I am so sorry to hear about Mack. I hope that he is feeling ok, despite this challenge. I don't have experience with lymphoma, but my boy Wilbur (age 6) was recently diagnosed with lymphocytic leukaemia (in October). He started having neurological symptoms (pain) suddenly one day and I didn't know what was happening. rushing him to my vet and then to my neurologist, he was diagnosed with hydrocephalus (see my previous posts). This was a challenge enough, and needed treatment immediately. The mystery was why his white blood cell count was sky high. This was how we discovered the leukaemia (specifically B-cell lymphocytic leukaemia).
For my part, I did not hesitate to have every diagnostic test performed. The CT Scan and MRI was done initially in relation to the hydrocephalus, and I opted for a spinal tap to see if there was an infection in his spinal fluid. From there, seeing the white cell count, I had an abdominal ultrasound to check for masses (negative) and subsequently a couple of very specialized blood tests done called TK and flow cytometry. I needed to know exactly what we were dealing with. If I had been able to been biopsy something, I would have.
Once the test results came back, and we had a diagnosis, I was able to make decisions. Wilbur is currently being treated with Chlorambucil, a chemo drug that has (so far) put his leukaemia into remission. He is not a candidate for radiation and I am not certain I would put him through that. He has had no side effects from the chemo at all - our struggle has been with the concurrent (and unrelated) hydrocephalus. To keep the fluid in his brain lowered, he has to be on prednisolone (a derivative of prednisone that is a little easier on the liver). by far the worst side effects at the beginning. He had to be on a moderate dose, and that was awful. Right now he is on a very low dose (5mg per day). I wish it was necessary but it is. He has monthly bloodwork to monitor his liver and check his blood. I am hoping we can lower the steroid even further.
Our prognosis is a year to 1/2 years. Its devastating. It is also difficult to accept this because right now, today, he is his normal goofy loving precious self. Right now, he is good. You would never know he is sick. I am treasuring every minute I have left with him. When he begins to fail, I will know it's time and that I have done everything I possibly can to give him the best days for as long as possible. Without treatment he would have succumbed within 6 weeks.
I guess my position is: you are dealing with a major medical situation. If I was in your shoes, I would have the biopsy to determine the type of lymphoma you are dealing with, and go from there. With treatment, you could give your boy more time. I was really worried I would be subjecting Wilbur to a horrible prolonged illness and chemo just for my sake. I can say for certain I haven't seen a single negative side effect from the chemo, and my doctors have stated that this isn't unusual in dogs.
My heart goes out to you - it is a heartbreaking diagnosis and I struggled with what to do. I wish I could tell you what to do, and I hope for the best for you and Mack. xo