Lora the white english bulldog feels great being here!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thank you all for the warm welcome! I understand that a bulldog needs special care and it seems strange or even irresponsible for someone to have as a first dog experience a bulldog but i am very dedicated to take the best of care of my girl. I am happy i found this forum as i can read and learn a lot, i already had!

Unfortunately i can't find the brands that you proposed me here in my city, i'll check if i can order online, if possible. I was reassured that royal canin is good food and was feeding Lora that for the last 2 months, but now i am worried in case its not right for her.

She is a bit lazy and unresponsive when we prepare to go out for a walk, but once out and especially when in the nature far from the city, she enjoys to play a lot!

I donā€™t know what quality grain free brands you have in Greece but for sure I would remove her from RC and put her on frozen raw. Why risk. I only know of Naturea thatā€™s grain free on your side of the world. Have you ever seen it? Maybe see if they can ship it to you. Online Shops | Naturea. Another brand is Eden pet food...

[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]. Hereā€™s the brand for that member wanted to know grain free in UK.
https://www.canagan.co.uk/dog-food.html

OP
Vulky

Vulky

Feb 16, 2018
Country
Hellas (Greece)
Bulldog(s) Names
Lora
Do you have access to Amazon? They have something called Amazon Global which I have to admit I know nothing about! Check into it with regards free shipping to you in Greece. I did do a search of dog food (in the search bar I put 'Amazon global free shipping dog food') and it did bring up quite a few brands, most of which are awful. Two that stood out were Canidae Grain Free Pure (Dry) and I and Love and You Naked Essentials (Dry). On Dogfoodadvisor.com which is a very good site to check dog foods, the Canidae was 4.5 stars and the second food was 5 stars. If you want to continue to feed Kibble, always check with Dogfoodadvisor.com or there is a British site which lists UK foods if they are available to you (All About Dog Food.co.uk). A lot of breeders over here feed Royal Canin and why I do not know, as others have said, it is not a good food! Good luck and keep asking questions!

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately amazon global doesn't apply for Greece.
My breeder also advised Royal Canin and she promoted it to me as the best food for bulldogs, strange...I bought two 20kilos packages of royal canin, but i'll try to get the unopened one back.

I donā€™t know what quality grain free brands you have in Greece but for sure I would remove her from RC and put her on frozen raw. Why risk. I only know of Naturea thatā€™s grain free on your side of the world. Have you ever seen it? Maybe see if they can ship it to you. Online Shops | Naturea. Another brand is Eden pet food...

[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]. Hereā€™s the brand for that member wanted to know grain free in UK.
https://www.canagan.co.uk/dog-food.html

After lots of searching i found a way to have Acana puppy delivered to me. I can get Acana puppy large breed 17kgs and Acana puppy and junior 11,4kg. So i'll defenitely order one of those, and get Lora out of the Royal Canin stuff.

I read some articles here and there about raw feeding and "barf" and it seems promising. There are even companies that are supposed to deliver nice quality barf grinded food to my door but i dont know. As this is my first dog i am worried not to do something to the extreme and hurt her. I think high quality kibble is the safe way for the moment.

The last two days her eyes have been very red and green crust dried around her lids and some green mucus running in her folds. I hope tomorrow she's better or ill take her to the vet.

Last edited:

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Your doing great :) Hope the eyes clear up by themselves but yes, you want to take care of stuff with a pup quicker than when their grown up it seems. Things can move fast..

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Curious, Your Acana, is it from Canada or USA?

You can start with Acana as itā€™s a higher end kibble. When I got Duke 9 months ago he was on acana n raw. 5 months ago both pups went half half of acana n raw. Then 3/4 raw. Duke is now on 100% raw. You can do the same with baby steps. And you wonā€™t hurt here whatsoever. Try to find frozen tripe the green smelly one frozen. Not bleached. Just start giving her some as a lunch snack. Sheā€™ll get use to frozen raw slowly. I know in Greece youā€™ll get the lamb tripe. Even better!!

OP
Vulky

Vulky

Feb 16, 2018
Country
Hellas (Greece)
Bulldog(s) Names
Lora
Your doing great :) Hope the eyes clear up by themselves but yes, you want to take care of stuff with a pup quicker than when their grown up it seems. Things can move fast..

