OP
Peppa-pooch

Peppa-pooch

Apr 5, 2022
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Peppa
@Bulldog2001 thanks for those links, i'll take time out to read. Last night was her worst yet - waking up at 3am and scratching non-stop. I had to take her out of her bed ( she sleeps next to me) and take her onto the living room couch to let her sleep on my chest and she calms down.
Do you think the Itch Support Gold is okay to use with Quercetin and Colostrum?

@1Chumly I might take Peppa off Apoquel completely as well. She's been on half tablet a day now so i may aswell because it's not benefiting much and probably doing more harm than good.

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
i was giving my dog the bovine but then realized it had beef in it and she is allergic to beef, even beef bones.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
@Bulldog2001 thanks for those links, i'll take time out to read. Last night was her worst yet - waking up at 3am and scratching non-stop. I had to take her out of her bed ( she sleeps next to me) and take her onto the living room couch to let her sleep on my chest and she calms down.
Do you think the Itch Support Gold is okay to use with Quercetin and Colostrum?

@1Chumly I might take Peppa off Apoquel completely as well. She's been on half tablet a day now so i may aswell because it's not benefiting much and probably doing more harm than good.

I would try her off the apoquel.

Yes you can give itch support gold supplement with the Quercetin and bovine Colostrum.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
i was giving my dog the bovine but then realized it had beef in it and she is allergic to beef, even beef bones.

It doesnā€™t have beef in it, itā€™s from cows, however one of my other dogs thatā€™s allergic to beef, she can have the bovine Colostrum no issue.

Maybe itā€™s just your dog that canā€™t have it cause most dogs are good with it.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
How long has he been on colostrum for??

It can take up to 3-4 weeks to see a difference.

Are you giving it away from food??
He has been on it a week. As I said, early days! I try to remember to give it to him before food, unfortunately, when my dogs remind me what time it is, it is usually too late! They want their food and they want it now! I will start to give it to him as soon as he gets up in the morning (he's a bit lazy).

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
He has been on it a week. As I said, early days! I try to remember to give it to him before food, unfortunately, when my dogs remind me what time it is, it is usually too late! They want their food and they want it now! I will start to give it to him as soon as he gets up in the morning (he's a bit lazy).

Keep us updated, hope he improves soon

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
It doesnā€™t have beef in it, itā€™s from cows, however one of my other dogs thatā€™s allergic to beef, she can have the bovine Colostrum no issue.

Maybe itā€™s just your dog that canā€™t have it cause most dogs are good with it.
ahh yes, my apologies. it was the four leaf digest supplement that had New Zealand Liver (Bovine) and New Zealand Pancreas (Bovine) that she could not have.

Meaty6051

Feb 16, 2020
Colorado
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Christopher (deceased)
So this is the first summer we are experiencing with Peppa and she seems to be shedding a lot. And I mean a lot. I brush her everyday and she still sheds. Mostly from her belly side.
She is currently on Apoquel prescription to help with her skin allergies and we are also trying out a new home cooked diet. I donā€™t think itā€™s Apoquelā€™s side effects and i certainly donā€™t think it will be the new diet.

Is this normal for bulldogs to shed a lot throughout summer?
I used to give Meaty one of these every morning. I started them when he was getting some scabby dry bare patches on his back, and it made a huge difference. The dry patches stopped, his coat was lovely and soft, and I suddenly realized he barely shed any more.
Salveo Petcare Omega 3 Fish Oil for Dogs - Natural Pet Supplement for Shiny Coat - Wild Caught More EPA & DHA Than Salmon Oil - No Fishy Smell or Mess - Ideal for Medium Large DogsSalveo Petcare Omega 3 Fish Oil for Dogs -ā€¦

OP
Peppa-pooch

Peppa-pooch

Apr 5, 2022
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Peppa
Update:
3 weeks now on Quercetin
2 weeks on Bovine
1 week she has been on reduced 1/2 tablet Apoquel per day.

The scratching and licking paws and biting paws has gotten a lot worse.
Her nipples and back legs are bleeding because of scratching and biting.

@Bulldog2001 I know different dogs will react differently but how long did it take for your dogs to fully transition to the natural supplements? I would like to have an idea and may need to order more bovine and mushroom immunity mix soon.

OP
Peppa-pooch

Peppa-pooch

Apr 5, 2022
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Peppa
Oh and sheā€™s also developed acne under her chin. Some spots are bleeding. This has only started within this three week period of reducing Apoquel and addition of immune boosters. Itā€™s probably the time of the year because she drools a lot because of the hot weather when walking.

Even before the acne We have always carried a bunch of napkins with us and and constantly wipe her drool to keep the chin dry.
Same goes after she eats - clean all around the mouth area with baby wipes and dry off.
Her bowl is cleaned after every meal too.

Any recommendations on treating this?

