Florence- ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE

Florence

Dec 19, 2023
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Florence
Hi there, my bulldog Florence is having some skin issues, I wanted some advice please? I rescued her, her skin seemed badly infected and sore. I took her to the vets, they prescribed antibiotics, steroids and medicated shampoo. I noticed a difference when she was taking the steroids but found the antibiotics didn't do much. She's just finished her course and only has the shampoo left. The past two days her skin is extremely itchy and she's caused herself to bleed from scratching. Her skin was also quite dry. I tried the apple cider vinegar spray but haven't seen any effect yet. Her pads when I got her had a yellow growth type thing on them which seems to slowly be coming back. I can't keep taking her to rgw vets as its too costly and I don't want to keep pumping her full of drugs. I changed her food this work to Arden Grange Sensitive. If there is any advise at all I would greatly appreciate it as she was doing so well but now I'm worried she's ill again. I just want her to be happy and healthy and not be in pain. Many thanks,
Florence's owner :)
20231221_200306.jpg

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Make sure the dog food that you feed does not contain chicken. Chicken can be allergy cause for dogs/bullies. Soak her feet in apple cider vinegar,or epsom salts and make sure they are totally dry afterwards. Get NuStock and apply that to sores. A picture that shows her problems would be helpful.

OP
F

Florence

Dec 19, 2023
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Florence
Make sure the dog food that you feed does not contain chicken. Chicken can be allergy cause for dogs/bullies. Soak her feet in apple cider vinegar,or epsom salts and make sure they are totally dry afterwards. Get NuStock and apply that to sores. A picture that shows her problems would be helpful.
17032724971842244255478096302172.jpg
17032724971842244255478096302172.jpg

OP
F

Florence

Dec 19, 2023
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Florence
Tha
Thank you for the reply I have attached pictures and will upload food. All advice welcome please 🙏

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
@Florence way too many potatoes in there. More than meat. Potato is full of starch. Then there’s chicken oil. That bag of kibbles is simply fillers. You guys in England have great butcher shops. Pit stop in some and ask if they do raw dog food. You definitely need to change that food she‘s eating now. I’m not sure what’s in England but Acana n Wainwright. If you want kibbles at least add 40-50 grams of raw liver as a kibble topper 2x a day. Liver is the highest form of minerals which will heal the skin. That being said, Vets, prescribed antibiotics, steroids and medicated shampoo. Did they do a skin test? Do you use detergents or fabric softeners too strong for her?

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Hi there, my bulldog Florence is having some skin issues, I wanted some advice please? I rescued her, her skin seemed badly infected and sore. I took her to the vets, they prescribed antibiotics, steroids and medicated shampoo. I noticed a difference when she was taking the steroids but found the antibiotics didn't do much. She's just finished her course and only has the shampoo left. The past two days her skin is extremely itchy and she's caused herself to bleed from scratching. Her skin was also quite dry. I tried the apple cider vinegar spray but haven't seen any effect yet. Her pads when I got her had a yellow growth type thing on them which seems to slowly be coming back. I can't keep taking her to rgw vets as its too costly and I don't want to keep pumping her full of drugs. I changed her food this work to Arden Grange Sensitive. If there is any advise at all I would greatly appreciate it as she was doing so well but now I'm worried she's ill again. I just want her to be happy and healthy and not be in pain. Many thanks,
Florence's owner :)View attachment 125042
This looks like Demodectic Mange to me. Treat with monthly doses of Nexgard. Expect a complete recovery in 4-6 months. Boost immune system with Probiotic Miracle, Dinovite, or similar product and/or fresh(refrigerated) sauerkraut 3-4 times a week. Yeast infections often accompany the Demodex, Apple Cider Vinegar sprays over the whole body can help with that. Mix 1-4 with water(1-ACV + 4-Water) and spray over whole body after every bath without rinsing. Spray it on and rub it into the skin, inside ears, between toes, under tail, under neck, into skin folds, etc. Spray at least twice a week. DO NOT let it get into eyes.
Avoid any food with sweet potatoes...that feeds the yeast. Even regular potatoes will feed the yeast but sweet potatoes are the worst.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Chlorehexidine helped keep our boy's skin in check. We used eg Douxo pads on his face if needed and diluted chlorhexidine on sores and feet. Sometimes chlorhexidin dog shampoo, e.g when he had hot spots. I understand you cannot take Florence (lovely name and beautiful dog!) to the vet all the time but you might want to look into the use of chlorehexidine and see if that is something your vet would recommend you use.

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
Chlorehexidine helped keep our boy's skin in check. We used eg Douxo pads on his face if needed and diluted chlorhexidine on sores and feet. Sometimes chlorhexidin dog shampoo, e.g when he had hot spots. I understand you cannot take Florence (lovely name and beautiful dog!) to the vet all the time but you might want to look into the use of chlorehexidine and see if that is something your vet would recommend you use.
Second this. I made a post with an explanation on how to do a soak:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
As Chip stated. and the fact that his fur is so thin makes me thing he needs a skin scrape done to check for mange. I also agree with others on how you can are and help him recover... definitely change the food, I follow a bulldog on IG out of England an he feeds raw food called Oodles, maybe look into that food.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
As Chip stated. and the fact that his fur is so thin makes me thing he needs a skin scrape done to check for mange. I also agree with others on how you can are and help him recover... definitely change the food, I follow a bulldog on IG out of England an he feeds raw food called Oodles, maybe look into that food.
Would that happen to be Pablo & Diego? They are so funny! Pablo is no fool!
Oodles looks like a good food.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Would that happen to be Pablo & Diego? They are so funny! Pablo is no fool!
Oodles looks like a good food.
Sure is!! I absolutely love Pablo.. such a handsome and smart bully boy!!

Members online

No members online now.