Allergies....help!

Natalie&Milo

Jun 12, 2022
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Milo
Hello, new to the forum and hoping to get some last resort advice as I am at my wits end!
Our boy Milo turns 8 in July and up until 3 years ago he was a happy little nutter. He lost his drogue de bordeaux sister and we think the stress may have kick started allergies (if this is possible).
In particular he struggles really bad with his paws to the point now we can not walk him as much due to them them being so sore he struggles outside on uneven ground. He has occasional tear stain flare up but we manage those fine.
We had an allergy test done and alot came back on his allergy sheet. We took him the vets and started on antibiotics and steroids and it seemed to clear the paws up but not soon after they'd flare up again. We have been back and forth since. In the meantime we have changed his food multiple times allowing enough time for each to take effect. Currently he's on Royal cannin anallergenic which he's been on for roughly two months with no change to the paws.
We've tried lots of different remedies. Silver spray, clx wipes, hibi scrub, different shampoos, unable to do Epsom salt baths as he's allergic to salts. The list is endless.
He's the worst he's even been at the moment and I need some fresh advice please he's in so much pain. Vets seem happy to just continue to stab in the dark at what's causing it but we can't watch him suffer the way he is.
Iv read up on appoquel and rhe likes but the health risks don't sound too good and qhen talking over options with the vet she seemd to agree that a low dose steroid would be best to keep him comfortable but as iv said they are no longer taking effect.
Iv just ordered apple cider vinegar and I think I'm going to stop using the clx wipes as his paws look inflamed after using these recently.
Really hope to hear from someone who can offer some support. Thabk you x

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
On

First 5 Ingredients Royal Canin

Dog food ingredients in the United States are listed in descending order of pre-cooked weight. The first 5 ingredients typically constitute a significant portion of the recipe.

For Royal Canin, these are the most common ingredients found within the first 5 dog food ingredients.

1. water sufficient for processing
  2. chicken by-product meal
  3. chicken
  4. chicken fat
  5. chicken fat
one suggestion I have is to get a decent food for him. Royal Canin is not good food.
Many bulldogs can not tolerate chicken. It's everything chicken in this food. could even be chicken feathers!
There are several here that feed raw-that would be the best for him. Someone will chime in with suggestions. My dogs have never had allergies, so I can't help with that-and they've never had chicken-or grains.
If you can't use epsom salt, try hot water, dry and then apply new stock on his feet.

OP
N

Natalie&Milo

Jun 12, 2022
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Milo
Oh my god, no wonder he's kicked off so bad. He's servery allergic to chicken and animal feathers in particular duck! Iv read the back of the packer and it doesn't mention any animal in particular on this bag but I can see what you mean. We advised the vets of his allergies and rhey suggested this food. In fact rhey said until we xhanged his food to this they would not make any further recommendations as to treatment as they said the food he was on was probably the cause. He was on james well-behaved fish only.
It's been so hard to get the best food for him due to how much is on his allergy sheet. Can you recommend any food that we can try please? Allergy friendly x

OP
N

Natalie&Milo

Jun 12, 2022
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Milo
We have tried raw food, and added in vegetables. But he's allergic to most meats chicken and beef being his more serve ones and then we found he's allergic to cauliflower also. Can you suggest a different raw diet please?

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Hello, new to the forum and hoping to get some last resort advice as I am at my wits end!
Our boy Milo turns 8 in July and up until 3 years ago he was a happy little nutter. He lost his drogue de bordeaux sister and we think the stress may have kick started allergies (if this is possible).
In particular he struggles really bad with his paws to the point now we can not walk him as much due to them them being so sore he struggles outside on uneven ground. He has occasional tear stain flare up but we manage those fine.
We had an allergy test done and alot came back on his allergy sheet. We took him the vets and started on antibiotics and steroids and it seemed to clear the paws up but not soon after they'd flare up again. We have been back and forth since. In the meantime we have changed his food multiple times allowing enough time for each to take effect. Currently he's on Royal cannin anallergenic which he's been on for roughly two months with no change to the paws.
We've tried lots of different remedies. Silver spray, clx wipes, hibi scrub, different shampoos, unable to do Epsom salt baths as he's allergic to salts. The list is endless.
He's the worst he's even been at the moment and I need some fresh advice please he's in so much pain. Vets seem happy to just continue to stab in the dark at what's causing it but we can't watch him suffer the way he is.
Iv read up on appoquel and rhe likes but the health risks don't sound too good and qhen talking over options with the vet she seemd to agree that a low dose steroid would be best to keep him comfortable but as iv said they are no longer taking effect.
Iv just ordered apple cider vinegar and I think I'm going to stop using the clx wipes as his paws look inflamed after using these recently.

Poor Milo! Allergies can start out of no where at any time.

I have 3 dogs, 2 of them have very bad allergies. One of them gets very bad itchy and chews the paws raw to the point where she canā€™t walk cause she chewed the pad off her paw.

I too did a allergy test for my dog 2 years ago for food allergies but they are only 50% accurate unfortunately, so if it says he is allergic to beef for example, but he hasnā€™t ever had it before he canā€™t truly be allergic to it. The test is only a starting point, So when your looking at the test, what it says he is allergic to, if he hasnā€™t ever had it or been exposed to it he isnā€™t truly allergic to it.

