Tail pocket infection

Archibald

Jul 24, 2022
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Archie
So poor Archie has had a tail pocket infection for months that we cannot seem to treat. Last month, our vet put him on oral antibiotics for 14 days. In addition, I was told to clean the area twice daily with Malaseb flush and then treat with topical antibiotic. After the 14 day period, the infection didnā€™t seem any better. I brought him back to the vet who told me this is something Archie is just going to have to live with, and we need to just keep cleaning out the tail pocket. This ā€œadviceā€ does not sit well with me. Archie is in clear discomfort, if not pain, and he is literally oozing from his tail pocket. I asked about tail amputation and was immediately told no due to the location of Archieā€™s tail to his spine.

Does anyone have any recommendations for effective treatment? Anyone have a good Bully vet in Massachusetts they would recommend?

Thanks in advance.

jfulen

Dec 19, 2015
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly "Harley" Quinn Mayhem
Our bully is healing from a tail pocket infection right now. Our vet treated our bully by sedating her, cleaning out the infection, and we've had her on antibiotics and pain meds. She is feeling MUCH better (got mad at us for not bringing her food to her yesterday) and goes in for her follow-up Wednesday.

Has your vet cleaned the tail pocket or has the vet given antibiotics only? There may be debris lodged in the area causing the infection.

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
You need to be absolutely vigilant with the cleaning and treatment. The malseb wipes are good but you can save money and I think do a better job with gauze/medical ā€œspongesā€ soaked, soaked, in chlorhexidine. Ask your vet for a prescription for Neo-predef, and refill it when you get down to half. You can fill it online but you may have to search a bit. Some vets have it in house but not many. Get the pocket dry before putting the powder and be careful to get the powder into every crevice.

It will be necessary to use two people. A ā€œdoggie liftā€ will work but it will make the tail more difficult to get at. Just be gentle and most importantly thorough. Soak and sit the area then gently dry and get/push the powder into the crevices. Once you have the dog calmed, spend some time with your qtips gently probing to understand the area youā€™re dealing with.

Read through the post @helsonwheels linked.

Also, no more baths. The tail is never to get wet. When the inevitable bath happens, treat the tail pocket as if itā€™s already infected, and it wonā€™t get there.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
So poor Archie has had a tail pocket infection for months that we cannot seem to treat. Last month, our vet put him on oral antibiotics for 14 days. In addition, I was told to clean the area twice daily with Malaseb flush and then treat with topical antibiotic. After the 14 day period, the infection didnā€™t seem any better. I brought him back to the vet who told me this is something Archie is just going to have to live with, and we need to just keep cleaning out the tail pocket. This ā€œadviceā€ does not sit well with me. Archie is in clear discomfort, if not pain, and he is literally oozing from his tail pocket. I asked about tail amputation and was immediately told no due to the location of Archieā€™s tail to his spine.

Does anyone have any recommendations for effective treatment? Anyone have a good Bully vet in Massachusetts they would recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Colloidal silver you can use topically.

It can help with infections.

You can also put Dermachlor 4 mousse or Dermachlor 4 shampoo on the tail pocket, thatā€™s also good for infections.

If there is a skin infection or skin ear or eye infection, Riva Remedies brand has a product called Tissue Aid, and that you give orally, 5-10 drops depending on size of dog.
Itā€™s good for treating infections of the skin ears and eyes.

It has treated a Mild skin infection in one of my dogs, then topical treatment with the mousse or bath or wipes helps get rid of it faster.

Natural Dog Company brand makes a Wrinkle Balm, and I use it as needed, you can use it in the tail pocket for maintenance/preventative when itā€™s cleared up. Works very well.

Members online

No members online now.