Paw Cysts Help

kaosthe3rd

Sep 24, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Kaos
We have a 4 year old male who has been struggling with constant paw issues for the last 2 years. He is currently on Apoquel, Prednisone and an antibiotic but his paw has flared right up again. We've switched him to a Hydrolyzed protein diet to see if it helps, but this flare is one of the worst he's had. Basically nothing we've been doing for the last 2 years has really helped and we are getting desperate! Does anyone have any experience dealing with these issues and found anything that has worked? TIA

Attachments

• Image 7-7-24 at 11.24ā€ÆAM.jpeg
    Image 7-7-24 at 11.24ā€ÆAM.jpeg
    152.1 KB · Views: 24
some questions:
What are his paws coming into contact with when outside?​
Are you going on walks?​
Does he lick?​

to help heal:
  • 10 minute epsom salt soaks
  • gentle sustained pressure with clean gauze/cloths while drying
  • neopredef
maintenance:
  • Keep the nails short. Use a Dremel. Trim them weekly at minimum
  • Clean and dry the feet whenever you come in from outside.
  • Ask your vet about "Genesis" (Triamcinolone Acetonide) spray

some questions:
What are his paws coming into contact with when outside?​
Are you going on walks?​
Does he lick?​

to help heal:
  • 10 minute epsom salt soaks
  • gentle sustained pressure with clean gauze/cloths while drying
  • neopredef
maintenance:
  • Keep the nails short. Use a Dremel. Trim them weekly at minimum
  • Clean and dry the feet whenever you come in from outside.
  • Ask your vet about "Genesis" (Triamcinolone Acetonide) spray
Thanks, Iā€™ll ask about the spray. Unfortunately he just wonā€™t allow us to touch anything to his feet. Weā€™ve tried the soaks and other sprays and wipes but itā€™s the only time heā€™s ever been aggressive with us. It makes it incredibly hard to treat the issue.
He doesnā€™t walk anywhere but our yard to do his business but does spend too much time licking. We are behind on his nails but they will be done this week.

We have a 4 year old male who has been struggling with constant paw issues for the last 2 years. He is currently on Apoquel, Prednisone and an antibiotic but his paw has flared right up again. We've switched him to a Hydrolyzed protein diet to see if it helps, but this flare is one of the worst he's had. Basically nothing we've been doing for the last 2 years has really helped and we are getting desperate! Does anyone have any experience dealing with these issues and found anything that has worked? TIA
I have 2yr old male who had the same issues after we rehomed him at 5months old until he was almost 1. Firstly we discovered it was happening due to poultry allergy so changed his food to raw beef with a mix of cold pressed salmon based kibble, this cured it until he got ill from a thorn puncturing his paw back in March, he developed bad infection, needed antibiotics & prednicortone steroids for 2 weeks. all the meds caused a yeast infection in his skin which led to a huge flare up of the paw cyst problem again, our vet tried isaderm cream daily for 3 weeks & malaseb shampoo baths every second day, it subsided a little but didnā€™t completely clear. I tried Epsom salt baths, cider vinegar, castor oil etc. but After much research online I came across propythium oil on the ā€˜dogs firstā€™ website, this moisturising oil has completely cleared the remainder of the cysts in 2 weeks. He doesnā€™t like the smell of it & gets a little excited after I massage it into his paws but after 5-10mins he forgets about it & I add it to his bath water too. See before pics attached
( I have also started using a probiotic anti allergy spray on his front paws daily, I purchased it from the same site as the yeast clearing oil)
I have just attached a new picture where you can see both front paws are now totally back to normal..
IMG_5405.png

Attachments

• IMG_5016.jpeg
    IMG_5016.jpeg
    237.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4940.jpeg
    IMG_4940.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4927.jpeg
    IMG_4927.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5009.jpeg
    IMG_5009.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5016.jpeg
    IMG_5016.jpeg
    237.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4940.jpeg
    IMG_4940.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4927.jpeg
    IMG_4927.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Theyā€™re Digital Cysts. They come n go. Doesnā€™t harm the dog either. But Apoquel, Prednisone and an antibiotic will. Your dogā€™s immune system is down. Why he canā€™t fight these cyst. My previous EB had them often. I would soak in Epson salt, pierce n add NuStock. They would disappear within 3days. They tend to lick their paws often. Then I put him on a raw diet n they never came back. Building an immune system is with a raw diet n fermented foods like sauerkraut n especially raw liver. Or at least add liver or organs as toppers to the kibble.

Iā€™ve got not health with them on a few occasions and they always went away after the epsom salt soaks. I do know a couple people that had to turn to surgery because they couldnā€™t get the cyst to go away and was causing issues. If Iā€™m remembering correctly, and I may not be, I feel like the issue with my friend was ingrown hairs.

Iā€™ve done the epsom soaks and a spray, Vectrcyn, I think was the name. I also recently used black drawing salve.. that worked really fast, like overnight

My 2 yr old male EB is suffering with paw cysts (also called furuncles). How do I get him to let me soak his paws in Epsom salts? He weighs 60+ lbs, and I can't lift him in/out of my bathtub. (He gets bathed at the groomer) My only option seems to be putting his feet into a shallow tub with the Epsom salts/water solution, but how do I get him to stay still for 10+ minutes? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

My 2 yr old male EB is suffering with paw cysts (also called furuncles). How do I get him to let me soak his paws in Epsom salts? He weighs 60+ lbs, and I can't lift him in/out of my bathtub. (He gets bathed at the groomer) My only option seems to be putting his feet into a shallow tub with the Epsom salts/water solution, but how do I get him to stay still for 10+ minutes? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
High value treatsā€¦ very small pieces

High value treatsā€¦ very small pieces
Thank you! I also saw a blog post in which a dog owner said she used plastic bags and tape to soak her dog's paws in an Epsom salt solution. Apparently it worked for her.

Iā€™ve used a big gulp cup and high value treats and sat there with them.

one thing I learned when first a bulldog companion ;) Is.............. keeping the tail pocket clean, and paw pads. I was blown away our first apt with bulldog vet when he showed me the under part of my boys paw. There was black crud deep in there on every paw!!! He showed me how to clean and walla, no more cysts.. Well almost no more ;) I know the *aggressive* when messing with feet once they get the cyst, so prevention once you get these cleared up is the best medicine of which others have suggested :) For tail pocket + cleaning feet's, I use "helsonwheels" potion. oh I hope I spelled that right. You should be able to find here on this site somewhere. Sorry of not much help on that, but I'm off and running right now.

We have the same issue but ours is 75 lbs! We smear a plate with marshmallow fluff and he licks it while we hold him in the soaking bin. We just use a plastic bin big enough for both of his front feet - he doesn't like it but the fluff helps a lot!

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

Back