Slippery Elm Bark (I love this stuff!)

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Useful for digestive upsets of all varieties as well as diarrhea and constipation, Slippery Elm will go a long way in solving many acute problems. Internally and externally, Slippery Elm soothes and tones tissues while drawing out and eliminating toxins from the body. From mouth to colon, it acts as a lubricant and protectant, making it an excellent choice for any inflammation or ulceration of the gastrointestinal tract.

As a nutritious, anti-nausea food, Slippery Elm has no equal. It contains vitamins A, C, K, B complex, and is high in calcium and magnesium. Due to its gentle action and easy assimilation, Slippery Elm Gruel is helpful as a food during convalescence and will often be accepted and tolerated when all other food is refused. Think of it especially after intestinal surgery. This gruel is also useful in cases of bronchitis or kennel cough (soothes respiratory passages), urethritis (soothes and lubricates urinary tract), gastritis (soothes stomach distress and acts as an antacid), arthritis (acts as a joint lubricant), and colitis (soothes irritable bowel).

For diarrhea, slowly pour 12 oz. hot or boiling water over 1 T. of powdered bark, stirring constantly until mixture is smooth. Add a little honey if desired (dogs only).

If constipation is the problem, use only 1 tsp. powder and proceed as above. Note that in smaller doses, Slippery Elm acts as a soothing lubricant while in larger doses, it acts as an herbal “glue” or bandage that the body will use where and as it is needed.

To make Slippery Elm Gruel, mix 1 tsp. of the powder with 1 cup water or broth in a pan. Heat slowly to a boil, stirring often (a wire wisk works best for this). Reduce heat and let simmer 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly. Take off heat. Add honey and/or other supplements if desired. Let cool and add to food, or feed separately as a porridge, or by syringe if necessary.

Because it coats the digestive tract, it makes the absorbtion of other medications more difficult. It should be given either 1.5 before or 2 hours after administering medications or other supplements.

Mix about 1/4 teaspoon of Slippery Elm bark
powder with cold water for every 10 pounds of body weight
Repeat dose 3-4 times daily until symptoms subside.
Unused portions of these preparations can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.

Externally, Slippery Elm makes an excellent poultice for boils, abscesses, ulcers, hot spots or burns. Simply moisten the powder with enough water to make a paste and apply to the area. Mixed with honey and a little goldenseal you have a wonderful antibacterial, soothing dressing for any wound, sore, or burn (add bandage if necessary).

I use it on my son's canker sores. The stuff is amazing!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I bought some for Usko and for myself from Amazon.

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online