Get a bulldog they said.....

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
I have been MIA for awhile. To refresh my story, we have had a terrible time with Jackson lunging at loud trucks, motorcycles, diesel engines, etc.:nonono: He was almost not controllable. Thanks to the experts here, I was given the advice to get a correcting harness that goes up around his jowls. That and high value treats was a lifesaver! After a few weeks, Jackson became much more manageable with the use of both. I even bragged about his progress here.:fie: The experts were impressed, but I do believe [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] said " don't trust him". :evil:Well, I was in a hurry one day, did not put the correcting harness on, just his regular one. I was taking him out for a "quick pee" and right back in. Lo and behold as I got to the end of the driveway, a cement truck came around the corner. Jackson started to lunge, I did not trust the harness( stupid move on my part) :bitching:and bent down to grab the handle that is on the back of his harness- he lunged again and he took me down. I tried to brace my fall on the pavement so not to hit my head, and I landed sideways and heard ( and felt) the snap of my rib. I did manage to hang on to Jackson ( I don't know how) but I was hurting! Yes, fractured rib. He now does not go out AT ALL without that second correction harness. He hates it, but it is too bad!:pIt truly makes him completely at my mercy and HIS safety! christmas jackson.jpgI am healing well and will never trust this little devil again!! Get a bulldog they said...... On a happier note, Jackson's brother Ruger and "Uncle Bogey" are coming for a sleepover tonight! I must be N-U-T-S!!! Will post Christmas pics soon!!

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Omg... so sorry to hear that. I hope you are feeling better real soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Goodness gracious. Sorry to hear this - fractured ribs are painful.

Hope the bulldog pyjamas party goes well!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Oh no! I hope you are feeling better. It always amazes me as to just how strong bulldogs are, I think that low center of gravity has a lot to do with it. Anyway, take good care of yourself!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Great to hear youā€™re making progress. Know that it takes a lot of work to get Bulldogs to consistently do what YOU want them to do.
Lucky for me, my wife Sandy, is the Bulldog whisperer. Sheā€™s so good at this...she amazes me still. Keep at it, be consistent, be stern, and youā€™ll be just as good as she is.
054468A3-5F08-40D8-A390-BF711A2E1E15.jpeg

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=7064]mer55[/MENTION] I hope you feel better soon! For the love of dogs!!! [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] That is a wonderful picture of your family!!

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Great to hear youā€™re making progress. Know that it takes a lot of work to get Bulldogs to consistently do what YOU want them to do.
Lucky for me, my wife Sandy, is the Bulldog whisperer. Sheā€™s so good at this...she amazes me still. Keep at it, be consistent, be stern, and youā€™ll be just as good as she is.
View attachment 120162

Now that looks like bulldog heaven! [emoji4]
All I can get Bella to do is sit. Well thatā€™s really only if I have a treat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh my goodness... I'm SO very sorry, and I hope that you feel better real soon!!!
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] that picture is pure heaven... we KNOW who rules your house!!! Lol

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
OUCH!!! Broken rib!!! Sending get well soon vibes your way! Don't forget deep breathing exercises :)

tigertanktoo

Mar 31, 2019
SW Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gabe - EBD 7 yrs old and Charlie - Cockerspaniel 15 yrs old
I am healing well and will never trust this little devil again!! Get a bulldog they said...... On a happier note, Jackson's brother Ruger and "Uncle Bogey" are coming for a sleepover tonight! I must be N-U-T-S!!! Will post Christmas pics soon!!
[/SIZE]

Glad to hear that you are healing well. Hope your 100% soon. That knucklehead Jackson looks good in his christmas gear.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Yes definitely never trust any dog that lunges. Might not lunge for weeks n months but can still trigger. Why you definitely need to keep that harness on n I would add a choker collar. You need a leather 6-8ā€™ training leash that has a clip at each end. Clip one on the harness n one on the chokers. Jake had a bad issue pulling when I first got him 2.5yrs old. Every time he pulled I gave a quick yanked to the collar. Then continue with the harness. Was only for his pulling. So if yours lunges, a quick fast short yank will pull him out of his mission. EB has massive neck. Yanks definitely wonā€™t hurt them. Itā€™s a reminder to them. If you pull, lunges you get yanked. Jake doesnā€™t need the choker anymore. :)

Get well soon!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Oh no! Iā€™m so sorry you are hurt, rib injuries are brutal! Sending healing prayers.

how was the sleepover? How are you feelin??

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.