RC is not a good food at all, it actually has lots of known allergens in it, some grains are a known allergy for some Bulldogs(my dog is very allergic to grains, he breaks out in bumps/hives and skin infections).
Chicken, corn, wheat, rice, soy and by products should be avoided as those are not good ingredients and are often an allergy for most dogs.

All Steroids and Apoquel, Cytopoint, Atopica and also antibiotics distroy the immune system(causing more health issues and allergies).

My dog was on antibiotics all the time until the vet knew it was allergies and he is now antibiotics resistant so if he gets a skin infection, no antibiotics will work.
My other dog was on apoquel for 30 days and 2 tumours and tons of cysts came up. Same for the steroids and Cytopoint all of them destroy their immune system.
No treatment from the vet will work.

You need to help and boost the immune system.
I switched my dogs to raw diet and that has been the best thing that has helped with allergies.
They have been on raw for 5 months and allergies symptoms are almost non existent, with bovine Colostrum for environmental allergies they are great.

For environmental allergies, I give them Four Leaf Rover Bovine Colostrum, colostrum really helps with environmental allergies and is immune boost.
There is tons of pollen around too which doesnā€™t help!

If he is allergic to mites, get him off kibble and same for mold, some kibbles you donā€™t see storage mites or mold in it.

When they are in pain cause they chewed a paw raw that they canā€™t walk, I give CBD oil for a couple days or until they are better so they heal faster.

When looking for raw diet, do meat/organs/bone and stay away from any vegetables for now until you get him back on track.

Carbs/starch cause yeast which makes them more itchy. And they cause inflammation which again, causes allergies. They have no requirements for carbs, but to make kibble you need 30-60% starch.

If that were my dog I would get him on to raw diet that had only meat, organs, bone(this is all they need). And stay away from veg, no starch or crunchy treats, if you try a kangaroo raw diet for example and you want a kangaroo treats to give, look for 1 ingredient kangaroo treat.

It can take up to 3 months to get rid of all his old food in him.

I would put him right on raw diet with probiotics and not give anymore kibble.
I never recommend mixing raw and kibble together as they digest totally different.

Once you know a protein he can have, try another protein to add in, then do 1 day kangaroo, the next day beef for example. The more you can rotate thru that he can have the less likly he will become allergic to what he eats every day.
That happened to my dog from eating pork every day, he is now allergic.

I rotate between, Rabbit, Goat, kangaroo, beef, bison, Turkey(itā€™s a good protein for dogs that are allergic to chicken), And I plan to add Duck, Lamb and others.

All those are easier to get and rotate thru when feeding raw.
If you have anymore questions/concerns diet related or allergy questions, im happy to help.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Oh my god, no wonder he's kicked off so bad. He's servery allergic to chicken and animal feathers in particular duck! Iv read the back of the packer and it doesn't mention any animal in particular on this bag but I can see what you mean. We advised the vets of his allergies and rhey suggested this food. In fact rhey said until we xhanged his food to this they would not make any further recommendations as to treatment as they said the food he was on was probably the cause. He was on james well-behaved fish only.
It's been so hard to get the best food for him due to how much is on his allergy sheet. Can you recommend any food that we can try please? Allergy friendly x

If your in Canada, Artisan Raw makes a Bison/Venison formula, and I have my dogs on their HYPO formula(beef and salmon and leafy greens).

Keep in mind, while some dogs are allergic to processed, heated proteins in kibble, doesnā€™t mean they are allergic to it in. Itā€™s raw form.

Where are you located, I will look up some raw foods in your area.

All these are in Canada if your in Canada:

-Carnivora(the diets not dinners as dinners contain veg)
-big country raw(pure formulas)
-Artisan
-Spring meadows
-Bold By nature
-back 2 raw(basic formulas)

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
We have tried raw food, and added in vegetables. But he's allergic to most meats chicken and beef being his more serve ones and then we found he's allergic to cauliflower also. Can you suggest a different raw diet please?

You need to try a raw diet that doesnā€™t have any veg or fruits in it.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet

If your in the UK, there is Bella and Duke raw diet, they have pure meat and bone single protein(no veg) just meat organs and bone which is what you want.

It comes in Turkey, OR beef tripe, OR lamb, OR beef OR Duck OR chicken(I recommend avoiding).

That would be a good starting food if he isnā€™t allergic to Turkey or lamb

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Yes, try a different food other than the RC.

For paw soaks, I have done povidone iodine soaks for my Frenchie if his paws get yeasty. You dilute it until it's the color of iced tea and then soak for 5 minutes. You can do that until they start to improve.

My Frenchie is my allergy dog and is allergic to everything green outside. He has been on Cytopoint for several years and it has actually been a lifesaver. I used to have to give him baths every week and now I don't. And he can go months between injections.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
RC= BIG NO NO

In UK you have a lot of corner store butcher which is great. Have a few family members in UK & noticed when I visit. Drop in and ask them if they do dog food. Often itā€™s a mixture of meat n organs. Or if you stick to kibbles in UK you also have Acana. Do the single protein bags so you can monitor if any allergies. Start with duck as itā€™s easier to digest if youā€™re going that route.

