PabloEscobar

Feb 10, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pablo Escobar
My 4th month old, Lilac Merle English Bulldog, currently has one testicle that descended. Iā€™m concerned that he might suffer from cryptorchid (one testicle descending) being the second testicle has yet to drop. The breeder provided a health check on the puppy and the parents and is willing to provide a refund or issue another puppy with the return of PE.
Iā€™ve read online that after 8 weeks, the puppy is considered cryptorchid. But on some forums, Iā€™ve read that both testicles have descended on a puppy after 4-6 months. I am in love and attached with Pablo Escobar, but I donā€™t want to find myself at a loss, being I have invested into PE for breeding purposes as a registered AKC EBD. Thoughts???

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 338
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 422

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
My 4th month old, Lilac Merle English Bulldog, currently has one testicle that descended. Iā€™m concerned that he might suffer from cryptorchid (one testicle descending) being the second testicle has yet to drop. The breeder provided a health check on the puppy and the parents and is willing to provide a refund or issue another puppy with the return of PE.
Iā€™ve read online that after 8 weeks, the puppy is considered cryptorchid. But on some forums, Iā€™ve read that both testicles have descended on a puppy after 4-6 months. I am in love and attached with Pablo Escobar, but I donā€™t want to find myself at a loss, being I have invested into PE for breeding purposes as a registered AKC EBD. Thoughts???

Love the drug lordā€™s name!!! Too cute...

No expert on this issue but had males all my life. Had a couple with one testicles n all still breed. Had 2 males the 2nd one came down around 6months old. Definitely up to you what you want to do with Pablo. But I thought Merleā€™s arenā€™t AKC approved.
[MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] since yours are in shows????

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Since Pablo is so young, it is difficult to know whether the other testicle will descend or not. Castor ended up cryptorchid and back when he was young, the Swedish kennel club recommended breeders to give a refund if one of the testicles hadn't dropped by the time the dog was one year. We therefore got a refund from Castor's breeder, but the kennel club here no longer recommends refunds for dogs that are sold as pets since cryptorchism is not something that changes the dog's life as a pet.

Cryptorchid dogs must not be bred and they are banned from the show ring. I'm not quite sure, but think pups after a cryptorchid sire cannot be registered in the kennel club here, although rules might be different in the US. There is apparently a slightly increased risk of cancer, but we have never considered neutering Castor, and since we have had no thoughts of breeding him, the circumstance that he happens to be cryptorchid has never been a problem (and Castor himself does not know!).

My advice is to consider why you would like to breed Pablo. Is it for the money or for some other reason? You say you don't want to find yourself "at a loss" - well, owning a bulldog is an investment but the payoff needn't be pups and money but the love and friendship a bulldog can give. On the other hand, if you think of a dog that won't generate money as "a loss", perhaps you should take the breeder's offer and go for another pup.

And I believe [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] is right about colour; the AKC breed standard sheet for English bulldog actually states that "The merlepattern is a disqualification". Having said that, I think your little Pabo is adorable and he looks like a very nice dog!

OP
P

PabloEscobar

Feb 10, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pablo Escobar
Love the drug lordā€™s name!!! Too cute...

No expert on this issue but had males all my life. Had a couple with one testicles n all still breed. Had 2 males the 2nd one came down around 6months old. Definitely up to you what you want to do with Pablo. But I thought Merleā€™s arenā€™t AKC approved.
[MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] since yours are in shows????

Haha! Thank you!!!That would be correct that AKC does NOT recognize Merle EBDs for show purposes. However, they are AKC registrable. I have full breeding rights for my pup. The second testicle descended at 6 months? Okay, now I am slightly relieved; however, just my luck, the nut wonā€™t drop. Lol. Iā€™ve been checking insanely approx. two times a day. I hope I end up in your shoes within two months. Thanks for the feedback. ��

OP
P

PabloEscobar

Feb 10, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pablo Escobar
Correct. Merle pattern is a Disqualification for Showing; however, they are still able to be registered under AKC. Pabloā€™s AKC registeration papers arrived in the mail, earlier this week. When having merles, I had to submit pictures when i mailed off my registration form.
As it relates to the intention of buying Pablo, I did extensive research on the breeder and the reputable breeder. Although Pablo is our family pet, my mindset is focused on breeding.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Correct, you cannot show a Merle. My girl Ella is a show dog and her brother was supposed to be as well but he ended up having to get neutered as his second testicle never dropped.

AKC will you let register disqualified colors because they want the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Haha! Thank you!!!That would be correct that AKC does NOT recognize Merle EBDs for show purposes. However, they are AKC registrable. I have full breeding rights for my pup. The second testicle descended at 6 months? Okay, now I am slightly relieved; however, just my luck, the nut wonā€™t drop. Lol. Iā€™ve been checking insanely approx. two times a day. I hope I end up in your shoes within two months. Thanks for the feedback. ļæ½ļæ½

Im not saying Pabloā€™s nutcracker will guarantee to descend. Who knows when or even if....

