Marty’s natures blend raw?

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Wow that’s interesting… so raw bone is better? Guessing it’s easier for them to chew? What age can you start giving them bones would you say?
As soon as the pup gets teeth. Bones are great to "cut teeth" on (I think that's how you say it - you know, to file down the puppy teeth that's crazy sharp and help teeth pop through the gums).

So, just FYI for the prey-model feeders - puppies need between 15-20% bone ratio on the frankenprey. I like to go by poopology - adjust up and down when the poop shows signs of needing adjustment.

P.S. As crazy as it may sound, puppies and even adult dogs need training to learn to eat raw meaty bone. Usually, the puppies learn it from their mothers. But if the mother is not on raw, you're going to have to teach the puppy to eat raw. I started all my dogs on a chicken leg quarter. I hold on to the drumstick part and let the dog chew to their heart's content on the thigh part. It doesn't take long. They get the hang of it pretty quick.

OP
TxMom2

TxMom2

May 1, 2022
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Louise and Chief
As soon as the pup gets teeth. Bones are great to "cut teeth" on (I think that's how you say it - you know, to file down the puppy teeth that's crazy sharp and help teeth pop through the gums).

So, just FYI for the prey-model feeders - puppies need between 15-20% bone ratio on the frankenprey. I like to go by poopology - adjust up and down when the poop shows signs of needing adjustment.
I can tell you are very knowledgeable about this. What should the poop be like?

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
I can tell you are very knowledgeable about this. What should the poop be like?
Poopology can be a college degree all to itself. Hah hah...
But anyway, you'll know when the poop is not right. As far as bone effects - the most obvious are: too much bone and you'll get chalky, crumbly poop. not enough bone can cause runny poop. etc.

OP
TxMom2

TxMom2

May 1, 2022
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Louise and Chief
Poopology can be a college degree all to itself. Hah hah...
But anyway, you'll know when the poop is not right. As far as bone effects - the most obvious are: too much bone and you'll get chalky, crumbly poop. not enough bone can cause runny poop. etc.
Hahaha it definitely sounds like there’s a science to it. I’ve heard that a dogs poop should be white. My pups’ aren’t white. Not even close. But I feed a kibble recommended by the breeder along with Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, carrots and bananas

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Read the Ratio of raw on the 2 labeled Doggy Moggy…

Gives you an idea…

Attachments

• 18318DED-56E6-4D1E-B49A-5FF9BAAC781E.jpeg
    18318DED-56E6-4D1E-B49A-5FF9BAAC781E.jpeg
    869.1 KB · Views: 73
  • A0585877-F552-4FAD-B783-9B19A246E844.jpeg
    A0585877-F552-4FAD-B783-9B19A246E844.jpeg
    296.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 219D991F-7126-4E3B-AE5E-EBFEB4E276ED.jpeg
    219D991F-7126-4E3B-AE5E-EBFEB4E276ED.jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 4D497B71-5921-435A-84E1-226934685C91.jpeg
    4D497B71-5921-435A-84E1-226934685C91.jpeg
    178.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 33DA268A-963E-4992-AA6D-B61BFE975775.jpeg
    33DA268A-963E-4992-AA6D-B61BFE975775.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 79
  • 534CDD05-0B95-40E5-9F40-2637BFEAC820.jpeg
    534CDD05-0B95-40E5-9F40-2637BFEAC820.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 72

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
Wow that’s interesting… so raw bone is better? Guessing it’s easier for them to chew? What age can you start giving them bones would you say?
Cooked bone is brittle and can cause splinters and really do A LOT of damage (including death).

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Hahaha it definitely sounds like there’s a science to it. I’ve heard that a dogs poop should be white. My pups’ aren’t white. Not even close. But I feed a kibble recommended by the breeder along with Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, carrots and bananas
Dog poop should not be white.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names

White (chalky) is too much bone.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Read the Ratio of raw on the 2 labeled Doggy Moggy…

Gives you an idea…

Looks like the Doggy Moggy (what a cute brand name!) is for an adult dog. If you're going for a puppy formulation, the bone component needs to be a bit higher.

Also, this is a Canadian company? Horse in the US is treated like dogs - they don't enter the food chain, not even for pet food. I read up a while ago that the US exports horse meat for the food supply chain in Mexico and Canada and that a horse enthusiast protest was underway to stop the the practice. Not sure what happened to it.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet

P.S. As crazy as it may sound, puppies and even adult dogs need training to learn to eat raw meaty bone. Usually, the puppies learn it from their mothers. But if the mother is not on raw, you're going to have to teach the puppy to eat raw. I started all my dogs on a chicken leg quarter. I hold on to the drumstick part and let the dog chew to their heart's content on the thigh part. It doesn't take long. They get the hang of it pretty quick.

Yes definitely great advice you gave.

1 thing though, for Puppies on raw diet, it’s 12-15% bone content, but no more than 15% of the diet should be bone(I know this from the raw dog food nutrition course), if you give more than 15% they are getting too much calcium and phosphorus.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Looks like the Doggy Moggy (what a cute brand name!) is for an adult dog. If you're going for a puppy formulation, the bone component needs to be a bit higher.

Also, this is a Canadian company? Horse in the US is treated like dogs - they don't enter the food chain, not even for pet food. I read up a while ago that the US exports horse meat for the food supply chain in Mexico and Canada and that a horse enthusiast protest was underway to stop the the practice. Not sure what happened to it.
Yes it’s on Canada. They sell horses meat for humans. But not in all provinces. I’ve had some n basically taste like beef but lean like bison.

Nyala n Jake has been on Doggy Moggy since day one of their raw diet. I also buy the pork one n the chicken one. They do get extra bones elsewhere. That being said puppies in the wild will eat whatever is available.

My puppy Sadie been on Doggy Moggy from day one. She’s build like a wall. We got her at 11weeks weighing 22lbs. We could even feel her ribs. Put her on raw n mixed Orijen for puppy. Once the bag of Orijen was done she stayed on full raw. She’s 8months old n weighs 85lbs.

1654832353132.jpeg

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Yes it’s on Canada. They sell horses meat for humans. But not in all provinces. I’ve had some n basically taste like beef but lean like bison.

Nyala n Jake has been on Doggy Moggy since day one of their raw diet. I also buy the pork one n the chicken one. They do get extra bones elsewhere. That being said puppies in the wild will eat whatever is available.

My puppy Sadie been on Doggy Moggy from day one. She’s build like a wall. We got her at 11weeks weighing 22lbs. We could even feel her ribs. Put her on raw n mixed Orijen for puppy. Once the bag of Orijen was done she stayed on full raw. She’s 8months old n weighs 85lbs.

View attachment 122881

Cute Photo of all the dogs, I like the colours on the white EB

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Cute Photo of all the dogs, I like the colours on the white EB

That’s Jake. He’s a handful.
Thank you…That’s Jake he’s 5.5yrs old . The brindle is Nyala who’s almost 7. Nyala is a Bantam Bulldogge. Less folds n the nose is a tad longer. A lot less health issues. Fantastic breed.

Members online

No members online now.