twopolaks11

May 31, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hazel Rose
Back in February, my 3-year-old English Bulldog started having issues with her tail and tail pocket. She's been on antibiotics and prescribed antiseptic/antifungal wipes ever since. It gets better but never clears up completely. I've seen the posts on here about essential oils and tried that with her but it seemed to make it worse. The skin scrape they did just showed white blood cells indicating infection. Now the veterinarian is suggesting a tail amputation stating that it's just her breed and the way her tail is formed. Prior to this, we regularly cleaned her tail and folds and never had any issues.

This week, my 4-year-old Frenchton (Boston Terrier/French Bulldog) has started having the same tail issue - inflamed, hair falling out, and a brownish discharge. We've never had to clean his tail as he doesn't have a corkscrew tail or a tail pocket like my English Bulldog does. I am at a loss as to what is going on with both of them and it can't be a coincidence that they are both having the same issue.

I thought it could possibly be what we are getting the yard treated with but when I looked up the records, we didn't get the yard treated until late March, my EB's tail issues started in early February. The only other thing I can think of is that both of them take Apoquel for allergies and I read it can suppress their immune system and make it easier for skin infections.

Food: The Honest Kitchen Limited Ingredient Diet Turkey Recipe Grain-Free Dehydrated Dog Food
Supplements: Only Natural Pet Allergy, Skin & Coat Hemp Soft Chews, Melatonin

Any help is appreciated...I just want to cry now that both of them are having the same issues.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Awww don’t cry. It’s ok! Brutus has a tail pocket and I use chlorohexidrine wipes and an antifungal powder called zeasorb on him. It keeps his tail so nice, dry and clean! I’d give it a shot before you go the amputation route.
Hazel has a normal tail but hers has been brown and goopy too. I make sure to wipe them, put that powder in and leave it for a day or two before I clean again.

Tails and folds have been crazy this year because of the rain and humidity here. I just had to change Brutus food to get his folds to clear up.

Hang in there, someone here will have better advice than me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T

twopolaks11

May 31, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hazel Rose
Thank you! I will look into that Zeasorb.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you! I will look into that Zeasorb.

Jen has given great info!

Can you post a picture?

My boy had to have his tail amputated, his tail was growing back into him

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I would definitely go the cleaning route before jumping to surgery... the gang gave you great advice!

OP
T

twopolaks11

May 31, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hazel Rose
I would definitely go the cleaning route before jumping to surgery... the gang gave you great advice!

Yeah, we've been cleaning both of their tails twice per day with Duoxo wipes.

OP
T

twopolaks11

May 31, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hazel Rose
There really isn't anything to take a picture of because it's deep inside and my Frenchton's tail skin is black, so you can't really see the redness.

OP
T

twopolaks11

May 31, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hazel Rose
Just returned from the vet with my Frenchton and it's a bacterial infection, no yeast indicated. She told me "It's the luck of the draw, you have two dogs with bad tail formations." I don't believe it for a second. There's no way that two dogs (3 and 4 years old) that both had absolutely NO ISSUES prior to this, both now have the same tail issues at the same time. I questioned her about the Apoquel and she stated it doesn't cause skin infections. All of the research I have found on this drug indicates that it can cause secondary bacterial and yeast infections. Studies have shown several dogs have developed widespread, deep pyoderma while taking Apoquel. I'm going to keep them off of it and see if it helps their immune systems come back to fight this crap.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Just returned from the vet with my Frenchton and it's a bacterial infection, no yeast indicated. She told me "It's the luck of the draw, you have two dogs with bad tail formations." I don't believe it for a second. There's no way that two dogs (3 and 4 years old) that both had absolutely NO ISSUES prior to this, both now have the same tail issues at the same time. I questioned her about the Apoquel and she stated it doesn't cause skin infections. All of the research I have found on this drug indicates that it can cause secondary bacterial and yeast infections. Studies have shown several dogs have developed widespread, deep pyoderma while taking Apoquel. I'm going to keep them off of it and see if it helps their immune systems come back to fight this crap.

I use Cytopoint injections for my French Bulldog for his allergies. He used to take Apoquel until Cytopint came out.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

great research on your part.... get their immune system strengthen and then get the Cytopoint as Citty suggests, we use it and Lambeau does great , no more ear infections and very little scratching

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
My Ruthie used cytopoint and she had relief within hours from her allergies and cleared up. It’s awesome!

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
Back in February, my 3-year-old English Bulldog started having issues with her tail and tail pocket. She's been on antibiotics and prescribed antiseptic/antifungal wipes ever since. It gets better but never clears up completely. I've seen the posts on here about essential oils and tried that with her but it seemed to make it worse. The skin scrape they did just showed white blood cells indicating infection. Now the veterinarian is suggesting a tail amputation stating that it's just her breed and the way her tail is formed. Prior to this, we regularly cleaned her tail and folds and never had any issues.

This week, my 4-year-old Frenchton (Boston Terrier/French Bulldog) has started having the same tail issue - inflamed, hair falling out, and a brownish discharge. We've never had to clean his tail as he doesn't have a corkscrew tail or a tail pocket like my English Bulldog does. I am at a loss as to what is going on with both of them and it can't be a coincidence that they are both having the same issue.

I thought it could possibly be what we are getting the yard treated with but when I looked up the records, we didn't get the yard treated until late March, my EB's tail issues started in early February. The only other thing I can think of is that both of them take Apoquel for allergies and I read it can suppress their immune system and make it easier for skin infections.

Food: The Honest Kitchen Limited Ingredient Diet Turkey Recipe Grain-Free Dehydrated Dog Food
Supplements: Only Natural Pet Allergy, Skin & Coat Hemp Soft Chews, Melatonin

Any help is appreciated...I just want to cry now that both of them are having the same issues.

I’m so sorry to hear about this issue! I am a first time bulldog owner, but a friend of mine has two EBs that had issues here in south Texas with infections in her pups tail pockets because of the heat here. She uses squishface wrinkle paste. I recently bought it for our little guy and it keep his tail pocket dry and clean. It’s meant to fight infections as well. Maybe give that a try if nothing else works. We use it every other day but can be used everyday to fight an infection.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
This is what I do for my brindle Nyala’s tail pocket. Been doing this 4yrs. Works great. It’s essential oils. You need to buy quality like DoTerra or Young Living... DoTerra is less expensive but very good quality.

15 drops Lavender
15 drops Geranium
15 drops Frankincense
15 drops Basil
10 drops Arborvitae

Add these oils to......

Fractionated Coconut Oil the clear one to fill the bottle that holds about 4oz...and fill about 3/4 of the way. Shake bottle well before using. I also use this mix for my dog’s ears as maintenance. Nyala avoided amputation cause of this mix.

Members online

No members online now.