Deep tail pocket, your cleaning techniques??

Fbjdd

Mar 16, 2012
Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bongo
Hi Friends,

Our Frankie is 11 months old and he is our second bulldog. Our first boy Bongo RIP did not have a tail pocket. Frankie has a deep and really really tight pocket.
We use wet wipes and dry it and a couple times a week we also clean it with Malcetic wipes. He had a pocket infection when he was six months old ,that is when we discovered he had a tail pocket and how deep it was we didn’t know because his tail is to the left of his butthole.
Since then no infection and we keep it as clean as possible but looking to find other techniques on how they deal with this issue and how/what your cleaning methods are?

Thanks all for your input!

Attachments

• IMG_8627.jpeg
    IMG_8627.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Hi Friends,

Our Frankie is 11 months old and he is our second bulldog. Our first boy Bongo RIP did not have a tail pocket. Frankie has a deep and really really tight pocket.
We use wet wipes and dry it and a couple times a week we also clean it with Malcetic wipes. He had a pocket infection when he was six months old ,that is when we discovered he had a tail pocket and how deep it was we didn’t know because his tail is to the left of his butthole.
Since then no infection and we keep it as clean as possible but looking to find other techniques on how they deal with this issue and how/what your cleaning methods are?

Thanks all for your input!

He is cute!

For the tail pocket, you can use colloidal silver spray and wipe it with the cloth and keep it dry is the main thing so it’s dry.

I actually only clean my dogs tail pocket when he has a bath which right now is 1 day a week(due to skin infection from hives Not related to allergies).

Colloidal silver is great antifungal and antibacterial, then use would just dry it after. Great topical for infections too.

Keeping that area clean in general helps too so bacteria doesn’t go into tail pocket.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Been 7 yrs I clean Nyala’s tail pocket. I use to clean every 3 days, for first couple yrs, then once a week now every 2 weeks. Fractionate Coconut Oil, lavender n tea tree. I modified it to:
4oz FCO(fractionated coconut oil)
10 drops of Lavender
6 drops of Tea Tree This is @helsonwheels formula. @Fbjdd

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
We use wet wipes and dry it and a couple times a week we also clean it with Malcetic wipes.
What you're doing closely matches my own routine. Here are a few modifications to consider:

• Chlorhexidine Solution: Instead of using Mal-a-ket wipes, consider switching to a chlorhexidine solution. You can buy a gallon of "Chlorhexidine 2%" for around $20. There's a link to one such product on chewy.com in my signature. Use gauze or a soft cloth soaked in this solution for cleaning. This will not only be more effective but also more cost-efficient in the long run. Keep the gallon in a dark place, it will last a year or more.
  • Don't use the Wet Wipes: I'm not a fan of regular wet wipes for tail pocket cleaning. Your homemade chlorhexidine solution wipes will be more efficient and reduce costs over time. Wet wipes work great for coming in from outside, or a face wipe after eating, but in the pocket I don't like the idea as much. One of my vets believes they contribute to chin acne.
  • Drying: It's essential to keep the tail pocket dry. I used to dab corn powder with a q-tip after drying. I've since transitioned to a zinc-oxide-based talc powder. Be aware that if corn powder becomes damp, it can turn gummy, though it remains straightforward to clean. Corn starch on dry days should maintain the pocket's dryness, making daily cleaning unnecessary. The zinc-oxide powder I use is in my signature, but it is expensive and given your current routine, I believe corn starch should work well for you.
  • Neo-Pre-Def: If you face any issues, consider using Neo-Pre-Def instead of corn starch. It requires a prescription and can sometimes be challenging to procure. Some vets have it in stock. There's a generic version in my signature. ;)
  • Bath Tips: Minimize baths. After each bath, treat Frankie's tail pocket as if it's prone to infection for the next few days.

Last edited:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Been 7 yrs I clean Nyala’s tail pocket. I use to clean every 3 days, for first couple yrs, then once a week now every 2 weeks. Fractionate Coconut Oil, lavender n tea tree. I modified it to:
4oz FCO(fractionated coconut oil)
10 drops of Lavender
6 drops of Tea Tree This is @helsonwheels formula. @Fbjdd
You’re missing a couple oils 😁

yes I modified it to the original cause Nyala needs less oils.
10 drops of lavender, 10 of Basil, 5 tea tree, 5 lemongrass which is an antibacterial

Btw, basil ease minor skin irritations, cramps, joint pain, muscular aches etc……

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I use witch hazel on a cotton pad. our girl had a very tight tail and deep pocket... neo-def powder was a life savior during the summer months

Members online

No members online now.