Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Hes on Rimadyl, tramadol, and methocarbamol. Waiting to hear back from his person vet if he recommends anything different

Ask about Gabapentin. All of the dogs I know of with IVDD take that one. Do you have access to CBD oil? That might help him as well.

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
So sorry to hear about Crabcake, its terrible when you see your baby looking in pain. Hopefully crate rest will do the trick but as already said you do have to be strict. It seems a few of us on here are going through crate rest stints so we know how hard it is. Our Dudley is just coming up to his second week of crate rest out of 12! after cruciate surgery. We are sat on the floor on quilts with him, everyone is banned from coming around to stop him getting giddy, no sofa, no steps, no running it is hard but it has to be done, stick in there and i am sure it will get a little easier once all his meds kick in.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ask about Gabapentin. All of the dogs I know of with IVDD take that one. Do you have access to CBD oil? That might help him as well.

Hes on Rimadyl, tramadol, and methocarbamol. Waiting to hear back from his person vet if he recommends anything different

If you are able to take him for acupuncture and/or laser therapy that will help. What are the meds he is on?

Be very careful with him as many French Bulldogs and Dachshunds become paralyzed from this condition. Why strict crate rest is so important for healing. Seeing a neurologist would be ideal as they specialize in this condition.

Sending tons of hugs and prayers.... Citty has you coveredā€” crate rest, laser therapy or acupuncture.

Banks had this diagnosis at age 2-3.. laser and gabapetin worked for herā€” she lived a wonderfully active 9 yrs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
THIS NEWS HIT ME REALLY HARD AS I THINK OF YOU GOING
THRU THIS AND SO WORRIED. KNOWING THEY ARE IN PAIN
RIPS OUR HEARTS OUT :(

WILL HAVE DAILY PRAYER FOR Y'ALL, I SEND LOVE & COMFORT,
WITH HOPES CRABCAKE GET'S RELIEF ASAP! XOXOXO

OP
C

crabcake

Jan 26, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Crabcake
Thank you for all the prayers, they are needed and appreciated. He has recently eaten for the first time, he took all of his meds, and drank his water. He is sitting up in his crate, he is supporting himself on his hind legs, but the issue now seems to have changed from his inability to support himself on his hind legs, to finding a way to lay down and get comfortable. It's really difficult to see him in so much discomfort. Still waiting to hear back from my vet, the ER doctor recommended waiting seven days till he regained a little strength for him to visit the vet, but I dropped off his x rays and waiting for his opinion on how to proceed.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Poor little Crabcake - Castor sends his best wishes and we hope for a speedy recovery.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you for all the prayers, they are needed and appreciated. He has recently eaten for the first time, he took all of his meds, and drank his water. He is sitting up in his crate, he is supporting himself on his hind legs, but the issue now seems to have changed from his inability to support himself on his hind legs, to finding a way to lay down and get comfortable. It's really difficult to see him in so much discomfort. Still waiting to hear back from my vet, the ER doctor recommended waiting seven days till he regained a little strength for him to visit the vet, but I dropped off his x rays and waiting for his opinion on how to proceed.

If there is a room you can gate off with no furniture he can jump on... use that as a big dog bed... I did this for one of ours that needed crate rest, it worked well as we could sleep with him and he didnā€™t feel separated

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
May be check for some orthopaedic mattress for crate for him, it could give better support to his spine. So sorry for your baby. So difficult to see them suffering, innocent souls...

OP
C

crabcake

Jan 26, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Crabcake
May be check for some orthopaedic mattress for crate for him, it could give better support to his spine. So sorry for your baby. So difficult to see them suffering, innocent souls...

Thank you, I currently just double lined his crate with more blankets from the bedroom but I will look into this. I think a good sign was when i went to carry him out to go to the bathroom he wanted to walk himself. Had to make sure he didn't but at a bare minimum he certainly has 10x the strength in his legs that he had last night when it was at his worst. I am sure he is not happy about being in the crate, I work from home and we do just about everything together. I moved his crate so he is directly next to me on the couch. Prayers that him being lonely in the crate is the worst of things. He did have some diarrhea when I last took him out, think I made a big mistake and didn't just give him all dry food.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
...think I made a big mistake and didn't just give him all dry food.
do not be to quick to place the blame on yourself. It could have been the meds he's on. His body is not used to the pain control meds and muscle relaxer he's now taking. Be aware that he's on a healthy dose of meds and that those meds are masking a lot of his discomfort. He's likely still injured and has a long way to go to full recovery. Be diligent...and I'm confident he'll respond favorably.

OP
C

crabcake

Jan 26, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Crabcake
Thanks everyone. My vet was explaining today how this condition is typically more present in french bulldogs than english bullies. He said that if monitored correctly and a little luck this will not permanently effect him. He also said that he will try to fool me into thinking he is fine, and he will immediately feel better. Like today he has a lot of energy and has not whined in pain in over 12 hours. In five more days he will be healthy enough to at least go to the vets office for a check up. Not the ideal time for this to all come up but it never is, and it is much easier than when he was miserable

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Thanks everyone. My vet was explaining today how this condition is typically more present in french bulldogs than english bullies. He said that if monitored correctly and a little luck this will not permanently effect him. He also said that he will try to fool me into thinking he is fine, and he will immediately feel better. Like today he has a lot of energy and has not whined in pain in over 12 hours. In five more days he will be healthy enough to at least go to the vets office for a check up. Not the ideal time for this to all come up but it never is, and it is much easier than when he was miserable

It is very common in French bulldogs. I was surprised to read your guy was diagnosed with it.

But yes, it is possible with rest and meds he will heal but there will always be a chance of reoccurring injuries. This is why it is so important to do the strict crate rest and as hard as it is, 8 weeks would be best. And even after that it is best to limit activity such as jumping on/off furniture...it is very bad. There is no cure. I hope you are one the lucky ones and all will be well after this.

I speak from experience!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=16802]crabcake[/MENTION] just like Chip mentioned I doubt the diarrhea is the kibbles. More like the medicine ā€˜s side effects and plus itā€™s mixed with other meds. But you absolutely need to stick to your guns and leave him in the crate for the weeks your vet said. If you donā€™t want that ā€œchance of reoccurrenceā€, keep him in that crate. Weeks will feel long at times even the stink eye but heh, itā€™s for his health!!! Heā€™ll be back on track in no time.

OP
C

crabcake

Jan 26, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Crabcake
[MENTION=16802]crabcake[/MENTION] just like Chip mentioned I doubt the diarrhea is the kibbles. More like the medicine ā€˜s side effects and plus itā€™s mixed with other meds. But you absolutely need to stick to your guns and leave him in the crate for the weeks your vet said. If you donā€™t want that ā€œchance of reoccurrenceā€, keep him in that crate. Weeks will feel long at times even the stink eye but heh, itā€™s for his health!!! Heā€™ll be back on track in no time.

His current go to is the very sad eyes, I am sure that will quickly move to the stink eye. I do think we both have a giggle together when I pick him up from my apartment across the court yard to his favorite bush so he can go to the bathroom, pretty sure he thinks it's ridiculous but he enjoys the ride.

Members online

No members online now.