Help Needed! I think Farley had a seizure tonight

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well, it's Thursday night and I haven't heard anything yet from the vet..:nope: I called yesterday and they said they had no results yet. I thought for sure today would be the day!! *lol* I can't help it.. I am getting impatient... Farley is still seizure free, but his gums are pale and he looks like he is loosing weight. I'm sure that once I get the results, we will be able to get him looking and feeling better. ;) That's all I have to update so far... I think I need to have a glass of wine... I've been racked with tension headaches ALL week.:drink:

I hope you hear from them today.... sending hugs to you and Farley.
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION]... weight loss common?

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I hope you hear from them today.... sending hugs to you and Farley.
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION]... weight loss common?

No...not at all. Did you say if they did an MRI or not? How old is Farley?

OP
JennyBean

JennyBean

Nov 21, 2014
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Farley Foo (8 1/2 yrs old) RIP My precious FarlyFoo 7/24/2017
No...not at all. Did you say if they did an MRI or not? How old is Farley?

NO test results yet from the last blood test on Monday... Ughhh.... I believe this last blood test is being sent to a special lab that runs it.
Farley is 6 years old we believe, he was adopted. At his visit she didn't feel he needed an MRI yet. She was more concerned with the CBC and blood smear showing anemia. So she did xrays looking for tumors in his abdomen and lungs. That were she saw some pneumonia, which could have been from aspiration with seizures or just from allergies.
When she called me on Monday morning, she wanted approval for a special blood test to be ran. Because the lab had picked up possible tick/disease. She said that this special test would show what type it is so she can treat him with the right medications and antibiotics.

From what I have found online with tick diseases, weight loss, fatigue, dark urine , pneumonia and sometimes seizures can happen. All of those things Farley has had happening. It really interesting how these parasites can affect the whole body over time. I think that Farley has been infected before we adopted him... And that since we started him on Apoquel last summer for his severe allergies, that it has lowered his immune system enough for this disease to rear its ugly head. But that is just my thoughts at this time... *lol*

I'll be sure to update once I really find out something from the vet. Pray that we hear something Monday!! ;)

OP
JennyBean

JennyBean

Nov 21, 2014
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finally!! I have an update to share.

I stopped by the vets yesterday to get Farley's refill of Apoquel and tell the doctor that his getting congested and fatigued again since completing his antibiotic this weekend. While I was there the vet went to call the lab and see what the status was of his testing. They said that it was in in final testing phase.

So, now I just got of the phone with the Vet. She said that unfortunately the PCR test showed negative for the tick parasites. She went can called the pathologists to ask what this would mean since they said they saw a parasite on his blood smear. They basically told her that there are so many parasites that ticks can have that the PCR test doesn't test all of them. Just the common ones. So, the treatment plan now is to treat him like he has a tick illness. He has started Doxycycline and will be on it for a week. Then he will go in for a follow up and see how he is feeling. If he seems to be getting better acting then we will probably treat him for 1 month with the Doxycycline and then recheck with a CBC.
We also are going to try doing Apoquel every other day and see how he tolerates it. It does lower the immune system and is probably what is causing his respiratory issues and his possible tick illness to relapse after being dormant. His body can't fight off things like he used to. So, yes the Apoquel is awesome for itching. But, it is also a concern for keeping him healthy. I'll have to see what will come of it all. I just want him to have a happy quality of life.~

Thank you for reading and all the love and prayers. ;)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=13241]JennyBean[/MENTION].... I so hope all that this all works for you both. Please keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
JennyBean

JennyBean

Nov 21, 2014
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you !! I will, so far today he seems to be feeling better since starting the doxycyline. I think we maybe on the right track. ;)
@JennyBean.... I so hope all that this all works for you both. Please keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online