Getting my new pup on Friday! First time owner

CJacko97

Jul 10, 2023
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Sash
Hey everyone,

I'm a first time puppy owner, had dogs as a child, but now I'm an adult and can make my own decisions I've gotten a lovely Tri Merle english bulldog pup, she's 8 weeks on Friday and thats when I can pick her up.. I'm wondering what stuff I need to get, and mainly what size harness I'll need?

Royal Canin Bulldog puppy dog food.
Leash
Harness (What size Harness do I need? Looking at the K9 harnesses, and they come in difference sizes..
Bowls
Cage
Dog collar (Do I want to put a collar around their neck so early?)
Toys!!! (Important one)
Blanket
Puppy Pads

Anythign else?

Thanks Connor.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
OP
C

CJacko97

Jul 10, 2023
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Sash
Hi all,
Just a quick update to say that I've read a lot on here that the Royal Canin food is bad, I've been reading on an english bulldog subreddit that it was recommended. So I'll do some more research on the food.

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
Hi all,
Just a quick update to say that I've read a lot on here that the Royal Canin food is bad, I've been reading on an english bulldog subreddit that it was recommended. So I'll do some more research on the food.
I don’t like it but I have some show breeder friends who love it, and they have lots of beautiful, healthy, dogs. In my case I perceived it causing some tear staining. Dog food is a personal choice and it can be scary. Keep in mind that the internet is full of passionate misinformation. Good luck!

OP
C

CJacko97

Jul 10, 2023
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Sash
Thank you! Honestly the other stuff recommended is very expensive, which I can understand, because it's good stuff I assume! I think I'll try the Royal Canin, as that's what the breeder has currently got them on.

Does anyone have any idea at what age I can start to incorporate other things into their diet? Veggies/Eggs etc.

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
that's what the breeder has currently got them on.
Do try to keep a lasting relationship with your breeder. Both Tri and Merle colours are coming from outside of the breed. As such you'll have some things to look out for that are outside of the scope of purebred bulldog research. Bringing this up early could cause sour feelings, so try to build the relationship first. Hopefully the breeder can clue you in to things or help you brainstorm solutions as your dog ages. Merle, for instance, can bring in deafness and comes from a few different breeds (like collie and australian shepard).

get to know the breed standard (for uk that's here: https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/breed-standards/utility/bulldog/ ). The BCA provides a nice illustrated guide: https://bulldogclubofamerica.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/illustratedstandard.pdf - Use this to educate the people you meet and learn more about your pet

Last edited:

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Hey everyone,

I'm a first time puppy owner, had dogs as a child, but now I'm an adult and can make my own decisions I've gotten a lovely Tri Merle english bulldog pup, she's 8 weeks on Friday and thats when I can pick her up.. I'm wondering what stuff I need to get, and mainly what size harness I'll need?

Royal Canin Bulldog puppy dog food.
Leash
Harness (What size Harness do I need? Looking at the K9 harnesses, and they come in difference sizes..
Bowls
Cage
Dog collar (Do I want to put a collar around their neck so early?)
Toys!!! (Important one)
Blanket
Puppy Pads

Anythign else?

Thanks Connor.

Welcome.

Is the breeder feeding the Royal Canin bulldog puppy food?

I HIGHLY recommend AVOIDING all these brands and any of their formulas(all fillers and causes health issues!):
Royal Canin, Hills, Purina, Eukanuba, Science diet, anything from vet or grocery store avoid, blue Buffalo and bil Jac avoid too.

good quality kibble brands:

-Carna 4
-Natures Logic
-N&D

Natures logic and Carna 4 are synthetic free and all whole food based, and have probiotics in it too.

Raw diet is best if you are open to it??

Diet is best way to prevent health issues, and some can even be treated thru good food.
I definitely wouldn’t keep put him in/keep him on Royal Canin.

What size harness you will need will depend on the brand, how they are made and how it fits you puppy.

Canada pooch, Ruffwear,
Frenchie Bulldog is where I get my French bulldog his harnesses and collars, good for the oddly shaped breeds.

Canada pooch fits the oddly shaped breeds like these well too(their clothes are really good too)!

Measure your puppy and choose size accordingly-she also may grow out of it eventually too! If a local store carries it, I would take her and try it on her(if possible).

For the collar- I do and have since I got all my dogs as puppies, why because I put the name tags(also has the phone # on it in cause they Got lost- my dogs never get out, but I always have the collar with tags on it for just in case)on the side of caution🙂
Maybe that’s another thing if you don’t have one- ID name tag?

I take the collar off at night for bedtime, then back on in the morning. If they get excited at the door it’s something to grab onto for safety too. And I never walk my dogs on the collar, I use harness to attach leash on walks.

Dog bed other than the crate?

Teething chew toys? Do you have a puppy kong?

Treats for potty training- I give 1 ingredient beef liver treats and other 1 ingredient treats.

