Need help or advice on Bulldog agression

Porter

Dec 10, 2023
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jager
My family and I have 2 dogs. One is an English Bulldog (jager pronounced like the drink) 3 yr old male and a Chocolate Lab (porter) who is 4 yr old male. We got porter at ~12 weeks old and jager at ~20 weeks old. For porter, he's only been with my family, for jager we are his third family, I don't fully know the story behind why the 2 previous families didn't keep jager, he was a surprise, parents didn't tell us they were getting him.

Jager gravitated towards my sister and porter gravitated towards me. For the first 1 - 1.5 year of having both of them, they got along just great, they weren't amazing buddies but they played with each other and got along. Then it was like a light switch, jager would just attack porter out of nowhere with no warning or indicitiative body language that we could pick up on. My biggest concern is that their is no warning of him attacking, no growling, snarling, lunging, showing teeth, hair standing up, staring, nothing, if I was able to pick up on the warning signs I would intervene. I mean it could happen in the kitchen when foods is around, which I can at least understand why but, it also happens when they're just walking by each other in the hallway, chilling in our rooms, I was doing some school work one day listening to music with porter sitting under my desk and didn't hear jager come in and the next thing I know is both are fighting. If jager is in the family room, porter will not come in but porter will go into jagers room (sister's room) quite often to look out the window to watch people walk by and everything is just fine, I don't think it's territorial, at least not solely. Building off that previous statement, jager will quite often stand at the doorway to my room, where porter usually is and just stare at him for a solid 2 - 3 minutes. That could be territorial but personally, I think it's more than just that.

my sister tried introducing jager to her boyfriends dogs a pitbull/lab mix ~ 5 yr old and 2 pitsbull both are ~ 4 yrs old. I've personally met all three of the dogs and they are just all great dogs. Sidenote my sister's BF is more so helping out a friend going through a divorce who "owns" the pitbulls, BF is trying to rehome them and is struggling to do so, a FB group accused them of selling bait dogs, they weren't asking for money to rehome them, thats messed up. I wanted one of them but got shut done by my parents. I truly hate the stigma that breed has gotten because of horrible people. Back to the story, jager ended up fighting with all 3 of her BFs dogs, this is the main reason sister hasn't moved out, she can't take jager to live at BFs. My sister then went to go meet BFs parents, who have 2 dogs, I don't know the breeds but, their both over 10 yrs old for sure, I think one is almost 14, and jager started fights with them too.

I'm just not sure what I can do. No disrespect to English bulldogs when I say this, but it's hard to read their emotions, behaviors or ques because of the breeds characteristics. No disrespect when I say that.

This isn't an everyday thing but routinely happens at least once a week. The family has had 2 dogs in the house before (different from jager and porter) and they've fought but it was only a couple of times a year. To me that is normal, but once a week, I think that's too much. Am I over reacting, or is this something that needs intervening?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I am sorry to hear of this problem with your dog. I can't be of much help,as I have raised many dogs in my lifetime, and adopted a few, but never had this problem. Have you thought that maybe that is why he had been re-homed two other times? This is a very difficult problem, perhaps the hardest problem to solve. Sorry I can't give you an answer, but I wish you the best. This may be a job for a professional type like a Cesar Milan.

Karen100

Apr 14, 2014
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie,Taylor,Gatsby
I am sorry to hear of this problem with your dog. I can't be of much help,as I have raised many dogs in my lifetime, and adopted a few, but never had this problem. Have you thought that maybe that is why he had been re-homed two other times? This is a very difficult problem, perhaps the hardest problem to solve. Sorry I can't give you an answer, but I wish you the best. This may be a job for a professional type like a Cesar Milan.
I have had 5 bullies 3 at a time. The 2 girls got along until Taylor turned about a year old and then one day she attacked Sadie my other girl. It was never the same after that it was like a switch would go off and she would attack Sadie. Even when we walked them on a leash she would be fine and and then her attitude changed and the attack . We had to keep them in separate parts of the house until both passed. Maybe your bulley is a one dog home. Good luck.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Jager is guarding your sister. Jager is the alpha in the home and the ALPHA should be your sister. IMO, she has failed her dog and will likely not be able to assume the alpha role given how long this has been allowed to continue. I know that this sounds very harsh, but without sugar-coating it needs to be said. I hope that I'm wrong but I've seen this happen enough to have an opinion based on experience. This type of behavior, without proper management, will escalate exponentially. Jager will likely end up in a one dog home as he is at the center of every confrontation. Worse case...he'll end up in rescue and perhaps put down.

