HELP! My dog eats his poop šŸ’©

Salgain

Dec 1, 2021
Country
Portugal
Bulldog(s) Names
Sichuan
Hello
This would be my first post in here. I hate to start with disgusting topic but Iā€™m lost in here and I really need help. I have multiple problems as he my first and Iā€™m still learning my way through it so please feel free to give me any advice as you read on my post. Sichuan ( 3 months old) (my bulldog) has been eating his poop lately I only found out when I noticed some l leftovers stains on his potty pad. I take him out to poop three times a day (2 pm - 7pm -2 am) and to pee even more. Heā€™s still having pee accident around the house as I couldnā€™t figure out his pee schedule even though I have a training pad for him to use and he knows how to use it however he only use it if heā€™s inside his house ( itā€™s a big play house where he have his mattress on a side and the training pad on the other side and water dispenser and he eat in it too) but when Iā€™m home I open it and leave him to roam around my living room with me. He pees in the living room when I donā€™t notice even though his house door is open for him and my living room is not that bigšŸ˜“. Lately heā€™s having loose stool and I think itā€™s because heā€™s eating his poop ? He is been on one diet and never had a problem before he eats dry food pro plan purina salmon for sensitive skin 3 times a day total of 3 cups. Going back to our problem when he poop outside he have no interest in eating it and I take it away fast anyway. But he when he poop inside his pad he eats. He poop and eat it when Iā€™m at work (3 am to 12pm) I donā€™t know why he eats it? I read several articles about it and honestly I still donā€™t know why? I leave several toys in his house so he doesnā€™t get bored and I donā€™t want to give him bigger portion since I donā€™t want him to have future health issues due to weight.( hes 11 kilo - 3 months old) also, is he afraid of punishment so he hide the evedince? Because when he have his pee accident I see him running to his house and avoid eye contact like he knows he did something wrong. Iā€™m lost here and I know this is too much but I donā€™t know where to ask
Thanks in advance

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
you are feeding way too much food for a 22 lb dog. Heā€™s likely eating it because his body canā€™t digest that much food and the loose stool he makes still smells like food.
Firstly, cut his food to 3/4 cup twice a day.
Get him on a grain free high quality kibble.
Try that first and see what happens.
Puppy foods from Fromm, Acana, Origen, Zignature all qualify. Thereā€™s many more too!

Last edited:
OP
Salgain

Salgain

Dec 1, 2021
Country
Portugal
Bulldog(s) Names
Sichuan
you are feeding way too much food for a 22 lb dog. Heā€™s likely eating it because his body canā€™t digest that much food and the loose stool he makes still smells like food.
Puppy foods from Fromm, Acana, Origen, Zignature all qualify. Thereā€™s many more too!
Iā€™ll try that. Will get back to you. Thank you

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Chip has you covered

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Iā€™ll try that. Will get back to you. Thank you
Yes, way too much food.

Pro plan Purina is full of grains. Thatā€™s your problem right there. Only ingredient thatā€™s good in that bag, Salmon. Why is he eating for sensitive skin? At that age they have a strong immune system as they got off momā€™s milk. Extremely rare they have any skin or allergy issues.

Canola Meal? Ouch. Simply follow Chipā€™s advice n select one of the kibbles heā€™s mentioned n puppy will be back on track. :)

Salmon, Barley, Ground Rice, Canola Meal, Oat Meal, Fish Meal (Source of Glucosamine), Animal Fat Preserved with Mixed-Tocopherols, Brewers Dried Yeast, Salmon Meal (Source of Glucosamine), Natural Flavor, Sunflower Oil, Chicory Root Inulin, Salt, Fish Oilā€¦

Deanojft96

Jun 20, 2017
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Alfie
I had a female foster which had a litter in january and owner handed over due to other reason and she would also eat her poo i put pineapple chunks in with her food and upto when she was adopted to new owner it stopped worth a try.

Tyson55

Feb 11, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson
Hello
This would be my first post in here. I hate to start with disgusting topic but Iā€™m lost in here and I really need help. I have multiple problems as he my first and Iā€™m still learning my way through it so please feel free to give me any advice as you read on my post. Sichuan ( 3 months old) (my bulldog) has been eating his poop lately I only found out when I noticed some l leftovers stains on his potty pad. I take him out to poop three times a day (2 pm - 7pm -2 am) and to pee even more. Heā€™s still having pee accident around the house as I couldnā€™t figure out his pee schedule even though I have a training pad for him to use and he knows how to use it however he only use it if heā€™s inside his house ( itā€™s a big play house where he have his mattress on a side and the training pad on the other side and water dispenser and he eat in it too) but when Iā€™m home I open it and leave him to roam around my living room with me. He pees in the living room when I donā€™t notice even though his house door is open for him and my living room is not that bigšŸ˜“. Lately heā€™s having loose stool and I think itā€™s because heā€™s eating his poop ? He is been on one diet and never had a problem before he eats dry food pro plan purina salmon for sensitive skin 3 times a day total of 3 cups. Going back to our problem when he poop outside he have no interest in eating it and I take it away fast anyway. But he when he poop inside his pad he eats. He poop and eat it when Iā€™m at work (3 am to 12pm) I donā€™t know why he eats it? I read several articles about it and honestly I still donā€™t know why? I leave several toys in his house so he doesnā€™t get bored and I donā€™t want to give him bigger portion since I donā€™t want him to have future health issues due to weight.( hes 11 kilo - 3 months old) also, is he afraid of punishment so he hide the evedince? Because when he have his pee accident I see him running to his house and avoid eye contact like he knows he did something wrong. Iā€™m lost here and I know this is too much but I donā€™t know where to ask
Thanks in advance
Try make him food like salmon carrots and squash or pumpkin. I think might be food I'm starting to make food for my dog I still do kibbles but only 1 cup but he does better on home made food also do veggies and fruits as treats

Tyson55

Feb 11, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson
STAY AWAY FROM ACANA there is a law suit and made my dog very sick .....try Open farm .

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
STAY AWAY FROM ACANA there is a law suit and made my dog very sick .....try Open farm .
Careful, this lawsuit didnā€™t go anywhere n it wasnt in Canada but USA n that was in 2018. Other issue is Clean Label Project which does testing n known to be very fraudulent n wrong very often. Being In the food industry I follow these labs closely.

FYI: The fact that the lawsuits rely upon data from the Clean Label Project ā€” which awarded a 5-star rating to Alpo dog food, and which Dog Food Advisor, Whole Dog Journal and even Forbes have described as using ā€œcontroversial,ā€ ā€œscare mongeringā€ tactics and just plain ā€œbad scienceā€ ā€” demonstrates that thereā€™s not a whole lot of evidence to back up their claims.

Members online

No members online now.