SunnyThebully

Oct 17, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sunny
Hello everyone,
I am a first time owner of an English bulldog and as most of you when you bought your first bully you had a lot of questions my question is very simple, yet very important. Currently my dog is almost 4 months old and I am feeding him 3 times a day .5 cups for a total of 1.5 cups total. The brand that I am using is royal canin. My question is, is this a correct amount of food to be feeding him? If not how much do you guys recommend. I know that itā€™s very important that they donā€™t become overweight for health issues. My puppy looks health from my point of view but I noticed that he doesnā€™t not look as stocky and heavy like other bulldogs his age. I will greatly appreciate any suggestions. Thank you in advance.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
The first thing to do is get rid of the Royal Canin. A lot of Vets recommend that and Hills because they get paid to do so. That food is garbage. Look at the ingredients. Most here would recommend Acana and Fromm. I have had a lot of dogs, but never measured. I would say 1/2 cup 3 times a day. If his stool get too loose, then cut back a little.If he looks thin, increase it. If he looks fat, decrease it. Puppies need their food as they are growing and usually active. Pups don''t usually get fat,because they use the nutrition to grow.

:welcome4: to EBN!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Lol.. just answer the same in your other thread.... Get off Royal Canin..

Protein Rotation is the key for future allergies. Donā€™t be scare to use chicken at a young age. Mine were given chicken on their rotation n to this day they have no issues. Rotate after each bag. :)

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
In my opinion, and since having Brisket, Iā€™ve learned that it depends on each dog. My Brisket used to get 1/4 cup three times a day, then I realized it wasnā€™t enough and he wasnā€™t gaining, so I increased to 2/3 cup, and his stools were thin and he was still looking thin. I went to the vet recently and because of his high activity level, he hasnā€™t been gaining. So we increased and is now on 1 cup three times a day and his stool is normal and heā€™s finally starting to gain, but he is not overweight. I agree with others tho. Drop the royal canin. Brisket is on grain-free Fromm, and is now getting Stella and chewyā€™s freeze dried raw as a topper and heā€™s loving it and growing healthy at a steady pace.

OP
SunnyThebully

SunnyThebully

Oct 17, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sunny
Thanks everyone, I will get away from using RC. He is almost done with it so itā€™s perfect to do the transition to another brand. My puppy is very active, my kids play with him a lot lol they definitely keep him busy. We also go for a short walk every day for about 10 minutes, he loves it. I think I will be giving him 2 cups a day and see how that does. His stool is normal, not soft nor too hard so I think he should be fine.

OP
SunnyThebully

SunnyThebully

Oct 17, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sunny
Is there a particular kind I should get from the suggested brands?

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
Is there a particular kind I should get from the suggested brands?

If he is active I think adding food to the 2 cups will be okay. I started with Fromm puppy gold
BDF7B02B-7ABD-419E-A74D-E76E10538BDC.jpeg

And it was a good food, contains all the major proteins to help avoid future allergy issues, but I eventually switched to grain-free because it is less of a filler and more protein so it is better for them. It also helps keep him fuller longer since grains pretty much go straight through them. So now I feed him the heartland puppy gold.
AF8288C6-1046-4DC0-8C7D-5DDBB9BC8478.jpeg
He has not had any issues and he loves it. Of course it is a little pricey, but itā€™s better for him. In addition to that he gets coconut oil, a daily supplement, and fermented goat milk.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
If you can. go with a raw diet. You will never regret it. Like day n night. If itā€™s kibbles, again like most knows I would stick to single protein bags. But thatā€™s me as it has the highest content of protein of any brands out there.

OP
SunnyThebully

SunnyThebully

Oct 17, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sunny
Sounds great. Thank you for the great advice.

OP
SunnyThebully

SunnyThebully

Oct 17, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sunny
If you can. go with a raw diet. You will never regret it. Like day n night. If itā€™s kibbles, again like most knows I would stick to single protein bags. But thatā€™s me as it has the highest content of protein of any brands out there.
When it comes to the raw diet I can definitely give it a shot. Iā€™m willing to try whatā€™s best for my sunny. I want to minimize any issues in general as possible. And if the raw diet is the way to go I will go for it. :)

OP
SunnyThebully

SunnyThebully

Oct 17, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sunny
Hi guys a quick update on sunny. I started today the transition from RC to acana food. Letā€™s see how it goes, i am sure he will love it. Here is a pic of him today.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sunny is purrrrrty.... let us know how acana is going. You can also add as a topper on Acana, raw organs1/4 cup. Wait till the transition is over, give it a couple weeks with Acana n start adding raw organs. Better than none at all.

adadrian

Oct 2, 2020
Brisbane
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Athena
Agreed with first reply if getting fat cut down if getting thin feed more. Itā€™s how I base my feed on all my dogs

Members online

No members online now.