Potential danger of essential oils

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
This was on my local Bulldog FB page so I thought I would pass it along. The dog in question is a French Bulldog.

WARNING!!!! Saturday night I got home late and my dog didnā€™t recognize me. Being a nanny I thought I woke him up and he was having a night terror. Sunday he was still acting weird. I realized I had been running my new diffuser and decided to turn it off. Sunday afternoon he was feeling better. Today at work my dog sitter said he wouldnā€™t come out from beneath the bed (very odd behavior for this happy guy). I came home from work early and again he was very confused about who I was so I took him to emergency. Turns out the tea tree oil I was using in the diffuser is toxic for dogs. I didnā€™t even put on his body. Thankfully tests show that his liver is okay but we arenā€™t out of the woods yet. It is a full 72 hours after exposure. He was given fluids under his skin to try to clear out the toxins. The vet and poison control say they are seeing more and more of these cases as the popularity of essential oils is growing. Please be sure the essential oils you are using are not toxic for dogs or cats (you can find a list online... turns out tea tree is one of the worst). I am very upset so I would appreciate it if people didnā€™t condemn me as a bad puppy mommy, but I wanted to share as to not have anybody elseā€™s babies go through this.

UPDATE: Iko is feeling much better today! He is eating and sleeping and most importantly knows who I am! I want to make it clear that I by no means am suggesting that people do not use essential oils. They can be a great tool for many ailments. I am just suggesting that people research the potential danger and harm that some of these oils can cause to their pets. Thank you to all for your concern and support!!!! Much love, Ike and Erin
Image may contain: dog and indoor

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
This was on my local Bulldog FB page so I thought I would pass it along. The dog in question is a French Bulldog.

WARNING!!!! Saturday night I got home late and my dog didnā€™t recognize me. Being a nanny I thought I woke him up and he was having a night terror. Sunday he was still acting weird. I realized I had been running my new diffuser and decided to turn it off. Sunday afternoon he was feeling better. Today at work my dog sitter said he wouldnā€™t come out from beneath the bed (very odd behavior for this happy guy). I came home from work early and again he was very confused about who I was so I took him to emergency. Turns out the tea tree oil I was using in the diffuser is toxic for dogs. I didnā€™t even put on his body. Thankfully tests show that his liver is okay but we arenā€™t out of the woods yet. It is a full 72 hours after exposure. He was given fluids under his skin to try to clear out the toxins. The vet and poison control say they are seeing more and more of these cases as the popularity of essential oils is growing. Please be sure the essential oils you are using are not toxic for dogs or cats (you can find a list online... turns out tea tree is one of the worst). I am very upset so I would appreciate it if people didnā€™t condemn me as a bad puppy mommy, but I wanted to share as to not have anybody elseā€™s babies go through this.

UPDATE: Iko is feeling much better today! He is eating and sleeping and most importantly knows who I am! I want to make it clear that I by no means am suggesting that people do not use essential oils. They can be a great tool for many ailments. I am just suggesting that people research the potential danger and harm that some of these oils can cause to their pets. Thank you to all for your concern and support!!!! Much love, Ike and Erin

Sadly there are different qualities of oils. Iā€™ve been using EO for years n even on my dogs. Tea tree can be dangerous if you donā€™t know how to use it. Iā€™ve been adding it to Nyalaā€™s mix for her tail pockets n been like over 6months. Sheā€™s still perky, healthy n in shape. I use it also on an oxy pad to clean Dukeā€™s bad acne. Itā€™s 75% better. Was a thick acne crust. I only use a couple drops n thatā€™s it. I put it every single day in my diffuser and they both breath it in daily. Tea Tree kills pathogens in the air.

Iā€™ve said it numerous times always....ALWAYS use a carrier oil if youā€™re going to use tea tree or any oils on your pet UNLESS you know what youā€™re doing. There are certain essential oils like frankincense you donā€™t need a carrier oil n more of other oils. Iā€™m just curious what else she added in the diffuser. One oil NOBODY should use for dogs and I donā€™t even use it for me is Wintergreen oil. Dangerous oil.... so all this to say to you Readerā€™s out there, do your homework and read!!!!!

One more thing NEVER use ANY EO without any carrier oils for CATS! Cats are more sensitive.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey

I put 5 drops of tea tree oil and 5 drops of oil of cloves in 2 oz witch hazel, and use that on my dog's ears quite commonly. I've never had a problem. You just have to be careful you are using proper dilutions.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Could be that this particular patient had a sensitivity to it. Hard to say. I wish I knew more about it. Thankfully, the little one is going to be Okay.

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
My groomer gives Ty a Tea Tree Oil skin treatment after his bath. Fortunatley he's never shown any problems because if it.
Mattof-of-fact, thats what I credit his great skin, and has never seen a flea in his life.
Could be because, it's only used topically every couple of weeks, and only left on a few minutes. :ponder:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
My groomer gives Ty a Tea Tree Oil skin treatment after his bath. Fortunatley he's never shown any problems because if it.
Mattof-of-fact, thats what I credit his great skin, and has never seen a flea in his life.
Could be because, it's only used topically every couple of weeks, and only left on a few minutes. :ponder:

Doubt very much itā€™s the tea tree. Yes I wouldnā€™t drink it but by now both my dogs would would of had issues. Only thing I see it was mixed with something else that you donā€™t blend with. Idk. Would be curious to know.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I sometimes spray lavender on my pillow/sheets...is that safe around dogs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bazza

Jun 22, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bazza
Yes saw a post going around Facebook very similar to this, I would not have known, its great to have posts like this to make people be aware :D

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes saw a post going around Facebook very similar to this, I would not have known, its great to have posts like this to make people be aware :D

Iā€™ve been doing essential oils for yearsssss....I use it all the time (daily) on Nyala n Duke and the whole house plus myself. Trust me, take some n leave some with stories like that. Iā€™m 99% sure there was another oil you cannot mix with tea tree. And thereā€™s a few of them. And when it comes for pets you need a carrier oil unless you know what youā€™re doing. But yes, great post for the ones arenā€™t sure how to use EO....

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/51130-essential-oils.html