Recently my dog was attacked (UPDATE)

Romiyoyo

May 5, 2022
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Romeo
[WARNING]
PLEASE DON'T READ I'M ABOUT TO POST SENSITIVE MATERIAL OF DOG THAT HAS BEEN ATTACKED

This is a long post I'm sorry for my rambling i'm just so emotional over what happened just need somewhere where I could vent.

Hi everyone, recently my Romeo was attacked by a dog ( I have strong suspicion it was the newly moved in neighbors dog). When I got home at around eight, I saw Romeo walking towards the gate covered in blood, like he usually does when I come home. I immediately took him to the emergency vet clinic with my dad. The veterinarian told us that Romeo 30% bites wounds he has puncture wounds around his eye lost some teeth and got an infection . We brought Romeo back home, and for the past few days, I noticed that the neighbor's dog hasn't been home since the incident. Usually, I take Romeo for a walk in the front yard without his cone of shame (I usually call it by that name) so he can have a breather, but he absolutely hates wearing it and barely moves when he has it on. Just recently, the neighbor's dog came back home, and every day it keeps getting out and running straight towards my fence. The neighbor's kids are struggling to grab their dog since it doesn't have a collar, so their only option is to carry the dog back home.

So, I went to animal control to see if they could help with the dog situation. I explained everything that happened to the person there, but they said they can only take action if I have video or picture evidence of the dog attacking my dog. They mentioned that I could use self-defense if the dog ever comes towards me or Romeo. I could take the dog owner to court if I have the evidence of the dog attacking Romeo to cover the medical bills. I told them I have witnesses who heard the whole thing - they live across the street and heard the dog fight and saw the kids trying to pull their dog back home away from my fence. However, the animal control person said that the witness needs to physically see my dog being attacked for them to write a report. They only mentioned that I could use self-defense if the dog's nose is inside my fence. It's really tough now because I can't take Romeo out in the front anymore. I'm constantly on edge, looking over my shoulder, just waiting for that dog to come running towards us. Romeo can barely move fast enough for me to get him inside the car or through the front door.

If anyone has any tips for Romeo, I'm all ears. I've been trying my best to clean his wounds, but he really doesn't like it when I try to pat clean his stitches. I just emailed the clinic to see if there's anything more I can do or if his face looks normal. Romeo's stitches won't be removed until the 21st, and everything happened on February 6th.

UPDATE

Hey everyone, I just wanted to give you all an update and say thank you for your comments and advice. I really appreciate it. Things have been overwhelming with everything going on, but hopefully, they'll start calming down and Romeo will start getting better.

Now, here's the update...

I'm sorry for the rambling that is about to happen.

On Friday I had to take Romeo back to the Emergency Vet Clinic because he ended up ripping his stitches the day before. It was really bad, with the stitches flapping and Romeo continuously licking it, making it worse. I was devastated when I saw it ripped after coming back from work.

The day before on Thursday, I asked my family member Sarah if she could give Romeo water because he wasn't drinking enough. When I got back home, I found Romeo roaming around my room without his cone on. I got into it with Sarah because I had told her multiple times before that he's not supposed to have his cone off when he's not on his leash. Sarah's reply was, "Well, how is he supposed to eat or drink then?" Romeo ended up pulling his stitches, so now he has to go back to the clinic and start the whole process over again. I thought Sarah would remember all my rants about Romeo hating his cone and I would try to make sure he keeps it on, especially when I asked her to hold his leash while I cleaned his cones. But I guess that went right over her head.

Sorry for rambling, I'm still annoyed.

After getting a clearer look at Romeo's face, I felt like everything just came crashing down. I was angry at Sarah for not being aware enough to know better (although I guess it's partly my fault for not specifically telling her to put the cone back on after he's done drinking water). And I'm even more furious at those neighbors' dog for what the dog did to Romeo. When I took Romeo to the vet on Friday, they expected to just put him under anesthesia to stitch him back up. But as they got closer, they realized that the infection had killed a portion of his face and now they have to cut off the dead skin.

When I saw Romeo's face, I felt a mix of anger and sadness for him. It's heart-wrenching to see him endure multiple surgeries, take medications, and struggle to sleep at night. The clinic advised that we can remove the cone in 5 to 9 days, but I would rather wait the full 9 days and see the veterinarian have him confirm that everything is looking fine before taking it off.