Last edited:

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
This happened with a previous dog of ours. Attacking the other dogs in the house migrated into attacking all of us eventually. We worked with the breeder to rehome her and she was nearly immediately put down when the rehome didn’t work 😞

It was a light switch. One moment laying there, the next moment trying to kill you. While I understand the theory behind alpha dogs, for ours this wasn’t it. We spent several years trying to correct but it just kept progressing. Eventually it was too dangerous to keep her at home and that’s when we did the rehome. The home the breeder found did not follow the rules set up and that caused her ultimate demise. In hindsight I don’t believe she would have survived anywhere, with how her attitude was progressing.

I believe it was a neurological issue for her.

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I agree with Chip... the behavior has gone on too long to try and correct it. You can try to bring in a professional trainer, but it most likely will end up with Jager going to an only dog home. My guess is he was a singleton (only puppy in litter) and was never socialized which would potentially be the reason he was rehomed at such a young age. Singletons are very difficult to socialize (both human and canine).

Praying you are able to work it out for all to be happy

Last edited:

CornyXo

Feb 19, 2024
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Hey there, it sounds like you're dealing with a tough situation with Jager and Porter. Have you considered consulting a professional dog behaviorist? They might be able to provide some insight and strategies to help.

KillRbee18

Sep 6, 2023
Port Orchard WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny / Gun-guns
My family and I have 2 dogs. One is an English Bulldog (jager pronounced like the drink) 3 yr old male and a Chocolate Lab (porter) who is 4 yr old male. We got porter at ~12 weeks old and jager at ~20 weeks old. For porter, he's only been with my family, for jager we are his third family, I don't fully know the story behind why the 2 previous families didn't keep jager, he was a surprise, parents didn't tell us they were getting him.

Jager gravitated towards my sister and porter gravitated towards me. For the first 1 - 1.5 year of having both of them, they got along just great, they weren't amazing buddies but they played with each other and got along. Then it was like a light switch, jager would just attack porter out of nowhere with no warning or indicitiative body language that we could pick up on. My biggest concern is that their is no warning of him attacking, no growling, snarling, lunging, showing teeth, hair standing up, staring, nothing, if I was able to pick up on the warning signs I would intervene. I mean it could happen in the kitchen when foods is around, which I can at least understand why but, it also happens when they're just walking by each other in the hallway, chilling in our rooms, I was doing some school work one day listening to music with porter sitting under my desk and didn't hear jager come in and the next thing I know is both are fighting. If jager is in the family room, porter will not come in but porter will go into jagers room (sister's room) quite often to look out the window to watch people walk by and everything is just fine, I don't think it's territorial, at least not solely. Building off that previous statement, jager will quite often stand at the doorway to my room, where porter usually is and just stare at him for a solid 2 - 3 minutes. That could be territorial but personally, I think it's more than just that.

my sister tried introducing jager to her boyfriends dogs a pitbull/lab mix ~ 5 yr old and 2 pitsbull both are ~ 4 yrs old. I've personally met all three of the dogs and they are just all great dogs. Sidenote my sister's BF is more so helping out a friend going through a divorce who "owns" the pitbulls, BF is trying to rehome them and is struggling to do so, a FB group accused them of selling bait dogs, they weren't asking for money to rehome them, thats messed up. I wanted one of them but got shut done by my parents. I truly hate the stigma that breed has gotten because of horrible people. Back to the story, jager ended up fighting with all 3 of her BFs dogs, this is the main reason sister hasn't moved out, she can't take jager to live at BFs. My sister then went to go meet BFs parents, who have 2 dogs, I don't know the breeds but, their both over 10 yrs old for sure, I think one is almost 14, and jager started fights with them too.

I'm just not sure what I can do. No disrespect to English bulldogs when I say this, but it's hard to read their emotions, behaviors or ques because of the breeds characteristics. No disrespect when I say that.

This isn't an everyday thing but routinely happens at least once a week. The family has had 2 dogs in the house before (different from jager and porter) and they've fought but it was only a couple of times a year. To me that is normal, but once a week, I think that's too much. Am I over reacting, or is this something that needs intervening?
Porter,
I am with you, Gun-guns can't stand anything with four legs and a tail. We are his third and forever family, so I do not know his past. The wife and I think he was involved in some type of dog fighting ring. He has scares on his head and stomach- I do hope i am wrong with that notion, but when he sees other dogs == this is what he becomes. We are working with him, and the process is going REAL slow, but we are crossing our fingers and a having a lot of patients that he will break through his issues. Although, my family is a dog family, so when my kids bring their fur-babies over, Gunny has to go downstairs (sad eyes). I think he minds a little because he know there is someone in his house, but most of the time he goes to sleep- oh well! Best wishes for you and your fur baby!
Hulk Gunny.jpg

Members online

No members online now.