Suddenly Scared?!

MaddieRM

Sep 8, 2023
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatloaf
Hi, new here! I adopted a 3 year old rescue 9 months ago and so far she has been Perfect. She is a bit timid and scared of loud noises but other than that she is a dream. However, the last week or two have been he trying to get her to go for a walk outside our apartment. The apartment complex I live in has a big park with paths right outside the front door. We used to walk there every day. But suddenly she is TERRIFIED- like won't walk out the front door terrified. Pulling on the leash full force terrified. Nothing has changed. I can't even walk her somewhere else because she won't go outside. Tonight I felt terrible I basically had to drag her on a walk so she would pee.
But when I take her to work every day she runs around in the back field. What the heck happened and how do I get her to overcome this fear?! Do I have to move?!

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Hi, new here! I adopted a 3 year old rescue 9 months ago and so far she has been Perfect. She is a bit timid and scared of loud noises but other than that she is a dream. However, the last week or two have been he trying to get her to go for a walk outside our apartment. The apartment complex I live in has a big park with paths right outside the front door. We used to walk there every day. But suddenly she is TERRIFIED- like won't walk out the front door terrified. Pulling on the leash full force terrified. Nothing has changed. I can't even walk her somewhere else because she won't go outside. Tonight I felt terrible I basically had to drag her on a walk so she would pee.
But when I take her to work every day she runs around in the back field. What the heck happened and how do I get her to overcome this fear?! Do I have to move?!
Welcome!

Sorry to hear she has suddenly been terrified.

It sounds like maybe she is nervous or terrified someone or something that she smelled or knew was around possibly and maybe you didnā€™t see it(person or something she got terrified of for example)? Or another animal or something.

I also know some health issues can cause behaviour changes like this, if it doesnā€™t improve maybe get her checked by vet.

In the meantime, can you bring her favourite treats and keep telling her good girl and keep encouraging her to walk more and continue outside walk?
The more good experiences she has the better, but since itā€™s hard to get her outside, try to encourage her with treats and hopefully she will start to be less scared!

Good luck!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@oscarmayer -- any insight? @MaddieRM .. Chip and his wife run a bulldog rescue and may have some insight to help you deal with your girls fear.

Members online

No members online now.