URGENT!!! Our bulldog Mack has been diagnosed with lymphoma

kendranimal

Jan 14, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
Our beloved English Bulldog, Mack, has just been diagnosed with lymphoma. He is only 5 years old. The diagnosis is based on chest x-rays showing multiple enlarged lymph nodes in different locations and elevated calcium in his blood. The doctor wants to do a biopsy to confirm the diagnosis and to determine if it is B cell or T cell lymphoma. My friend's dog had lymphoma and she said her dog was not the same after the biopsy and she wishes she hadn't done it. Her dog had T cell which can't be treated with chemotherapy anyway. Please reply with your experience regarding canine lymphoma, biopsies, and chemotherapy. We are trying to decide if we should move forward with the biopsy.

Also, we are concerned that the lymphoma was triggered because we started giving Mack allergy shots in October. The vet says that she does not know of a correlation between allergy shots and lymphoma. Please share with us any experience you have with giving bulldogs allergy shots.

Thank you. 2016Jan23Koko-0005.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a beautiful boy!! So sorry you are all going through this... i have no personal experience with cancer in dogs, but have heard great results using cannibas oils.

We did have a friend with a Cane Corso having a biopsy done on a lump on her chest, it was cancer, she was herself mostly but more tired after the biopsy...

Sending tons of prayers and positive thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I am so sorry about Mack. I don't have experience with Lymphoma but Chumly had allergy shots weekly for over 5 years with no ill effects. They greatly improved his quality of life. Please do not blame yourself with the lymphoma being caused by the shots. I am sure they didn't. Please let us know how he is doing.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
So sorry to hear this. I am of no help with this though. Please keep us posted.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Ai don't have any experience with this either, but just wanted to say I'm so sorry you're going through this with Mack.
We always worry and want to know what could have caused it when our pets get sick, but you can't blame yourself. I have never heard of allergy shots causing lymphoma, and I have never heard of a dog changing after a biopsy. I would recommend doing the biopsy so you can know if the lump is benign or if it is cancer. This will help you make a informed and better decision on how to treat it. Sending positive thoughts and hugs, and lots of prayers that Mack is okay. Please keep us informed.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Our beloved English Bulldog, Mack, has just been diagnosed with lymphoma. He is only 5 years old. The diagnosis is based on chest x-rays showing multiple enlarged lymph nodes in different locations and elevated calcium in his blood. The doctor wants to do a biopsy to confirm the diagnosis and to determine if it is B cell or T cell lymphoma. My friend's dog had lymphoma and she said her dog was not the same after the biopsy and she wishes she hadn't done it. Her dog had T cell which can't be treated with chemotherapy anyway. Please reply with your experience regarding canine lymphoma, biopsies, and chemotherapy. We are trying to decide if we should move forward with the biopsy.

Also, we are concerned that the lymphoma was triggered because we started giving Mack allergy shots in October. The vet says that she does not know of a correlation between allergy shots and lymphoma. Please share with us any experience you have with giving bulldogs allergy shots.

Thank you.View attachment 110370

I neither have no experience and sorry you have to go through all of this. A lot of members knows I’m an essential oil user n have good knowledge about EO. If it was one of my dogs I can guarantee you that I would start immediately Frankincense oil right where the cancer is 3x a day. Add drops in your hands n massage in. Read the link and be the judge. Bare in mind I am NOT saying to stop seeing a vet. You still need to listen to the vet. But I sure would be using frankincense along with what the vet says. Most oils are just as safe for dogs. Frankincense can be used directly without diluting it as it’s safe.

https://draxe.com/frankincense-oil-cancer/

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/51130-essential-oils.html

(For others reading this post, Note... for cats, you NEED to dilute essential oils with a carrier oil !! Dogs have a different system)

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
Like everyone else here, I have no words of wisdom either.
And like everyone else, you, your dog, and your family are in my prayers.
I think I've said before, there are only a few things in life harder than loosing a pet.

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
I am so sorry to hear about Mack. I hope that he is feeling ok, despite this challenge. I don't have experience with lymphoma, but my boy Wilbur (age 6) was recently diagnosed with lymphocytic leukaemia (in October). He started having neurological symptoms (pain) suddenly one day and I didn't know what was happening. rushing him to my vet and then to my neurologist, he was diagnosed with hydrocephalus (see my previous posts). This was a challenge enough, and needed treatment immediately. The mystery was why his white blood cell count was sky high. This was how we discovered the leukaemia (specifically B-cell lymphocytic leukaemia).

