Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
We fed to one of our girls Stella and Chewys Duck. It was well tolerated. I would not hesitate to try other proteins...Lamb, Venison, Fish, etc. We have always avoided Chicken and Beef with rescues and our personal dogs. Of all the Bulldogs we've had allergy tested over the years, Chicken and Beef show up (high allergy) way more than any other protein.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
I ordered the Turkey frozen patties... not the freeze dried. I hope that was the correct ones? Looks like a few other protein options are the duck, rabbit and fish. Do you think once she is fully transitioned to her new food, the next order should be a different protein? Or should I stick with the turkey for ~ 1 month and then rotate?

For the probiotic it was the Four Leaf Rover Gut Guard. Which should get here tomorrow with expedited shipping. Yea!!

Good too know on the separate feedings for Raw and kibble, I will get that set up to do raw in the morning and kibble in the evening. She loves her food either way - so I don't expect any complaints from her :)

I was also able to locate the Nature's Logic kibble last night in stock, so will start that transition as well.

Outside of the slide redness on her lips/muzzle she is already feeling so so much better. Hoping for a smooth transition to the new food here, and back to feeling 100% soon!

Thank you for all your help and advice, and will keep you updated on progress. Fingers crossed this is the right path!

How is she doing on the raw food and the new dry food???

OP
S

seckel119

Jan 31, 2023
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Artemis
How is she doing on the raw food and the new dry food???
Thanks for checking in. She is doing much much better! I've rotated the raw to the lamb, will try the fish one next. Keeping with the probiotic daily as well. We did get her allergy test results back, and surprisingly no sensitivity to chicken or rice! Shows high on the sensitivity for beef - so going to stay away from that, as well as dairy. Its great to have those results back, removes some of the guess work.

Going to keep on this path; and hopefully everything continues to level out.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Thanks for checking in. She is doing much much better! I've rotated the raw to the lamb, will try the fish one next. Keeping with the probiotic daily as well. We did get her allergy test results back, and surprisingly no sensitivity to chicken or rice! Shows high on the sensitivity for beef - so going to stay away from that, as well as dairy. Its great to have those results back, removes some of the guess work.

Going to keep on this path; and hopefully everything continues to level out.
That’s great news!

Fury

Feb 4, 2022
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella and Fury
Hi Everyone. New here, but already finding a wealth of information. Quick intro: We added our sweet little girl to our family back in Sept, she is currently ~7months old, my son named her Artemis after the Greek Goddess :). She is a very energetic and happy little girl.

In the last week we have been really struggling and I need some help/advice. When we picked her up from the breeder, she was on Purina Pro Plan; and did well on it, but I wanted to switch her to something better. After much research we decided to switch her to raw. Able to get frozen raw from a local store, it is a complete blend with beef, salmon, organ, etc. We transitioned her about 4ish weeks ago and everything was going great. Her coat was softer, she pooped way less and most important she really seemed to love it! We went though the first several pounds that I purchased, and went back to the same shop and purchased more of the same type.

On Sunday evening, Jan 22nd. Feed her the newly purchased food, and she ended up with her stomach bloating up (like noticeable bloating) shortly after eating and some diarrhea. I took her in to the urgent care vet because I was concerned of actual bloat with how much she expanded in her tummy. They check her all over, everything was fine and after a couple hours in the waiting room her bloat had significantly reduced, to almost back done to normal. We went home and thought - well - maybe she ate too fast.

The next couple of days she seemed fine. I had some of the previous purchased raw (same type, just purchased on different date). So I fed her that and mixed with the newly purchased stuff. On Thursday, Jan 26th - over night she had explosive diarrhea all over her crate, and on Friday throughout the day had some episodes as well as Friday & Sat. On Sunday ( 29th) I took her back into the urgent care vet as she had also started to have bloody diarrhea. They gave her fluids, metronidazole, and instructions to switch her to a bland diet of chicken and rice.

So that's where this finds us. I started her on Chicken/Rice on Sunday. I had her take the metronidazole on Sun & Mon AM. Her poops have now returned to normal (thankfully!). I have now noticed her bottom and top lips are bright red. So wondering --- does she have a sensitively to chicken (hasn't shown anything in the past) so I have switched her to Hamburger and Rice. Still has red lips, so now I'm thinking she might have problem with rice? OR - was in the metronidazole - hence why I haven't given her any past Monday AM.

Here is where I need some help. I'm at a loss to what to fed her now. She can't stay on the chicken/rice or burger/rice. I don't want to switch her back to the Purina. I am so very concerned to switch her back to the raw that I honestly think made her sick. I want to switch her to high quality kibble (Acana, Nature's Logic, Farmina, etc). But I don't know how to transition her. Normally would do a slow transition, but with all the issues on previous/current food, do I just start feeding her the new kibble? Should I cut the rice out and transition from straight chicken or burger? What are your thoughts on the red lips?