I'M ABOUT TO SHARE GRAPHIC PICTURES AFTERMATH OF WHAT HAPPENED TO ROMEO PLEASE DON'T LOOK IF YOU ARE SENSITIVE

🤍 THANK YOU READING MY POST I REALLY APPRECIATE 🤍

Attachments

• 20240206_233531(0).jpg
    20240206_233531(0).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
  • Snapchat-906366743.jpg
    Snapchat-906366743.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Snapchat-1912232169.jpg
    Snapchat-1912232169.jpg
    862.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Snapchat-27851311.jpg
    Snapchat-27851311.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Snapchat-742814987.jpg
    Snapchat-742814987.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 11
  • Snapchat-1773468028.jpg
    Snapchat-1773468028.jpg
    661.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
OP
Romiyoyo

Romiyoyo

May 5, 2022
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Romeo
Even before what happened to Romeo the neighbors dog would always get out run straight towards my fence I would hear all the dogs going nuts outside I walk outside its the same dog and the neighbors across the street would say the same thing he would hear his dog going nuts walk outside the neighbors kids would be at his fence trying to take their dog back home

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
Poor boy :( what a shame. What instructions did the vet give for keeping him clean?

Animal control is correct. If you want to take legal action you need to have solid evidence. Has your family tried communicating with the neighbors?

OP
Romiyoyo

Romiyoyo

May 5, 2022
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Romeo
Poor boy
Poor boy :( what a shame. What instructions did the vet give for keeping him clean?

Animal control is correct. If you want to take legal action you need to have solid evidence. Has your family tried communicating with the neighbo
:( what a shame. What instructions did the vet give for keeping him clean?

Animal control is correct. If you want to take legal action you need to have solid evidence. Has your family tried communicating with the

Animal control is correct. If you want to take legal action you need to have solid evidence. Has your family tried communicating with the neighbors?
So, I was told to clean the wounds with mild soap or diluted peroxide. As for the neighbor situation, I asked around and people said it's not safe to talk to them because they've had trouble before (not related to the dog). The cops have been coming to their house. Animal control and others suggested using self-defense since the neighbor's dog breed could really hurt Romeo.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I am so sorry this happened to your poor boy. That is just awful.
I think the only way to keep your boy safe is never, ever, let him out unattended. I would also carry a pepper spray to aim at that dog if he got into your yard. Make sure your aim is good though, you don't want to get your boy.
Also, invest in a security camera. They really aren't that expensive and then it would not be just your word against theirs. For example
Good luck.

OP
Romiyoyo

Romiyoyo

May 5, 2022
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Romeo
I am so sorry this happened to your poor boy. That is just awful.
I think the only way to keep your boy safe is never, ever, let him out unattended. I would also carry a pepper spray to aim at that dog if he got into your yard. Make sure your aim is good though, you don't want to get your boy.
Also, invest in a security camera. They really aren't that expensive and then it would not be just your word against theirs. For example
Good luck.
Thank you for your advice I've been thinking of setting up security camera on my window shelf aim it towards the gate. I'll look into what you've sent me 🤍 it'll be better to have the camera just in case if I have to deployed the pepper spray I'll have proof.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Geez poor thing. Should look into them Ring door bells.

Only one prod that works for these wounds is NuStock. He would need to wear a cone but the ones on his mouth he’ll lick it off.

A few yrs ago Jake decided to attacked the lawnmower. We got him he was 2.5yrs old n had no clue he had an issue with noise n wheels. We learned the hard way. He grabbed the wheel, we had enough time to pull the lawnmower away from him but he got one end on one of his top paw. It completely ripped open the top skin completely off n hanging. Nothing broken thank god. Cleaned it n ended up putting nustock n vet tape. Took weeks but completely healed. Vet totally approved nustock. He uses on his horses for gashes.

OP
Romiyoyo

Romiyoyo

May 5, 2022
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Romeo

Only one prod that works for these wounds is NuStock. He would need to wear a cone but the ones on his mouth he’ll lick it off.

A few yrs ago Jake decided to attacked the lawnmower. We got him he was 2.5yrs old n had no clue he had an issue with noise n wheels. We learned the hard way. He grabbed the wheel, we had enough time to pull the lawnmower away from him but he got one end on one of his top paw. It completely ripped open the top skin completely off n hanging. Nothing broken thank god. Cleaned it n ended up putting nustock n vet tape. Took weeks but completely healed. Vet totally approved nustock. He uses on his horses for gashes.