Crumps, Northwest Naturals, vital essentials, puppy love, Benny bully’s are all good brands of 1 ingredient treats I give the dogs for training- they go nuts for beef liver!
Something healthy and that they like will make training easier!🙂

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Hi all,

Yes Royal Canin and hills, science diet, Eukanuba and others I listed in my first response to you is all garbage/fillers including Purina.
I recommend AVOIDING as it’s full of garbage and fillers and causes many health issues.

I listed some good brands in my last response to you, Natures Logic , Carna 4 and N&D Farmina is good brands. Raw diet is best if you can and are open to it.

Just because Royal Canin has a ‘Bulldog’ food doesn’t mean it’s good for them, same for vet food and grocery store, avoid.

There is nothing in the Royal Canin bulldog food that’s specially for bulldogs.

And people who recommend them(including vets), get $$$ from marketing for them, same with Purina and Hills.

It’s got Wheat, Brewers rice, Corn(bad for them and causes health issues and inflammation just like wheat and Brewers rice) , By-Products(literally is waste from garbage bin) and chicken.
Chicken is actually the most common allergy too, and same with corn and the other ingredients I listed.

Breeders also may get $$ and free food for promoting their food and having their pups on it.

If it was me, I wouldn’t even buy a bag of that, I would switch the pup right away to high quality food cause it’s now your dog.

But that’s what I would do. It’s up to you as the owner though.

I made the mistake and trusted my breeder for the other 2 dogs and it caused BOTH dogs kidney disease at ages 5 and 6 years from the low quality food in their food from breeder as pups. Horrible. Never again for me to continuing to feed the garbge food the breeders fed!

Same for my frenchie, I trusted the breeder fed good food, at age 5 months MANY health issues popped up and 37 vets bills per year for the first 2 years(37 vet bills PER year for the first 2 years!), crazy and still dealing with some of the many health issues, but some have been treated thru the raw diet.

And some of these garbage foods are kind of expensive, so some people think cause it’s expensive it must be good stuff- not all the Time and vet food is one example, Royal Canin is possibly one of them too for expensive but it’s garbage your paying for.

But it’s up to you what you want your dog on.

Last edited:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Sorry but Royal Canin is a big no no. Simply read in here the dogs with issues, what they’re eating when asked. 90% you’ll see Royal Canin, Science Hill n Purina. Why start with an issue kibble especially a puppy? Start the puppy on a quality kibble. You’ll see less of your vet. Puppies are still protected with mom’s milk for allergies n most health problem. Keep puppy’s gut flora going. Healthy Gut, Healthy Dog. Also do your rotation of proteins. The more a puppy is introduced to different proteins, the less allergies down the road. After each bag, change protein flavors….repeat….

OP
C

CJacko97

Jul 10, 2023
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Sash
Thanks for your recommendations guys, I was looking on amazon to purchase some of these things and noticed that they don't really deliver with prime etc, so I'm guessing there's not much stock.. I'll have to visit a pet store near me and see if I can find any of the better stuff.

How much do you guys spend on food per month for just 1 bulldog?

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Just had a look at all the foods recommended and none of them seem to be in England, does anyone hav any reccomendations for England?

EDIT - Ordered some of this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XFTVZKX?psc=1&smid=A2J8UF1DKGX9UK&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp (Sorry if links not allowed...) - This is 6* on the food list, so will give this a try.
I was never able to stabilize my dog’s stool with Orijen (but there are certainly some people who love it) and eventually switched to ProPlan. I’ve later learned of problems with high protein consumption, and (like every other premium food) there are issues with the company.

Whatever you do, don’t waste your money throwing food out that your dog isn’t allergic to. Whatever the internet thinks about your food choice, one bag isn’t going to destroy your dog. If you’ve already purchased the RC, use it up either before you switch or as mixins.

Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
C

CJacko97

Jul 10, 2023
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Sash
Thanks for the comments, thankfully I didn't purchase any of the Royal Canin food. I can see from more research online that vets are paid to promote it.. This is what the breeder has her on at the moment, and I'll be collecting her on Friday. Do you think I need to buy some, and half an half mix it to ween her off it?

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Thanks for the comments, thankfully I didn't purchase any of the Royal Canin food. I can see from more research online that vets are paid to promote it.. This is what the breeder has her on at the moment, and I'll be collecting her on Friday. Do you think I need to buy some, and half an half mix it to ween her off it?

I do not recommend you switch to Purina Pro Plan as that’s fillers too like the rest of Purina and the low quality brand I listed I recommended staying away from.

Yes vets are paid to promote this and hills and Purina . A healthy dog won’t be at vet much with high quality food. If they eat a low quality food like Royal Canin, Hills or Purina(any of the brand formulas) they will be at the vet LOTS for health issues.!

I predict your breeder is promoting Royal Canin for a reason- she probably gets free or discounted food to feed the pups or her adult dogs.

It’s up to you whether you want to gradually transition off the RC or go straight to high quality food.

Do you have any raw dog food brands available to you? A local pet store or local delivery?

Members online

No members online now.