Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Well Brutus puked! I'm not going to panick, it was a small amount of food, but many hours later, which I'm thinking isn't such a great sign. I am going to give it a few more days.

Could be from doing a straight switch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Could be from doing a straight switch?

Do you think so? I really thought since it is all real food I wouldn't have to. do you think I should do it anyway?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Do you think so? I really thought since it is all real food I wouldn't have to. do you think I should do it anyway?

I'm not sure! But it could be the source of vomit and gas, that's classic symptoms of tummy upset due to a food change. But that's why I asked about doing a straight switch, bc I'm not sure lol...

If he keeps doing that perhaps a bland diet for a couple days then switch, that's probably how I would do it....since the foods are so different. Then if it still happens you'll know it's definitely the food and not tummy woes.

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm not sure! But it could be the source of vomit and gas, that's classic symptoms of tummy upset due to a food change. But that's why I asked about doing a straight switch, bc I'm not sure lol...

If he keeps doing that perhaps a bland diet for a couple days then switch, that's probably how I would do it....since the foods are so different. Then if it still happens you'll know it's definitely the food and not tummy woes.

OK sounds like a good plan. I am going to do it

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
So far so good. I have not had anymore incidents of vomit from Mr. Brutus and they are both doing great. I had to play with amount adjustments because Frankie was hungry at first but I think we found a nice rhythm. I just ordered them The duck formula because the Vet wants him on a Novel Protein so hopefully all will go well.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Good luck, Rosalie. Hoping Brutus can tolerate it. I'm all about doing slow switches, have had too many bad experiences with Blue not to. But since it's been about four days now with only once incident, I'm thinking he should be fine?
Fingers crossed.

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Good luck, Rosalie. Hoping Brutus can tolerate it. I'm all about doing slow switches, have had too many bad experiences with Blue not to. But since it's been about four days now with only once incident, I'm thinking he should be fine?
Fingers crossed.
Did you find a good food for Blue? Wasn't he on the RX food also?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Did you find a good food for Blue? Wasn't he on the RX food also?

They're both on the Rx food.
I'm going to switch them both to raw, but it won't be until this summer when I have the space to store the meat.

Thing is, I really don't know if it's the food, the immunotherapy or both that are keeping his allergies in check (somewhat). I'm a little nervous to change, but I have a feeling with Blue it's mostly environmental.

I really wish other companies made a hydrolyzed protein food. A company that used meat as opposed to soy as it's main protein.
I do believe that breaking the protein down so much, fools the body into not recognizing what it is, and in turn, avoids the allergic reaction.

So while I'm not a proponent of crappy foods, I can see how it helps with food allergies when nothing else works.

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
They're both on the Rx food.
I'm going to switch them both to raw, but it won't be until this summer when I have the space to store the meat.

Thing is, I really don't know if it's the food, the immunotherapy or both that are keeping his allergies in check (somewhat). I'm a little nervous to change, but I have a feeling with Blue it's mostly environmental.

I really wish other companies made a hydrolyzed protein food. A company that used meat as opposed to soy as it's main protein.
I do believe that breaking the protein down so much, fools the body into not recognizing what it is, and in turn, avoids the allergic reaction.

So while I'm not a proponent of crappy foods, I can see how it helps with food allergies when nothing else works.
Yes I agree with you. I am praying this works for them because I know the RX food isn't the best. I had come to terms with the fact that he had to be on it but then he just stopped eating. The vet thinks having him on a novel protein will be ok.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Yes I agree with you. I am praying this works for them because I know the RX food isn't the best. I had come to terms with the fact that he had to be on it but then he just stopped eating. The vet thinks having him on a novel protein will be ok.

Which protein are you using? I'm going to look for a butcher that can get in deer, bison, mutton etc. when I switch them.

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Which protein are you using? I'm going to look for a butcher that can get in deer, bison, mutton etc. when I switch them.
right now i am giving them beef on advice of the vet because Brutus has had it without a problem but he wants him switched to a novel protein asap. I just ordered the duck, so I hope it goes off without reaction.

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
our friends hunt their land upstate and next season I think I will pay them to get me a deer and have fresh venison for the boys.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
our friends hunt their land upstate and next season I think I will pay them to get me a deer and have fresh venison for the boys.

Ton of deer where "our" house is too, but I won't hunt.
There are butchers that sell venison there though so I'm gonna talk to them about buying in bulk.

Last edited:
OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ton of deer where "our" house is too, but I won't hunt.
There are butchers that sell venison there though so I'm gonna to them about buying in bulk.
I don't hunt either. Not really my thing, it makes me feel bad, but they do so if they are already doing it I might as well put it to good use right?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I don't hunt either. Not really my thing, it makes me feel bad, but they do so if they are already doing it I might as well put it to good use right?

Oh yeah, definitely. I would too.

Members online

No members online now.