Today morning her eyes are still red but without the green crust that was abundant the previous days, so maybe it's a sign they are doing better thankfully.

Curious, Your Acana, is it from Canada or USA?

You can start with Acana as itā€™s a higher end kibble. When I got Duke 9 months ago he was on acana n raw. 5 months ago both pups went half half of acana n raw. Then 3/4 raw. Duke is now on 100% raw. You can do the same with baby steps. And you wonā€™t hurt here whatsoever. Try to find frozen tripe the green smelly one frozen. Not bleached. Just start giving her some as a lunch snack. Sheā€™ll get use to frozen raw slowly. I know in Greece youā€™ll get the lamb tripe. Even better!!

acana.png

According to the description on the site it is from Canada. Is it a quality difference between that one and USA?
Were you giving the Acana puppy and junior or the Acana large breed?

Your idea with the slower kibble-to-raw transition sounds better than go raw now. I just don't feel ready now. It will give me some months to be more knowledgeable about raw and prepare myself better to provide the best for Lora.
Although i feel and understand its better for our bullies to go raw ,somehow it gets me nervous putting Lora on raw right now without being a bit more experienced. But this slower transition sounds more possible to do. I'll keep reading articles and posts here and maybe i'll go for it.

You are absolutely right! In Greece we love lamb, and actually in one month it's Easter and we have the tradition that every family prepares whole lamb in the spit (if that's the right english word), so Lora can have for sure some parts of it!:D

0029.jpg

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Today morning her eyes are still red but without the green crust that was abundant the previous days, so maybe it's a sign they are doing better thankfully.

View attachment 111055

According to the description on the site it is from Canada. Is it a quality difference between that one and USA?
Were you giving the Acana puppy and junior or the Acana large breed?

Your idea with the slower kibble-to-raw transition sounds better than go raw now. I just don't feel ready now. It will give me some months to be more knowledgeable about raw and prepare myself better to provide the best for Lora.
Although i feel and understand its better for our bullies to go raw ,somehow it gets me nervous putting Lora on raw right now without being a bit more experienced. But this slower transition sounds more possible to do. I'll keep reading articles and posts here and maybe i'll go for it.

You are absolutely right! In Greece we love lamb, and actually in one month it's Easter and we have the tradition that every family prepares whole lamb in the spit (if that's the right english word), so Lora can have for sure some parts of it!:D

View attachment 111056

My whole family is from Italy. 2 of them are completely south in Italy...as we say, da boot! Lol. I was born in Canada. I love lamb too but donā€™t eat much meat anymore. If itā€™s lamb, I will eat. Miss my Quebec lamb. Anyhoooo...whenever you cut the lamb, before you cook it, keep some meat n freeze it for Lora. Cut it in little cubes n give her some mix with kibbles. Acana is a Canadian company. Actually where I am in Alberta. They open a another one in Kentucky USA. Make a long story short, US wanted to add some of their own meats etc in the kibbles and the quality changed. Old saying...Donā€™t touch whatā€™s not broken. Thatā€™s another story. Great youā€™re getting the one from Canada.

Btw, every year my friend invites me for lamb on a spit. I never say no lol. Her husband is from Croatia. Love their food. Love any Mediterranean food. Best healthy food on the planet.

OP
Vulky

Vulky

Feb 16, 2018
Country
Hellas (Greece)
Bulldog(s) Names
Lora
South Italy and Greece apart from the look-a-like in nature,sea and people, we have also the same customs and traditions, plus the very, very important obsession/love for family...and food! I think more or less it's the same in the south European countries in Mediterranean sea.

The freezing of the meat before feeding Lora, you suggest it to get some bacteria dead i guess? Because otherwise i was gonna give it to her fresh as cut from the animal that day. But i'll definitely follow your advice.

Thank you for the info about Acana and the different qualities. I will be extra careful to check that for sure my Acana is from Canada when i receive it and not from USA. I hope in the next ten days it will be delivered to me.