Oddy5

Dec 15, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Oddy; Peanut
My Oddy did not get allergies until last year. They are seasonal - only appearing in the hot summer months. His paws are not affected but his right ear - yes only the one and his skin. His skin gets crusty and the hair falls out.

Last year, our vet, who I trust, gave him three doses of antibiotics. This year, we are trying something different. One treatment of antibiotics and one of apoquel - which Oddy's vet said is better than steroids and less problematic.

I have read the lit and the research on Apoquel. Like most types of medication - including natural, it has side effects (and plants are drugs when used accordingly and they are not the best response to everything) and potential long-term impacts. I looked at the articles which were completely anti - usually from those who believe totally that anything not natural is bad, as well as the pro-drug individuals. The studies indicate that, like all medications, some canines react badly or have issues. This is particularly true for long-term usage but, if I continually took even the most benign meds for a lengthy period, I would have some issues.

We feed Oddy a fish diet and, while I disagree with others on a raw diet - usually suggested to start out with when a puppy, not suddenly changed to when the dog is older, I do find RC is shit food. Just read the ingredients on the packaging, not the sheet, to see if the ingredients are allergens to Milo.

If your vet is not helpful, consider switching. You can, if possible, go to a vet college. They might offer a suggestion or two.

Remember, there is no one-size-fits-all. Milo is different from Milo in his tolerance, tastes and nature.

upsfeeder88

Dec 2, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Boomer
My English bulldog Boomer has had allergies for bout 2-3 years now. I totally understand what you are going through. Boomer just turned 11 in February and weights about 75-80lbs. For the past year I tried most of the remedies that you listed. Licking the paws to the point that they bubbled up between his toes and would finally pop and ooze blood. I would wrap them at night with Neosporin and they would heal, only to be licked and cycle continued. He also had a problem in his rolls under his eyes and above his nose where it would ooze and have to be treated daily with Neosporin. I finally submitted to the vets recommendations and started him on Apoquil 16mg once a day. It is not cheap. 30 day supply was about $2 a pill and a little over $60 a month (which is now $69).He has been on that for approximately 9 months which truly improved the area in his rolls, but he would still lick his paws occasionally and that problem persisted. The vet then suggested to give him 50 mg of Benadryl ( I use CVS brand) twice a day. I started him on that about three weeks ago. Ever since then he does not lick his paws, or scratch behind his ears etc. The hair between his toes and by his rolls have all grown back. Its been a god send. At some point I will probably stop the Apoquil and see if only the Benadryl will do the job. If not, I will incur the cost so his senior living is enjoyable for him. Like I said. no more licking, no more blood bubbles, no more oozing, no more scratching and the hair has grown back in. He seems a lot more comfortable. I also switched his food to Hills Science diet Senior Recipe for sensitive stomach's. Unfortunately with the medications he is on, its hard to tell if it has had a positive effect or not. Hope this helps.

bulldogmom420

Jun 7, 2022
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Chief
Iā€™m so sorry for your baby, I am trying to help manage my boys allergies at the moment and I know how disheartening it is to see them suffer. I wanted to suggest something that my hyper boy enjoyed, and it seemed to calm him down while also soothe his paws that are flaring up a bit currently

I have been taking a clean sock, and filling the sock with oats. Fill up the sock a quarter of the way and pull the sock over the spout of your tub or hose, hold it there and let some water run through the oats and fill up the tub or basin about 2 inches or enough to submerge his paws, and let him stand in it. It is not a cure but it remedied my babyā€™s paws for a bit, I do it every other night lately as heā€™s in the throes of a flare up on his front paws. Just be sure to completely dry them and in between the toes to avoid more bacteria

I hope this helps soothe him in the meantime! Stay strong, our babies are more strong and resilient than we know <3

Brilloluna

Jul 20, 2014
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cricket (2014-) Willa: (2001-2013)
Aw, poor pup!
Cricket canā€™t tolerate any poultry and she shows sensitivity to soy, wheat, and corn.. so sheā€™s on primal beef patties (frozen raw), honest kitchen grain free beef, and this veggie mix I make (spinach, apples, green beans, carrots, parsley, sweet potato, kelp powder, local honey, a bit of olive oil, and blueberries). Try taking your pup off kibble completely. Find out which protein he does best with, and run with that.
Hope this helps!

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Benadryl made my dog severely allergic(had to be hospitalized for 2 weeks daily because of the Benadryl).
Apoquel causes Tumors and ruins the immune system by suppressing the immune system letting cancer, viruses and all Heath issues to come up!
My dog was on it for 30 days, 3 tumors and causes more health issues!

Avoid brands such as Royal Canin, Hills, Science Diet, Purina, Eukanuba, the ingredients are terrible and is in general not a good food.

Boost the immune system is key, with good food(not Hills and the others I mentioned above) and if you boost the immune system, you improve the Heath and symptoms and helps the cause of allergies and it doesnā€™t destroy the immune system.

Members online

No members online now.