Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Hi guys,

I know it's been a while. Things have been busy and I can barely spare the time to sit down and enjoy a visit here. I do lurk here and there for a fix ;0) Trying to figure out some healthier alternatives for Bella for food since we keep running into yeasty issues with her. We always had yeasty issues with Tyson and could never really totally eradicate it. The vet did mention that it is a possibility that some of the itchiness could be from a dust mite allergy because of the kibble. I guess I am at my wits end trying to find/do the best for Bella. While I would love to home cook but it's not really in the cards. I have been contemplating going all raw or one of these lightly prepared meals. I figured the best place to turn is to my bully guru's here. Is anyone feeding the Farmer's Dog? I would really appreciate it if one of our very savvy gurus chime in and share their opinions on whether it looks like a good option or if it's just marketing bunk.

Thanks in advance.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My SIL fed this for a couple years.. she loved it but it got too pricey for her liking. I looked into it once as a back up to the raw I but locally, if I remember right, there were only three protein options and one I couldnā€™t use.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My SIL fed this for a couple years.. she loved it but it got too pricey for her liking. I looked into it once as a back up to the raw I but locally, if I remember right, there were only three protein options and one I couldnā€™t use.
They currently have Beef, Pork, Chicken and Turkey. Chicken is definitely out. The Pork I won't bother because it has potato and we know that is def not a good thing for any allergy/yeast prone pupper. It will run me about $220 a month for Bella. My food bill and meds bill is a good bit lower being as Tyson is no longer with us (RIP my Taters). I can make the $$ work as long as it keeps her from being yeasty and itching. I think it's a win win vs having to give her apoquel or benadryl. My only worry is if anything in the food will be bad as far as too much fats. Bella is my last baby, and she will be that way until she is gone since she doesn't tolerate any other animals. So I am ok with spending the $ to keep her healthy and with me as long as possible.

Protein issue aside, what did you think of the way the stuff is prepared and what was offered in the food? Bella can be a hit or miss with raw and I def want to move away from the kibble. When Ty was alive, no matter what protein I tried or high end brand, he still struggled with allergies and yeast. My thinking is that it has to be related to the kibble.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
In my opinion, itā€™s a great option and much better than kibble. That price isnā€™t bad at all for better health and possibly off the meds. I donā€™t see anything jumping out that would say not to try it. @Cbrugs or @helsonwheels any thoughts?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
If you're willing to spend $220 a month, I would say just go raw. You can buy the premade frozen raw which is already balanced, just thaw out a bit and feed. And with raw, you have a lot more protein options.

With that being said, feeding raw or a lightly cooked option won't necessarily take away all allergy issues. My Frenchie Jax has ben raw fed for like 8 - 9 years and still needs a Cytopoint injection every 4 months or so due to his environmental issues. Louie also eats raw but gets a little itchy in the spring/summer months (I think he is allergic to the grass we had put in the backyard a couple years ago which is when the itchiness started). While feeding a good diet can most certainly help, it doesn't magically cure everything.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
If you're willing to spend $220 a month, I would say just go raw. You can buy the premade frozen raw which is already balanced, just thaw out a bit and feed. And with raw, you have a lot more protein options.

With that being said, feeding raw or a lightly cooked option won't necessarily take away all allergy issues. My Frenchie Jax has ben raw fed for like 8 - 9 years and still needs a Cytopoint injection every 4 months or so due to his environmental issues. Louie also eats raw but gets a little itchy in the spring/summer months (I think he is allergic to the grass we had put in the backyard a couple years ago which is when the itchiness started). While feeding a good diet can most certainly help, it doesn't magically cure everything.
A girl can dream that it will solve all the issues ;0) I am going to look at some premade frozen options as well. Need to find something in the NYC area. Any suggestions?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
A girl can dream that it will solve all the issues ;0) I am going to look at some premade frozen options as well. Need to find something in the NYC area. Any suggestions?
I usually rotate through Primal, Stella & Chewy, Northwest Naturals, Steve's and Small Batch. I get them at my local pet store "boutiques."