Here are how Lora's eyes look now (before cleaning so the green thing can be seen): https://mega.nz/#F!5pJ30aaQ!GStJefwCTN92AFeIb8VfdA

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
South Italy and Greece apart from the look-a-like in nature,sea and people, we have also the same customs and traditions, plus the very, very important obsession/love for family...and food! I think more or less it's the same in the south European countries in Mediterranean sea.

The freezing of the meat before feeding Lora, you suggest it to get some bacteria dead i guess? Because otherwise i was gonna give it to her fresh as cut from the animal that day. But i'll definitely follow your advice.

Thank you for the info about Acana and the different qualities. I will be extra careful to check that for sure my Acana is from Canada when i receive it and not from USA. I hope in the next ten days it will be delivered to me.

Here are how Lora's eyes look now (before cleaning so the green thing can be seen): https://mega.nz/#F!5pJ30aaQ!GStJefwCTN92AFeIb8VfdA

Little infection. She has a cold or something like coughing or clearing throat?

If meat is fresh you still can give it but I prefer frozen as it assures me if anything is lurking is dead. Sometimes even frozen is not 100% but better than thawed. But thatā€™s me.

Nothing is wrong buying from US Acana just not same quality.

OP
Vulky

Vulky

Feb 16, 2018
Country
Hellas (Greece)
Bulldog(s) Names
Lora
Little infection. She has a cold or something like coughing or clearing throat?

If meat is fresh you still can give it but I prefer frozen as it assures me if anything is lurking is dead. Sometimes even frozen is not 100% but better than thawed. But thatā€™s me.

Nothing is wrong buying from US Acana just not same quality.

No, no coughing or throat clearing or anything else. Just very red both eyes, green discharge and she is sleeping all day today. About the last i can't judge as she is like this when i don't take her out , like today with the rain. She is also not scratching or anything.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
No, no coughing or throat clearing or anything else. Just very red both eyes, green discharge and she is sleeping all day today. About the last i can't judge as she is like this when i don't take her out , like today with the rain. She is also not scratching or anything.

Green discharge from eyes?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Took her to the vet, prescribed tobramycin eye drops for 6 days.

good.... green discharge is usually a sign of infection which is why I was asking for clarification

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

If itā€™s green no matter what is some sort of infection or allergy. I would say more infection. I would see a vet but yours seem to want her on grain food. Do you have any other good vets in your area?

If you have a diffuser, add

8 drops of Eucalyptus
5 drops of Peppermint
5 drops of Lavender
3 tea tree oil

Leave it on where Lora hangs around the most in the house n at night put it over her kennel or where she sleeps.

OP
Vulky

Vulky

Feb 16, 2018
Country
Hellas (Greece)
Bulldog(s) Names
Lora
If itā€™s green no matter what is some sort of infection or allergy. I would say more infection. I would see a vet but yours seem to want her on grain food. Do you have any other good vets in your area?

If you have a diffuser, add

8 drops of Eucalyptus
5 drops of Peppermint
5 drops of Lavender
3 tea tree oil

Leave it on where Lora hangs around the most in the house n at night put it over her kennel or where she sleeps.

Unfortunately it's a bit tough finding a good vet in my small city.
I took her to my regular one yesterday and prescribed her with tobramycin drops for 6 days for conjuctivitis. She is six months now (growing fast!), and i am waiting after her first period that i will want to castrate her and finding a good vet to do that will be a big challenge. I am already searching the possibilities to travel 5-6 hours to go to the capital of Greece, Athens, where experienced vets with bullies can be found, so she will not be in danger.

Thanks for the diffuser tip, i don't have one now but i'll keep your tip in my notes for future use.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Unfortunately it's a bit tough finding a good vet in my small city.
I took her to my regular one yesterday and prescribed her with tobramycin drops for 6 days for conjuctivitis. She is six months now (growing fast!), and i am waiting after her first period that i will want to castrate her and finding a good vet to do that will be a big challenge. I am already searching the possibilities to travel 5-6 hours to go to the capital of Greece, Athens, where experienced vets with bullies can be found, so she will not be in danger.

Thanks for the diffuser tip, i don't have one now but i'll keep your tip in my notes for future use.

If you have no choice you might have to drive 5-6 hrs to get her spayed. Glad you went to the vet. Keep us posted on her condition.

Members online

No members online now.