Help Needed! I think Farley had a seizure tonight

JennyBean

Nov 21, 2014
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Farley Foo (8 1/2 yrs old) RIP My precious FarlyFoo 7/24/2017
Hi everyone! I haven't posted in a while because Farley has been doing so well with his Apoquel and allergy drops.

I have now had two possible episodes with Farley having a seizure.
The first episode happened about Sunday, (3 days ago) at 12:30 am. I heard a shuffling running sound with choking type sounds coming from Farley in the living room. I flew out of bed and found him 1 ft from his bed on his side thrashing like he was trying to get up. ( Farley is very barrel shaped and never sleeps on his side.) I ran over and helped roll him onto his feet. He acted confused then hacked a few times licked his lips and went back to his bed like nothing happened. I thought that maybe this was some weird REM sleep that he acted out in.

But now this happened... At the same time!

I'm very concerned as I was woken up at 12:30 am by a crashing/running sound in my my living room. I found Farley about 3 feet from his bed on his belly spread eagle. He was stiffing and raising his head up with his front legs. He also also was laying in a puddle of urine.. This could have only been a 15-30 second episode. Scared me so bad, he was very hot feeling around his neck and shoulders. I ran to get a towel and cleaned him up. He seemed to come around and got up and went back in his bed.
'
Being that this has happened suddenly and at such an early time, I haven't been able to take a video.

He hasn't been acting odd during the day at all, and I haven't changed any medications, food or routines.

What do you guy's think? I'm going to put a call into the vet and see what they think. Farley is a little over 6 years old now.

Thank you~ I'm worried.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Poor little Farley. Ruthie has seizures and it's so tough to see them go through that. I would call and make an appt at the vet. They will be able to take some blood and decide the best course of action.

I know they are happening in the middle of the night and you can't rush him to the vet, but if he has one during the day take him immediately.

best of luck and let us know how it goes!

OP
JennyBean

JennyBean

Nov 21, 2014
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you @JennieS

Sorry about your Ruthie. It is scary to see for sure!! I did take him to the vet today. She was concerned and wanted him seen for sure.

Farley Update.. After a 2 hr visit today Farley had blood tests and Urinalysis and several abdominal / chest xrays. His blood test shows he has anemia, the xrays were done to check for obvious tumors or growths that would be causing the anemia. The only thing we found today was that he has low grade Pneumonia in his lungs. He was put on an antibiotic to see how his breathing is and the blood test and urine samples are being sent off to a different lab for pathology report. We are trying to see what is causing his anemia. He had a CBC done in October and was perfect... However he is on Apoquel and that lowers the immune system to help with his severe allergies. So he may have to get off that if it's causing the pneumonia.. As far as the seizures go, she feels it sounds like epilepsy,but it doesn't normal start that frequent. So, for the time being I am suppose to keep a seizure log and to record them and hope to have some more info Friday evening.. Thank for the concerns and keep Farley in your doggy prayers.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
How terrible and so scary! Yes, am praying now & will continue to pray
over Farley, that his seizures cause are found asap & controlled. Also,
his anemia's cause is found & pneumonia cleared up. Hugs to both of
you and please keep us updated.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Lots of hugs and prayers.... I did tag two other members with experience... Hopefully they will be along soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Thank you @JennieS

Sorry about your Ruthie. It is scary to see for sure!! I did take him to the vet today. She was concerned and wanted him seen for sure.

Farley Update.. After a 2 hr visit today Farley had blood tests and Urinalysis and several abdominal / chest xrays. His blood test shows he has anemia, the xrays were done to check for obvious tumors or growths that would be causing the anemia. The only thing we found today was that he has low grade Pneumonia in his lungs. He was put on an antibiotic to see how his breathing is and the blood test and urine samples are being sent off to a different lab for pathology report. We are trying to see what is causing his anemia. He had a CBC done in October and was perfect... However he is on Apoquel and that lowers the immune system to help with his severe allergies. So he may have to get off that if it's causing the pneumonia.. As far as the seizures go, she feels it sounds like epilepsy,but it doesn't normal start that frequent. So, for the time being I am suppose to keep a seizure log and to record them and hope to have some more info Friday evening.. Thank for the concerns and keep Farley in your doggy prayers.

Aw, thank you!

wow, i'm glad you took him to the vet before anything got worse. Sweet boy, I'll definitely keep you in my prayers. And please, keep us posted on his progress!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Praying for sweet Farley, that they get down to the cause and are able to get you a treatment plan. I know he will be just fine. Please give him a hug from me & Tyson!

