his puppy food is Eukanuba. I took him to the vet over not wanting to eat and she said he mostly likely was starting to grow a distaste for his puppy food and to gradually start switching him to adult food, which I'm feeding him Science Diet.

Of course I dove into the internet to see what his hair loss could be from, which only made my anxiety worse. I'm wondering is it is food allergies, but he isn't itching or scratching. I also came across information on demodectic mange, which is common in puppies and bulldogs, as well as seasonal alopecia. Does anyone have some insight on what could be the issue or have ran into this. The hair loss is only on his back.

Thanks a million!

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I just watched "Pet Fooled" on Netflix and the take home message from that is that frozen raw food or dehydrated raw or freeze dried raw food is better for your dog than dry kibble dog food. Quite a few members here are feeding Honest Kitchen dehydrated raw eg. Thrive, but there's lots of other 5 star raw foods. Make sure the dog food is for all stages, since if your dog is still a puppy you want to make sure it has the proper calcium and phosphate percentages, and the all stages foods do. https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/raw/5-star/

OP
PeteyButterbean

PeteyButterbean

May 10, 2017
West Virginia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey Butterbean
Thank you for the suggestions. The vet recommended Hill's Science Diet, but after reading the forums I've decided to switch him to grain free dry food to see if that works, if that doesn't work then I will start trying new diets. I'm going to take him to the vet to make sure he doesn't have mange. Hopefully not. Allergies is easier to deal with.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Thank you for the suggestions. The vet recommended Hill's Science Diet, but after reading the forums I've decided to switch him to grain free dry food to see if that works, if that doesn't work then I will start trying new diets. I'm going to take him to the vet to make sure he doesn't have mange. Hopefully not. Allergies is easier to deal with.

Many vets are not knowledgeable about high quality dog food, and get kick backs from promoting Science Diet. Grain-free kibble or raw/dehydrated is really the best option for your baby. If you could post a pic of the bald spots... my Walter had demondex mange, and is right now suffering substantial hair loss on this flanks. We are in the process of checking his thyroid, but YES it could very well be alopecia. Don't panic about the mange, my boy was treated and he was doing fine until this last bout of hair loss.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Many vets are not knowledgeable about high quality dog food, and get kick backs from promoting Science Diet. Grain-free kibble or raw/dehydrated is really the best option for your baby. If you could post a pic of the bald spots... my Walter had demondex mange, and is right now suffering substantial hair loss on this flanks. We are in the process of checking his thyroid, but YES it could very well be alopecia. Don't panic about the mange, my boy was treated and he was doing fine until this last bout of hair loss.

Agree with the gang... get your baby off the SD crap and onto a high quality grain free food... Honest Kitchen, Fromm, Earthborn, Acana, Orijen are some of the one many here have good results with.
Also, could you post pictures of the spots... it could be a few things and since he is under a year mange is one of them. Did the vet do a skin scrape to rule out manage?

OP
PeteyButterbean

PeteyButterbean

May 10, 2017
West Virginia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey Butterbean
Here is his back. As you can see the hair is quite thin and he has a few spots of complete hair loss. He doesn't seem sick and he is also not itching or scratching.

20170511_131201.jpg

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Here is his back. As you can see the hair is quite thin and he has a few spots of complete hair loss. He doesn't seem sick and he is also not itching or scratching.

View attachment 105918
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] -- I think this is more a reaction to the bad food than mange... thoughts?

Kristen -- I would switch him off of the science diet now, that is such crap food and it has no nutritional value at all.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
@ddnene @Manydogs -- I think this is more a reaction to the bad food than mange... thoughts?

Kristen -- I would switch him off of the science diet now, that is such crap food and it has no nutritional value at all.

I agree. This looks to be the result of low quality food. I think once you transition him over to a high quality kibble, grain free, chicken free you should hopefully notice a huge difference in a matter of just a few weeks.

Please go with with something at least 4 stars or higher... this means you'll have to go to a specialty pet store or order off Chewy, etc. High quality kibbles aren't found in supermarkets, walmarts, etc.

This link is amazing and gives you several names!!

English Bulldog News Forums - Dog Food Ratings at English Bulldog News

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION], that looks more like an allergy than mange to me.

OP
PeteyButterbean

PeteyButterbean

May 10, 2017
West Virginia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey Butterbean
I just ordered some grain free kibble! Thank you for the suggestions. I had no idea where to begin until this website! I think I'm still going to have a skin scrape done... just to make sure. It's more for mama's anxiety lol

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I just ordered some grain free kibble! Thank you for the suggestions. I had no idea where to begin until this website! I think I'm still going to have a skin scrape done... just to make sure. It's more for mama's anxiety lol

Great!! Keep us posted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir Bentley

Jan 27, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Bentley
Is raw chicken not healthy for bulldogs? A dog trainer told me he feeds his dogs raw chicken legs, bone and all, raw not cooked. He said the raw bones are not a danger. Is he wrong?

Sir Bentley

Jan 27, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Bentley
He said the chicken was good for their coat.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Is raw chicken not healthy for bulldogs? A dog trainer told me he feeds his dogs raw chicken legs, bone and all, raw not cooked. He said the raw bones are not a danger. Is he wrong?

Raw chicken usually is fine... it is how chicken is processed during making of kibble that causes the issues
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] @helonwheels

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online