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
It seems to me that you are more interested in BREEDING this dog, than loving him. In that case, you should return him and get another. A true breeder interested in furthering and improving the breed, would not breed a cryptorchid(sp?), as it is inheritable, and his color is not the "real" original standard.The AKC never would have registered a Bullie outside of the standard, but I guess [MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] is right-they are doing it for the money now. Sorry if I insult you, but I could never give him up. By breeding him, you will be contributing to the destruction of the breed, also just doing it for the money! I know you won't like this opinion, but I remember when the AKC had standards. By the way, tell Pablo that his hippos are over breeding and getting dangerous! [MENTION=20090]PabloEscobar[/MENTION] LOVE him, or let him go!
By the way, I used to have mini poodles, and I paid ALOT for a tiny male pup.He stayed tiny, but One testicle never dropped, so he had a double surgery to remove them, and lived his entire life as a loved pet! Just my style.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
It seems to me that you are more interested in BREEDING this dog, than loving him. In that case, you should return him and get another. A true breeder interested in furthering and improving the breed, would not breed a cryptorchid(sp?), as it is inheritable, and his color is not the "real" original standard.The AKC never would have registered a Bullie outside of the standard, but I guess [MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] is right-they are doing it for the money now. Sorry if I insult you, but I could never give him up. By breeding him, you will be contributing to the destruction of the breed, also just doing it for the money! I know you won't like this opinion, but I remember when the AKC had standards. By the way, tell Pablo that his hippos are over breeding and getting dangerous! [MENTION=20090]PabloEscobar[/MENTION] LOVE him, or let him go!
By the way, I used to have mini poodles, and I paid ALOT for a tiny male pup.He stayed tiny, but One testicle never dropped, so he had a double surgery to remove them, and lived his entire life as a loved pet! Just my style.

The Bulldog Club of American does not endorse rare colors at all. Merles are not English Bulldogs. And people that tend to breed them are usually just looking to make money and sell them at a ridiculous cost and do not care about preserving the breed. There so much more to breeding than just color and I hate that there are so many "breeders" out there that do not do the proper health testing.

OP
P

PabloEscobar

Feb 10, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pablo Escobar
So itā€™s a catch 22! The family absolutely loves him, so therefore, Pablo Escobar is here to stay. Although my intentions are to breed, I would not subject myself to unethical practices should his second testicle, chooses to stay retained. As it pertains to AKC lowering their standards for monetary reasons, we purchased a healthy pup from a reputable breeder. Our interests were narrowed in on an exotic English bulldog. You are completely off subject, in terms of deferring to what AKC would accept as it relates to standard colors. I did extensive research and was assured that the sire had a clean bill of health. None of their clients have had this issue. The breeder even offered to discount PE or exchange for another puppy. The focus should be centered on the BD experiences with potential cryptorchid cases. Thatā€™s it. Thanks.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
So itā€™s a catch 22! The family absolutely loves him, so therefore, Pablo Escobar is here to stay. Although my intentions are to breed, I would not subject myself to unethical practices should his second testicle, chooses to stay retained. As it pertains to AKC lowering their standards for monetary reasons, we purchased a healthy pup from a reputable breeder. Our interests were narrowed in on an exotic English bulldog. You are completely off subject, in terms of deferring to what AKC would accept as it relates to standard colors. I did extensive research and was assured that the sire had a clean bill of health. None of their clients have had this issue. The breeder even offered to discount PE or exchange for another puppy. The focus should be centered on the BD experiences with potential cryptorchid cases. Thatā€™s it. Thanks.

As a member of the Bulldog Club of America, being a board member to my local bulldog club, owning a show dog, and being friends with and involved with actual reputable breeders, my interests will also be in preserving the breed to the standard and keeping the standard alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
As stated, it may drop later, but if not but a certain time I do think there is a chance of health issues if not dropped. I remember a friend Corso did not drop and I think they waited till one year to have it addressed..... I felt so bad for him, the ball was so deep in his gut, his entire belly and both back legs were bruised for weeks.

Talk with you vet and do as you are in keeping watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
This thread can go on forever. At the end of the day itā€™s your dog n you do whatā€™s best for your intentions n PE. Mankind will always toy around with genetics/dna to improve OR change originality. This isnā€™t just for animals but in humans too. We are starting to see breeders getting out of the flatter the nose the better, the bigger the rope the better, more wrinkles or wider chest the better. All these ā€œbettersā€ is why this breed has horrible health issues. Originality or not, mankind needs to stop breeding for these ā€œbetter ā€œ n start with ALL clubs. They are the issue. If the EB is still 100% pure but has a tad long nose n less rope, acceptance needs to start there. Big back this breed to itā€™s original form. Goes for all breeds. My 2 cents.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
This thread can go on forever. At the end of the day itā€™s your dog n you do whatā€™s best for your intentions n PE. Mankind will always toy around with genetics/dna to improve OR change originality. This isnā€™t just for animals but in humans too. We are starting to see breeders getting out of the flatter the nose the better, the bigger the rope the better, more wrinkles or wider chest the better. All these ā€œbettersā€ is why this breed has horrible health issues. Originality or not, mankind needs to stop breeding for these ā€œbetter ā€œ n start with ALL clubs. They are the issue. If the EB is still 100% pure but has a tad long nose n less rope, acceptance needs to start there. Big back this breed to itā€™s original form. Goes for all breeds. My 2 cents.

I'll just say one more comment on this but yes...there are "breeders" who are ruining this breed and over breeding and not breeding with the best of intentions. But thankfully there are breeders that are breeding to improve the breed and keep them healthy. Some breeders go for the "overdone" super wrinkled look which is not healthy at all. These are the breeders that need to be supported and kept alive. Unfortunately, as long as people are buying the Merles and unhealthy bulldogs and supporting backyard breeders, than the EB breed is in danger.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I'll just say one more comment on this but yes...there are "breeders" who are ruining this breed and over breeding and not breeding with the best of intentions. But thankfully there are breeders that are breeding to improve the breed and keep them healthy. Some breeders go for the "overdone" super wrinkled look which is not healthy at all. These are the breeders that need to be supported and kept alive. Unfortunately, as long as people are buying the Merles and unhealthy bulldogs and supporting backyard breeders, than the EB breed is in danger.

Yes youā€™re totally right :2thumbs: Why example my breeder has started many years ago to bring back the real EB like they use to be. Going to take years but at least sheā€™s on it. Itā€™s a start n hopefully it picks up.

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.