OP
JennyBean

JennyBean

Nov 21, 2014
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you ladies~ He didn't have a seizure last night. I was ready though!! I started sleeping on the couch with my phone ready to record.*lol* Today, he is very alert and peppy. He seems like my old Farley. Yesterday, he was sluggish and seemed grumpy. He actually growled at the vet. He NEVER does that. She said that can be after effects from a seizure.

I'm still waiting on answers. And whatever happens, I will be sure to keep you all updated. This way we can all learn from our own experiences. I sure love this boy so much.

We are grateful for all the love and support!! XO

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Prayers are coming your way Farley for a Speedy Recovery and No More Seizures. I Pray all is Great with your tests. Love and Loads Of Kisses To You Sweet Farley.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I'm sorry I wasn't available to reply to this tag earlier in the week.

How is Farley now?

OP
JennyBean

JennyBean

Nov 21, 2014
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm sorry I wasn't available to reply to this tag earlier in the week.

How is Farley now?

HI Libra926, No worries. I didn't have any updates on Friday after all. Farley has been seizure free since the 30th. I have started a seizure log and will try to capture it on video if it happens again. He seems to be less wheezy since he has been on antibiotics and he has been a bit peppy.
The Vet called me this morning with tests results. She said that the blood work was showing that his anemia is being caused by a possible blood born parasite disease. ( I think I am remembering that right.) She said it could be from ticks,fleas and then she rattled something off that I don't even know how to spell much less pronounce. I had to give permission to have the lab run another test that will give her the right information so she can treat him with a the correct medications.

I feel bad for my boy. I never knew he was sick, I thought Bullies just like to sleep. He has never had fleas or ticks while in my care. (He was a puppy mill stud) I adopted him about 4 years ago. He was heartworm positive and was treated for that, and he has learned to become a dog that receives love and pampering. :)
I guess the good news is that he doesn't have cancer... The bad news is that we still don' t know what is wrong or what is the cause of the seizures last week. The vet is going to call me tomorrow if she gets the results. I'll keep you all updated on what happens.

Thank you for the prayers and love!! It is helping us get through the tough times. Much love to everyone!!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
HI Libra926, No worries. I didn't have any updates on Friday after all. Farley has been seizure free since the 30th. I have started a seizure log and will try to capture it on video if it happens again. He seems to be less wheezy since he has been on antibiotics and he has been a bit peppy.
The Vet called me this morning with tests results. She said that the blood work was showing that his anemia is being caused by a possible blood born parasite disease. ( I think I am remembering that right.) She said it could be from ticks,fleas and then she rattled something off that I don't even know how to spell much less pronounce. I had to give permission to have the lab run another test that will give her the right information so she can treat him with a the correct medications.

I feel bad for my boy. I never knew he was sick, I thought Bullies just like to sleep. He has never had fleas or ticks while in my care. (He was a puppy mill stud) I adopted him about 4 years ago. He was heartworm positive and was treated for that, and he has learned to become a dog that receives love and pampering. :)
I guess the good news is that he doesn't have cancer... The bad news is that we still don' t know what is wrong or what is the cause of the seizures last week. The vet is going to call me tomorrow if she gets the results. I'll keep you all updated on what happens.

Thank you for the prayers and love!! It is helping us get through the tough times. Much love to everyone!!

Seizure free is great. Farley is blessed to have such wonderful parents who love him so much. I hope they find the cause, and happy the meds are helping. I will continue to keep you all in my prayers & keep us posted on his progress [emoji4]

OP
JennyBean

JennyBean

Nov 21, 2014
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Seizure free is great. Farley is blessed to have such wonderful parents who love him so much. I hope they find the cause, and happy the meds are helping. I will continue to keep you all in my prayers & keep us posted on his progress [emoji4]

Awe. Thank you !! Yes we love him very much. I waited around all day yesterday, no call from Vet. So, I am sure it will happen today. I'll update you when I find out! ;)

OP
JennyBean

JennyBean

Nov 21, 2014
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Awe. Thank you !! Yes we love him very much. I waited around all day yesterday, no call from Vet. So, I am sure it will happen today. I'll update you when I find out! ;)

Well, it's Thursday night and I haven't heard anything yet from the vet..:nope: I called yesterday and they said they had no results yet. I thought for sure today would be the day!! *lol* I can't help it.. I am getting impatient... Farley is still seizure free, but his gums are pale and he looks like he is loosing weight. I'm sure that once I get the results, we will be able to get him looking and feeling better. ;) That's all I have to update so far... I think I need to have a glass of wine... I've been racked with tension headaches ALL week.:drink:

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.