Supplements

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
These are bits that I've found around the internet. I'm listing these by their value for kidney patients but also adding the benefits any dog...

You should check with your vet before adding any supplements to his/her diet just to be sure it doesn't interact with any medications you might be giving.

Dog Size Reference
Small = 5 to 25 lbs
Medium = 25 to 50 lbs
Large = 50 to 75 lbs
Giant = over 75 lbs

Vitamin B Complex:
B Vitamins help with nerve development, help to maintain kidney function, good muscle tone in the gastrointestinal tract and help with eyes and skin. Vitamin B does not help the kidneys specifically, but it is a water soluble vitamin that is flushed from the body more quickly by dogs with kidney disease, due to their drinking and urinating more than normal.

(it also helps with the symptoms of menopause ladies. No more hot flashes :) )

Small: 25 mg twice/day
Medium: 50 mg twice/day
Large: 75 mg twice/day
Giant: 75-100 mg twice/day

VITAMIN E:
This
antioxidant helps with healing, the nervous system, aids circulation and prevents cell damage. Extra vitamin E in the dog food diet is generally a good idea because it:

• Aids natural body functions
  • Helps fight disease
  • Helps to ward off the effects of pollution
Vitamin E can act as a blood thinner, so some vets don't like to supplement it. However, long term fish oil dosing can deplete E. That's why it's recommended. (even only giving it every couple of days)
Small: 50-100 IU
Medium: 100-200 IU
Large: 200-400 IU
Giant: 400-800 IU

CoQ10:
Cells that benefit the most from the addition of coenzyme Q10 are those that have a more rapid turnover, including heart, gingiva, mucosal cells of the intestines, and immune system cells. When the body is exhausted by fighting disease, Co-Q10 is beneficial as a supplement, enhancing all body functions. It is especially helpful when fighting cancer and/or radiation/chemotherapy.

Some conditions that may improve with Coenzyme Q10 supplementation include:
  1. Dental disease
  2. Gum disease, gingivitis, inflammation in the mouth
  3. Immune boosting
  4. Diabetes
  5. Heart diseases, including
  • cardiomyopathy
  • heart murmurs
  • enlarged heart
  • rapid heart beats (tachycardia)
  • irregular heart beats (arrhythmia)
All sizes: 2 mg per pound

PROBIOTIC:
Helps control yeast and yeast related rashes and skin problems; Helps maintain a healthy digestion; Helps treat diarrhea and prevent diarrhea and constipation in dogs; Helps eliminate smelly stools and bad-smelling gas; Helps reduce bad breath; Helps counteract the destructive side effects of antibiotic therapy; Helps prevent shedding and scratching caused by stress from digestive imbalances; Improves dog smell overall; Reduces excess gas.

Dog probiotics, like any probiotic, are live cultures and are generally unstable at temperatures over 75 degrees. HOWEVER, the temperature inside the body is well over 75 degrees, not to mention that the probiotics would have to pass through hostile stomach acid and bile to get to the intestine. The answer is to buy a probiotic supplement that contains stabilized strains of bacteria. A probiotic that requires refrigeration is a red flag that it is not stable and will die on impact with the body. Make sure you read the label of any dog probiotics to be sure that the probiotics are stabilized. Also be sure that your probiotic contains prebiotics (or a prebiotic, such as FOS).
Small: 1/4 human dose
Medium: 1/2 human dose
Large: 3/4 human dose
Giant: Human dose

GLUCOSAMINE:
Here are the signs of when glucosamine may be helpful for your dog: Difficulty or adverse reaction to walking, playing, or going up stairs; Falling behind you on walks; General lethargy; Difficulty or adverse reaction to walking, playing, or going up stairs; Limping; Difficulty getting up when laying down; Signs of pain when petted or touched; Aversive to any contacts
Small: 200-500 mg
Medium: 500-750 mg
Large: 1000-1500 mg
Giant: 1000-1500 mg

Vitamin C:
This supplement helps aid the uptake of iron into the system. It helps with collagen (tissue) building, and supports the immune system. normally, the Ascorbic Acid form is recommended, so you are not adding additional calcium, sodium or magnesium that you will find in the Ascorbate forms. Vitamin C can sometimes cause stomach upset of diarrhea, so you may need to discontinue it if this occurs. Vitamin C does not help the kidneys specifically, but it is a water soluble vitamin that is flushed from the body more quickly by dogs with kidney disease, due to their drinking and urinating more than normal.

Give approximately 100 mg twice a day to a small dog (5-25 lb.), 250 mg twice a day to a medium dog (25-50 lb.),
500 mg twice a day to a large dog (50-75 lb.),
and 1,000 mg twice a day to larger dogs.

Calcium:
You should supplement dog health with calcium more than any other mineral (assuming they are not receiving enough from other sources), as it is used in:
  • Bone formation
  • Blood coagulation
  • Muscle contraction
  • Nerve impulse transmission
Vitamin A:
It is important to supplement dog health with Vitamin A as it is necessary for the immune system, normal growth and development and reproduction. In addition, it can help prevent dog cancer, slow down aging and protect your dog’s body from the harmful effects of pollutants and chemicals. The lack of Vitamin A can lead to a heap of problems, including skin and respiratory tract disorders and bone formation problems.

As long as your dog is getting the correct serving of vegetables in each meal, they are able to create their own Vitamin A from the carotene. But if you omit vegetables from your dog’s diet and they are not getting it from their kibble, another source of Vitamin A is required.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
This is great information! Thanks for doing this Bev! I wondered what supplements I should give to Brutus and this gives me a guide!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
geez i had no idea reading my blog would start something lol. kudos bev for doing this. you have so much info to pass along to others. im in awe of what you know. :bravo:

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
cowsmom;bt763 said:
geez i had no idea reading my blog would start something lol. kudos bev for doing this. you have so much info to pass along to others. im in awe of what you know. :bravo:

see what you inspired in me :)

Benedict2013

Dec 25, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Benedict
This is great, I have a new pooch that has problems when he runs and jumps a lot witch he cant help he is super active he's only 11 weeks, had to take him to the vet to get x-ray for a limp the vet did nothing!!! but charge me a arm and a leg for a emergency visit. so frustrating.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online