Hypothyroidism? Anybody have experience with this? Please help!

simrisek1

Sep 24, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Daisy is a 3.5 month old English bulldog. She's suffered from allergies but has always been to the vet to be treated for them. She has had no recent flare ups so I know that this skin condition is not allergy related. About 8 months ago this started, at first I was unsure what it was so I had her on various expensive salmon/fish oils and even changed her food to a better quality one-- nothing improved her skin. We went to the vet 2x. First time we left with no answers which was in May. In July we went back and the vet diagnosed her with Hypothyroidism even though her levels were considered normal. She does not itch her skin and it does not seem to bother her. We were prescribed Thyroid Tabs 0.4mg 1x a day.
The black spots/hair loss have spread to each side now and now on just one side its down her butt.

Is this really hypothyroidism? If you think so, what else can be done for my sweet girl???
Could this be anything else?!

IMG_1317.jpeg

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I’ve never dealt with it but it looks like it might be seasonal alopecia or something like that. I’ll tag some members who will know more.
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thyroid issues can cause season flank alopecia ... melatonin, fish oil or vitamin d can help. Lambeau had it for a while, I tried melatonin.. no change, then fish oil, some change, then I added vitamin d.. and I saw some improvement, but when I changed to raw feeding... it all cleared up without any of the above mentioned it.

Lambeau does not have hypothyroidism, he had seasonal flank alopecia.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Maude had the same thing-it was seasonal flank alopecia she still has black skin,less hair on one side.DSCF5398.JPGYou can see it a little in this picture.
I would bet that your pup has SFA,if her thyroid level was normal. Try more natural things first(my thought) before thyroid meds. I have found that if I have given melatonin
before they get it, they don't get it. Sometimes all the hair will grow back,like my Carlie's did but Maude's came in very thin, and skin stayed black.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
The treatment of choice for seasonal flank alopecia is melatonin. Melatonin is usually dosed at 3-6 mg every 8 -12 hours for 1-2 months, preferably started as soon as alopecia is seen, or 1-2 months before expected outbreak if it happens every year. If started ahead of time it may prevent an outbreak. It works in 50-75% of cases.

Other possible causes can include: Endocrinopathies (hypothyroidism, hyperadrenocorticism, hyperestrogenism) ,Other follicular dysplasias and Telogen defluxion. It does look like plain seasonal alopecia to me.

OP
S

simrisek1

Sep 24, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Even if its been almost a year, do you think it is still considered "seasonal"? Or is SFL for a long period of time? Thank you for your response by the way!

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Even if its been almost a year, do you think it is still considered "seasonal"? Or is SFL for a long period of time? Thank you for your response by the way!

I would say it could last for a long period of time, so just because it didn't go away doesn't mean it's not seasonal flank alopecia.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Sometimes it never goes away.. have to find the right supplement for her

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online