Thanks for the suggestion I really appreciate! I'll definitely look into buying NuStock. I tried putting Neosporin on Romeo, but he absolutely hates cream (probably because of the cream I've been using on his face folds). When I attempted to apply a tiny bit of cream to his stitches, he immediately flinched and tried to run away. I think it's because his stitches are still hurting and still have swelling. I'll wait till Thursday his swelling would probably go down putting cream wouldn't cause him too much discomfort.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So sorry this all happened... hugs to you and your boy. as others have said, never leave your pup outside unattended, there are just too many risks in the world. I'd do as Pam suggested too, get pepper spray keep it with you when outside with or without your pup as the dog (regardless of breed... his issues are human caused) seems to not have any boundaries or leadership. get a cheap camera that you can have any future evidence should the neighbor dog get into your yard again.

To clean or put cream on the stiches... have treats in one hand and try to do it while he is sleeping Slowly pet him and give a treat, then gently wipe the cream on.

Last edited:

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014

Sounds like Bob. He has a thing for noises (but not T'storms!) and wheels.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sounds like Bob. He has a thing for noises (but not T'storms!) and wheels.
That happened once never again. He even goes after the tractor’s wheels that‘s just parked their till I ge back on it. So I make a point Jake n Nyala are in the house or on their little deck every time I’m working outside. If you pick up a chair or ladder he even grabs that. As you know rescue or getting an older dog, you just don’t know its background or something.

Why @Romiyoyo you definitely need to keep your dog inside when you leave the house. I have a German Shepherd who’s 2, she can play rough with both bullies. When I leave for even a few hours, I put both bullies in the big kennel. It’s for their protection.

OP
Romiyoyo

Romiyoyo

May 5, 2022
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Romeo
That happened once never again. He even goes after the tractor’s wheels that‘s just parked their till I ge back on it. So I make a point Jake n Nyala are in the house or on their little deck every time I’m working outside. If you pick up a chair or ladder he even grabs that. As you know rescue or getting an older dog, you just don’t know its background or something.

Why @Romiyoyo you definitely need to keep your dog inside when you leave the house. I have a German Shepherd who’s 2, she can play rough with both bullies. When I leave for even a few hours, I put both bullies in the big kennel. It’s for their protection.
My mother fed all the dogs that Tuesday she put them outside to use the bathroom. She ended up falling asleep didnt hear anything when whole situation happened. There's this narrow opening in the gate, and it's chained up to keep the dogs from pushing it open (it has hook but the chain is extra precaution). The neighbor's pitbull, (lives two houses down) managed to escape would always go to my front yard gate. The pitbull got his mouth through opening got Romeo's face. I thought Romeo would be safe in backyard but the neighbor's dog keeps getting out. The animal control said if the dog puts his snout through the fence opening again, I have the legal right to protect my dogs since it's on my property. I'll planning on buying soon a security camera that will face the gate in case anything happens I'll have solid proof.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
My mother fed all the dogs that Tuesday she put them outside to use the bathroom. She ended up falling asleep didnt hear anything when whole situation happened. There's this narrow opening in the gate, and it's chained up to keep the dogs from pushing it open (it has hook but the chain is extra precaution). The neighbor's pitbull, (lives two houses down) managed to escape would always go to my front yard gate. The pitbull got his mouth through opening got Romeo's face. I thought Romeo would be safe in backyard but the neighbor's dog keeps getting out. The animal control said if the dog puts his snout through the fence opening again, I have the legal right to protect my dogs since it's on my property. I'll planning on buying soon a security camera that will face the gate in case anything happens I'll have solid proof.
You’re totally correct it’s your property. Protect it. Cameras is good.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
If any aggressive dog were to attack one of my Bulldogs on a lead or on my property, I would do anything to stop it.
For the time being, I suggest that all family members keep eyes open and report to local Animal Control every time you see the neighbors dog at large. Have AC phone # on speed dial. Take videos. A few fines for allowing a dog at large and the owners will change their behavior. And if the dog becomes aggressive with the AC personnel, they may request that the court allow them to put it down. Consider arming yourself with CC.

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Thank you for your advice I've been thinking of setting up security camera on my window shelf aim it towards the gate. I'll look into what you've sent me 🤍 it'll be better to have the camera just in case if I have to deployed the pepper spray I'll have proof.
I have Blink cameras in my front and back yards. They were comparatively inexpensive.

Members online

No members online now.