Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
He really is in the wars.

Has anyone's bully had this before?

The sheer panic when I saw him. I'll never forget it

Many years ago I use to breed Dobermans n my male had watery diarrhea. It was worms. Vet gave me massive yellow goofballs pills for him. I recall putting him outside to sleep that night as I knew he was going to flush them out. He sure did. Even his hind legs were weak. But he bounced back a couple days later.

OP
Amy89

Amy89

Jun 20, 2019
Country
United kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Turns out he is allergic to metrobactin. Gave him another one this morning 6-7 hours later this lips and nose were all red, inflamed and swollen.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Turns out he is allergic to metrobactin. Gave him another one this morning 6-7 hours later this lips and nose were all red, inflamed and swollen.

Oh my!!! Glad you found the source

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

I hate antibiotics as a passion. And I understand sometimes our hands are tied.

But in the future to keep a healthy pet, what I do for my dogs n myself I take oil of oregano. I add it to their food every other day. Itā€™s motherā€™s nature antibiotic. You buy this at your health food stores where the vitamins are.

How is the diarrhea today?

OP
Amy89

Amy89

Jun 20, 2019
Country
United kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce

But in the future to keep a healthy pet, what I do for my dogs n myself I take oil of oregano. I add it to their food every other day. Itā€™s motherā€™s nature antibiotic. You buy this at your health food stores where the vitamins are.

We have had no poop since 8am yeaterday. So just waiting for him to poop

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey

Do you put the oil of oregano, diluted with olive oil, into capsules for your dogs or buy it in capsules ? Because the taste is horrible. Dr. Karen Becker recommends it for kennel cough ( for 2 weeks )or long term for dogs with frequent infections.

Here is a good article on natural treatments for yeast infections in dogs. https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/health/yeast-infections-in-dogs/

Other useful treatments mentioned in the article include low carb diets, coconut oil, probiotics, black walnut hulls, garlic, Kolorex, olive leaf, Pau d'arco,Tanalbit, and tea tree hydrosol.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey

Do you realize that humans only lived until about 47 years of age before the discovery of penicillin? Infectious diseases such as smallpox, cholera, diphtheria, pneumonia, typhoid fever, plaque, tuberculosis, typhus, syphilis, etc. were rampant. It may be an evil, but it's a necessary evil.

OP
Amy89

Amy89

Jun 20, 2019
Country
United kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Usual face

Screenshot_20191025-204156_Gallery.jpg

Face now

Screenshot_20191025-204204_Gallery.jpg

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey

How long did he get the metronidazole before you had to stop? Maybe you can put him on febendazole instead for a week. It's much better tolerated.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Do you realize that humans only lived until about 47 years of age before the discovery of penicillin? Infectious diseases such as smallpox, cholera, diphtheria, pneumonia, typhoid fever, plaque, tuberculosis, typhus, syphilis, etc. were rampant. It may be an evil, but it's a necessary evil.

Yes I know... like I said sometimes our hands are tied. But that being said, nowadays, with other meds or even essential oils sure can cure a lot. Yes depending on the issue. If you do a good maintenance on regular basis on your dog or even ourselves, you sure can avoid a lot of health issues. Also over 75% of our meds today is plant base. :)

The OOO I only mix a couple drops into their one raw meal. Very rare a dog will refuse raw meat so itā€™s easy to camouflage it. Iā€™m not a big fan of capsules or gelatin capsules as some are not digestible for dogs. It can sit inside for a while. So to avoid all that, I mix in their raw. And yes itā€™s strong but not as bad mixed. I put it under my tongue 30seconds to get it over with then I have my glass of water beside me n Iā€™m ready loll. I find OOO is extremely good for all sorts. People would be surprised what you can use it for. I also put 4drops in my drinking water. You only need 4 drops per day not more. You can also do it every other day not daily. Not to long ago for a month I had pain in my upper stomach area. I did all the test on the planet. What goes in n out, blood test, inhaling test of your breath, number 1 n 2 etc etc... I find it odd as I usually eat healthy. So after all test, doctor said....take this n come back in a month if it doesnā€™t work!! Gave me reflux pills!! WTH.. I donā€™t have reflux. So I decided to do my own investigation.... was dammm ulcers!! I used OOO, Chlorophyll in my water everyday n all disappeared in a week. Some doctors I swear. So now I make a point to drink my mix of OOO every other day n for the dogs too. Btw Chlorophyll is also fantastic for dogs. Helps opening up the airways. After what happened to Duke, Iā€™m on a mission for this breed. :)

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Yes I know... like I said sometimes our hands are tied. But that being said, nowadays, with other meds or even essential oils sure can cure a lot. Yes depending on the issue. If you do a good maintenance on regular basis on your dog or even ourselves, you sure can avoid a lot of health issues. Also over 75% of our meds today is plant base. :)

The OOO I only mix a couple drops into their one raw meal. Very rare a dog will refuse raw meat so itā€™s easy to camouflage it. Iā€™m not a big fan of capsules or gelatin capsules as some are not digestible for dogs. It can sit inside for a while. So to avoid all that, I mix in their raw. And yes itā€™s strong but not as bad mixed. I put it under my tongue 30seconds to get it over with then I have my glass of water beside me n Iā€™m ready loll. I find OOO is extremely good for all sorts. People would be surprised what you can use it for. I also put 4drops in my drinking water. You only need 4 drops per day not more. You can also do it every other day not daily. Not to long ago for a month I had pain in my upper stomach area. I did all the test on the planet. What goes in n out, blood test, inhaling test of your breath, number 1 n 2 etc etc... I find it odd as I usually eat healthy. So after all test, doctor said....take this n come back in a month if it doesnā€™t work!! Gave me reflux pills!! WTH.. I donā€™t have reflux. So I decided to do my own investigation.... was dammm ulcers!! I used OOO, Chlorophyll in my water everyday n all disappeared in a week. Some doctors I swear. So now I make a point to drink my mix of OOO every other day n for the dogs too. Btw Chlorophyll is also fantastic for dogs. Helps opening up the airways. After what happened to Duke, Iā€™m on a mission for this breed. :)

I agree that it doesn't hurt to add natural remedies, especially at early stages of getting sick. Don't forget honey, especially Manuka with UMF over 10. https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamapediatrics/fullarticle/571638

OP
Amy89

Amy89

Jun 20, 2019
Country
United kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
How long did he get the metronidazole before you had to stop? Maybe you can put him on febendazole instead for a week. It's much better tolerated.

He was on 2 tablets a day and he took 2 the first day then 6-7 hours after the second tablet the reaction happened. The vets said it couldn't be the meds was probably a bite.

So woke up yesterday gave him his first and 6-7 hours after his lips were inflamed back to the vet.

A new vet this time and he said stop taking the anti-biotics and he wants a poo sample as soon as Bruce does his next 1. I thought hallelujah a vet that wants to help and seems to know what he is talking about.

The reactions were on the same 2 days he took the medication and nothing else had changed. He is still on chicken and rice and we haven't been walking in case he picks something else up.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.