I feel so terrible if it was the raw food (and I honestly don't know what else it could have been). I so wanted to do the right move by switching to raw, but now I'm hesitant to go back to it.

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Here are some pics of our cute baby. Before the red lips - and after.
Both of my bulldogs did not do well on raw food.

Major bloating and bloody stools - and that is after gently introducing raw. It was bad! Made me sad seeing them suffer while their tummies healed.

Tried many brands of kibble but my female was so dang picky.

I have switched now to high protein grain free kibble (Zignature brand) - we rotate proteins every month and they have been doing well.

I do top the dry food with different things to keep it exciting.

Liver dust, scrambled eggs, grilled meat or fish, tuna, etc. Have not experienced bloating or bloody stool ever since. Thank God!

Hope you find what works best for your girl!

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
Both of my bulldogs did not do well on raw food.

Major bloating and bloody stools

This is the same problem a friend of mine had when she tried to switch to raw. It certainly isn’t for everyone

PigDogLucky

Jul 28, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
PigDogLucky
Hi Everyone. New here, but already finding a wealth of information. Quick intro: We added our sweet little girl to our family back in Sept, she is currently ~7months old, my son named her Artemis after the Greek Goddess :). She is a very energetic and happy little girl.

In the last week we have been really struggling and I need some help/advice. When we picked her up from the breeder, she was on Purina Pro Plan; and did well on it, but I wanted to switch her to something better. After much research we decided to switch her to raw. Able to get frozen raw from a local store, it is a complete blend with beef, salmon, organ, etc. We transitioned her about 4ish weeks ago and everything was going great. Her coat was softer, she pooped way less and most important she really seemed to love it! We went though the first several pounds that I purchased, and went back to the same shop and purchased more of the same type.

On Sunday evening, Jan 22nd. Feed her the newly purchased food, and she ended up with her stomach bloating up (like noticeable bloating) shortly after eating and some diarrhea. I took her in to the urgent care vet because I was concerned of actual bloat with how much she expanded in her tummy. They check her all over, everything was fine and after a couple hours in the waiting room her bloat had significantly reduced, to almost back done to normal. We went home and thought - well - maybe she ate too fast.

The next couple of days she seemed fine. I had some of the previous purchased raw (same type, just purchased on different date). So I fed her that and mixed with the newly purchased stuff. On Thursday, Jan 26th - over night she had explosive diarrhea all over her crate, and on Friday throughout the day had some episodes as well as Friday & Sat. On Sunday ( 29th) I took her back into the urgent care vet as she had also started to have bloody diarrhea. They gave her fluids, metronidazole, and instructions to switch her to a bland diet of chicken and rice.

So that's where this finds us. I started her on Chicken/Rice on Sunday. I had her take the metronidazole on Sun & Mon AM. Her poops have now returned to normal (thankfully!). I have now noticed her bottom and top lips are bright red. So wondering --- does she have a sensitively to chicken (hasn't shown anything in the past) so I have switched her to Hamburger and Rice. Still has red lips, so now I'm thinking she might have problem with rice? OR - was in the metronidazole - hence why I haven't given her any past Monday AM.

Here is where I need some help. I'm at a loss to what to fed her now. She can't stay on the chicken/rice or burger/rice. I don't want to switch her back to the Purina. I am so very concerned to switch her back to the raw that I honestly think made her sick. I want to switch her to high quality kibble (Acana, Nature's Logic, Farmina, etc). But I don't know how to transition her. Normally would do a slow transition, but with all the issues on previous/current food, do I just start feeding her the new kibble? Should I cut the rice out and transition from straight chicken or burger? What are your thoughts on the red lips?

I feel so terrible if it was the raw food (and I honestly don't know what else it could have been). I so wanted to do the right move by switching to raw, but now I'm hesitant to go back to it.

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Here are some pics of our cute baby. Before the red lips - and after.
I highly recommend Purina Pro Plan (puppy) for your EB. The reason puppy. Even as an adult is has bigger nutrients in it. I have had my fare share of EB’s frenchies too as well and always given the same and never have any allergies or skin problems. Anytime I hear of any EB having skin probs or allergies or anything. Typical it always boils down to the food. One thing that could also cause allergies. Is carpet. But given my house is mainly carpet. I still have no problems.

Here is a link as well.

Purina Pro Plan High Protein Puppy Food DHA Lamb & Rice Formula - 34 lb. Bag

Attachments

• 9BDAC981-B3F2-4097-B3C0-255F29CA83B2.jpeg
    9BDAC981-B3F2-4097-B3C0-255F29CA83B2.jpeg
    70.9 KB · Views: 21

Members online

No members online now.