For my part, I did not hesitate to have every diagnostic test performed. The CT Scan and MRI was done initially in relation to the hydrocephalus, and I opted for a spinal tap to see if there was an infection in his spinal fluid. From there, seeing the white cell count, I had an abdominal ultrasound to check for masses (negative) and subsequently a couple of very specialized blood tests done called TK and flow cytometry. I needed to know exactly what we were dealing with. If I had been able to been biopsy something, I would have.

Once the test results came back, and we had a diagnosis, I was able to make decisions. Wilbur is currently being treated with Chlorambucil, a chemo drug that has (so far) put his leukaemia into remission. He is not a candidate for radiation and I am not certain I would put him through that. He has had no side effects from the chemo at all - our struggle has been with the concurrent (and unrelated) hydrocephalus. To keep the fluid in his brain lowered, he has to be on prednisolone (a derivative of prednisone that is a little easier on the liver). by far the worst side effects at the beginning. He had to be on a moderate dose, and that was awful. Right now he is on a very low dose (5mg per day). I wish it was necessary but it is. He has monthly bloodwork to monitor his liver and check his blood. I am hoping we can lower the steroid even further.

Our prognosis is a year to 1/2 years. Its devastating. It is also difficult to accept this because right now, today, he is his normal goofy loving precious self. Right now, he is good. You would never know he is sick. I am treasuring every minute I have left with him. When he begins to fail, I will know it's time and that I have done everything I possibly can to give him the best days for as long as possible. Without treatment he would have succumbed within 6 weeks.

I guess my position is: you are dealing with a major medical situation. If I was in your shoes, I would have the biopsy to determine the type of lymphoma you are dealing with, and go from there. With treatment, you could give your boy more time. I was really worried I would be subjecting Wilbur to a horrible prolonged illness and chemo just for my sake. I can say for certain I haven't seen a single negative side effect from the chemo, and my doctors have stated that this isn't unusual in dogs.

My heart goes out to you - it is a heartbreaking diagnosis and I struggled with what to do. I wish I could tell you what to do, and I hope for the best for you and Mack. xo

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I love this site, but absolutely HATE hearing bad news. I am so sorry about Mack @Kendanimal We all have to make the decision that we think is the best one. It is one of the hardest decisions that someone has to make. Your heart will guide you, and you do the best your your baby, and not for yourself. Been there too many times, and I am praying for you to have strength to do what is best. I know you will.:pray::pray:

OP
K

kendranimal

Jan 14, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
Thank you for your reply. We have ordered CBD oil for our Mack.

What a beautiful boy!! So sorry you are all going through this... i have no personal experience with cancer in dogs, but have heard great results using cannibas oils.

We did have a friend with a Cane Corso having a biopsy done on a lump on her chest, it was cancer, she was herself mostly but more tired after the biopsy...

Sending tons of prayers and positive thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- - - Updated - - -

I am so sorry about Mack. I don't have experience with Lymphoma but Chumly had allergy shots weekly for over 5 years with no ill effects. They greatly improved his quality of life. Please do not blame yourself with the lymphoma being caused by the shots. I am sure they didn't. Please let us know how he is doing.

Thank you SO much for your reply. Your positive experience with the allergy shots has relieved our possible guilt.

OP
K

kendranimal

Jan 14, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
Thank you for your advice regarding the oils. I just ordered the frankincense.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for your reply. We are moving forward with a biopsy this Thursday morning.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
MACK IS A BEAUTIFUL BOY AND I WILL KEEP Y'ALL IN MY PRAYERS.

PLEASE KEEP US UPDATED.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thank you for your advice regarding the oils. I just ordered the frankincense.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for your reply. We are moving forward with a biopsy this Thursday morning.

We are all here to help as best we can but we’re no vets. Im glad you ordered it. Plz keep us posted on the biopsy. My thoughts are with you n Mack.

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Just thinking of you [MENTION=17961]kendranimal[/MENTION], how did the biopsy go? How is Mack doing?

OP
K

kendranimal

Jan 14, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
Update on Mack:
We did the biopsy on Mack last week and it went well. He had no issues because of it. We got the first set of results back confirming that it is lymphoma. Now we are waiting on the results to say if it's T cell or B cell. The B cell treated with the canine chemotherapy protocol has a better prognosis, which mind you don't mean a cure, but a longer extension of life around 12-14 months. If it's T cell (which it may be because he also has elevated calcium which is usually related to T cell) treated with chemotherapy, we may get another 6-9 months. If we don't treat with chemotherapy (and use only prednisone), he may last only 1-3 months. He has already started drinking more water an urinating more, which is related to the elevated calcium and is usually the first sign of the progression. I will make new post asking for anyone to share their experience with treating their English Bulldog with chemotherapy, as we are trying to decide whether to do it or not.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.