Hey Bulldog Buddies( I just thought of that) Lol, what are you all feeding or would you recommend feeding an OEB puppy. The breeders sent a bag of Diamond Natural for large breed puppies... But I'm wanting to switch him to raw, I fed my AB a mix of kibble and raw, I was a teen and didn't know much I just thought it was cool to have a dog that ate raw food, but now days it's so difficult to really pin point what your dog is eating I figure if I do raw I can feed him what we eat; naturally raised chicken and turkey, grass fed beef, chicken hearts, etc?
What are you guys currently feeding, is Diamond Natural good... is raw better? Any help is appreciated I tend to rack my brain like crazy over these things
matador,
The reason for feeding raw should be because it is cool, it should be because you committed to the health of your dog.
Yes, raw feeding has its advantages over kibble but also comes with its inconveniences.
Advantages are:
- natural food
- trusted source (if you are reasonably confident of where it is coming from)
- less allergies and more immunity
- dogs on raw generally do not put on weight rapidly
- shiny coat, less doggie odor
- etc, etc
Drawbacks are (mostly for the owners):
- sourcing
- stocking
- preparation (if you decide to mince and feed)
- can be messy during meal time
- how to provide variety and balanced nutrition
Now chicken and turkey can form the staple of a dog's diet. Beef, lamb, rabbit and other game meat can be occasional food.
I will not tell you how to go about it, but will relate what has worked for me. As RiiSi suggests, it will help to buy a book for reference.
My EB (Bella) started on raw when she was 2 months old.
2-4 months - 4 meals a day (2 kibble only, 1 raw meat only, 1 cooked meat only)
4-6 months - 3 meals a day (1 kibble only, 1 raw meat only, 1 cooked meat only)
6-8 months - 2 meals a day (1 raw meat and bone only, 1 cooked meat only)
8+ months - 2 meals a day (raw meat and bone)
In addition I introduced all other kinds of natural foods, from human diet as listed below:
- eggs (raw, boiled and scrambled)
- dairy in limited quantity, diluted when possible (milk, curd/yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese; beware regular cheese can make EBs fart away to glory)
- select veggies in small quantities (carrots, beets, celery, cucumber, zucchini, colored peppers)
- select fruits in small quantities (banana, orange, watermelon, mango, apple, olives, chikoo)
- white bread, plain cookies/biscuits
- cooked white rice
- over boiled pasta (no salt no sauce)
- olive oil, coconut oil, salmon oil, flaxseed oil, turmeric powder, apple cider vinegar
For the last one year, Bella's staple diet has been chicken since this is the only meat I can source reliably.
Beef and lamb occasionally. These rest of the list above, sometimes get added to a meal or given as a side.
Sometimes she gets an entire meal that is just rice/pasta/bread with or without milk/yogurt. This is usually when I am behind on a meat run.
Fruits and veggies she gets just because she is in the kitchen while cooking or I am having a fruit.
Luckily for me and her, she has no known food allergies and is in good health and fitness.
EBs on a raw+natural diet grow up slowly and stay lean if you take care not to over feed them.
There is no set menu, I just dish out what ever comes to mind with chicken as base.
Never had to give her any commercial supplements either.
Feed your dog natural food and exercise it enough and you will have a healthy dog.
Reach out if you have any questions, doubts or worries. We will try to guide you as correctly as possible.
Cheers,
Raghu