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I usually rotate through Primal, Stella & Chewy, Northwest Naturals, Steve's and Small Batch. I get them at my local pet store "boutiques."
How much food are you buying a month? Trying to figure how much I would need for my potato and if the cost would be more/less than the FD food. You sure have a lot of juggling going on there. I found this place that delivers raw out in NYC. I did a quick glance at their thing and it was like $600 a month. I hope there is some t-bone in that food. I think that is a bit crazy.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
How much food are you buying a month? Trying to figure how much I would need for my potato and if the cost would be more/less than the FD food. You sure have a lot of juggling going on there. I found this place that delivers raw out in NYC. I did a quick glance at their thing and it was like $600 a month. I hope there is some t-bone in that food. I think that is a bit crazy.
Since youā€™re in NYā€¦. Here is the food Iā€™ve used for many yearsā€¦ out of the Poconos area.
healthierpets.net

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Since youā€™re in NYā€¦. Here is the food Iā€™ve used for many yearsā€¦ out of the Poconos area.
healthierpets.net
I ordered from them in the past. They had a little satellite place near me in Long Island City. I think that place closed. I went to their main site an hour ago and the site is inactive.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Yeasty and itching boils down to food. If they get meds like apoquel, benadryl or cytopoint, at the end of the day itā€™s all chemicals injected in the pets n it kills their immune systems. Definitely up to the owner as itā€™s their pet n not mine. I donā€™t use any shots whatsoever on my 3. None had skin issues but once 1 did as a pup. Cleaned that up n put them all on raw. Knock on wood, to this day, these dogs have very healthy skin n especially a strong immune system. Of course they are not immune to the world but what Iā€™m doing works. Not going to change anything.

If you can afford 220$ a month go all raw. Watch all treats as most are the culprits. Have you tried going to butchers n ask if they do raw dog food? Have you look up how to do your own raw? When buying for you, you add extra for your dog. Just a thought.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
$600 a month is crazy! I buy and and prep for 2 weeks worth at a time and usually go between 2 different stores (not at the same time, just whichever one I am near when I need food). 2 of my dogs (1 is a Frenchie) are raw fed so it's hard to say exactly but Louie gets about 8.5 - 9 ounces per meal (he's about 60 pounds) so I usually buy about 15 pounds at a time for him which will cover 2 weeks. I just bought some a few days ago and I spent about $120. So times that by twice a month and it's less than $250 a month.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Yeasty and itching boils down to food.

I disagree with this. Can food contribute to yeast and itching? Absolutely. But it is not the only contributing factor. As you know, both my boys are fed raw and have been for years. Jax still gets itchy and Louie gets itchy in the spring/summer...all from environmental stuff. Louie used to have the worst tear stains and yeasty paws even while eating raw. I got them to go away a couple years ago which I believe was due to a skin and coat supplement I added in.

While a healthy gut and a quality food contributes to a healthy dog, a raw food diet won't necessarily cure everything. Just my two cents.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
$600 a month?šŸ˜³ Seriously? I would be buying meat n make their meals at that price. Up here our dog food n even human food is expensive. Anything in Canada is expensive but I did find a farmer that does dog food. Maybe worth looking whatā€™s in your surroundings. Btw, my rule of thumb is 1 pound per 50lb dogā€™s weight. Nyala and Jake both gets 3/4lb a day cause they get protein snacks 3x a day n an apple divided into 3. I also have a German Shepherd. She basically gets the two 1/4ā€™s raw from my other 2 bully.

PiggySmallz

Oct 4, 2023
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Sumo
I thought I would share this - a recipe sheet for raw sent to me by our dog trainer (also a ā€œcertified dog nutritionistā€).
I was in the same boat wanting to go raw, but found the cost pretty crazy.
We now home cook and itā€™s really not that badā€¦ my boy is a pup so feeding a lot at the moment (5%body weight) and one 10lb batch only lasts 5 days, but once theyā€™re adults you half that. Iā€™m spending no more than $25/10lb, so ~$150/month (which will go down to $75) along with an additional ~$25 for supplements. I was up until this week lightly cooking and it was a bit of a pain, now I make 2x10lb batches at a time totally raw and it takes about 30 minutes to blend everything and weigh out into ziplocks. We are feeding ground turkey which is a cheap meat (I can get 6lbs for $20), eventually I want to rotate proteins but with him eating 2lbs of food a day right now itā€™s too cost prohibitiveā€¦
Iā€™d be interested to hear other affordable protein sources. I live in Southern California - if anyone can recommend local butchers Iā€™d also be grateful. Iā€™ve been vegetarian for over 25 years so donā€™t have a great knowledge on meat!

Attachments

• Raw_food_guide.pdf
    118.1 KB · Views: 22

Members online

No members online now.