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
When it is hot and/or humid out we've always kept our bulldogs inside and avoided walks entirely. We run outside when it's necessary to unload and then go right back into the AC. I wonder if you skipped the walks for a few weeks if you could also reduce the exposure to whatever allergy he is having - assuming it's environmental. I realize walks are important psychologically and physically, but if it reduces this at all (it may not) I would think that would outweigh the benefits.

When Millie was having bad hives multiple breeders I talked with asked if I was taking her outside on the humid days. I generally avoid that, so I don't believe that was my problem, but reading your last post reminded me of that.

I posted a few times recently about how to do a chlorohexidine soak, you could try these a few times to see if it calms the wounds down at all: /threads/allergies-yeast.63683/#post-787517

for the chin, what has helped me you already mentioned above. But also we sometimes put ointment on her chin to keep it from holding moisture. Search for "The Blissful Dog" "Nose Butter" and see if you can either get that or something like it. It looks like lipchap

For the nose rope have you tried adding corn starch after drying?

Last edited:

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Update:
3 weeks now on Quercetin
2 weeks on Bovine
1 week she has been on reduced 1/2 tablet Apoquel per day.

The scratching and licking paws and biting paws has gotten a lot worse.
Her nipples and back legs are bleeding because of scratching and biting.

@Bulldog2001 I know different dogs will react differently but how long did it take for your dogs to fully transition to the natural supplements? I would like to have an idea and may need to order more bovine and mushroom immunity mix soon.

Darn, this is the tough thing once they are given apoquel, I know cause one of my dogs was on it before and she was the same. However, it can take up to 4 weeks to see improvement, my dog took 4 weeks and my other dog that wasnā€™t on apoquel took 2 weeks for the colostrum.

Can you put socks or dog boots on her so she doesnā€™t scratch?

For my severe dog that was on apoquel and now off it and on colostrum and Quercetin, I also gave her ā€œPet Well-being Itch Support Goldā€ supplement cause she needed a little extra of itch relief to take the edge off even though she improved greatly.

I would see how she does after another 2 weeks of bovine Colostrum with the Quercetin.
Immunity Mushrooms would be helpful too for her.
Any improvement on the wart/ growth??

Another thing thatā€™s greatly helped my dogs and the inflammation is the raw diet, I have them on raw diet and itā€™s also made a big difference, my other dog who was never on apoquel, he would get constant skin infections, covered in bumps/hives, and yeast overgrowth as well, ear infections and eye infections, he hasnā€™t had a allergic reaction since being on raw diet(other than him being allergic to rabbit). This is the dog that got those viral warts constantly from a weakened immune system, he is 3 years old. The immunity Mushrooms has helped got rid of those warts(this was 2 years ago).

My other dog that was on apoquel for allergies(she is 8), she also was put on raw diet 6-8 months ago and she is doing really well too, diet improved her just like my other dog, and supplements too really help(the ones I mentioned, colostrum, immunity Mushrooms, Quercetin, and now itch support Gold to take the edge off.

Have you bathed her lately?? Cause thatā€™s something that really helps wash the allergens off and soothes irritation and calms itch.

I hope she starts improving soon!

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Oh and sheā€™s also developed acne under her chin. Some spots are bleeding. This has only started within this three week period of reducing Apoquel and addition of immune boosters. Itā€™s probably the time of the year because she drools a lot because of the hot weather when walking.

Even before the acne We have always carried a bunch of napkins with us and and constantly wipe her drool to keep the chin dry.
Same goes after she eats - clean all around the mouth area with baby wipes and dry off.
Her bowl is cleaned after every meal too.

Any recommendations on treating this?

Definitely continue to keep her face and food and water dishes clean, dry her face after she eats, and try not to walk her in hot or humid weather.

I use ā€˜Natural Dog Company -Skin sootherā€™ itā€™s a good balm for acne and skin irritation and issues.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
My two cents is every dog is different and you need to give what works for your dogs to keep them comfortable. My Frenchie has terrible environmental allergies. He was on Apoquel for a couple years which helped and then we switched to Cytopoint which has worked wonders and he can go months between injections. I tried giving only natural stuff and it wasnā€™t enough. I donā€™t care what other people say about Cytopoint. For me, Iā€™m going to keep giving it. Heā€™s 9 years old and other than his allergies, which arenā€™t an issue, and IVDD which the breed is prone to, he is healthy and happy.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My two cents is every dog is different and you need to give what works for your dogs to keep them comfortable. My Frenchie has terrible environmental allergies. He was on Apoquel for a couple years which helped and then we switched to Cytopoint which has worked wonders and he can go months between injections. I tried giving only natural stuff and it wasnā€™t enough. I donā€™t care what other people say about Cytopoint. For me, Iā€™m going to keep giving it. Heā€™s 9 years old and other than his allergies, which arenā€™t an issue, and IVDD which the breed is prone to, he is healthy and happy.
Great points! It is all trail and error, we can give a dive on what works for our babies, but just like everything in life ā€¦ what works for one my not work for another.

Lambeau is on Cytopoint and is able to go 4-6 weeks between shots and if I go past that time his one ear is a hot mess.

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.