Excessive Shedding

Peppa-pooch

Apr 5, 2022
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Peppa
So this is the first summer we are experiencing with Peppa and she seems to be shedding a lot. And I mean a lot. I brush her everyday and she still sheds. Mostly from her belly side.
She is currently on Apoquel prescription to help with her skin allergies and we are also trying out a new home cooked diet. I don’t think it’s Apoquel’s side effects and i certainly don’t think it will be the new diet.

Is this normal for bulldogs to shed a lot throughout summer?

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
So this is the first summer we are experiencing with Peppa and she seems to be shedding a lot. And I mean a lot. I brush her everyday and she still sheds. Mostly from her belly side.
She is currently on Apoquel prescription to help with her skin allergies and we are also trying out a new home cooked diet. I don’t think it’s Apoquel’s side effects and i certainly don’t think it will be the new diet.

Is this normal for bulldogs to shed a lot throughout summer?

I would really try to get her off apoquel as soon as you can, the side effects are horrible(my dog got Tumors from being on it for 30 days! That’s a very common side effect) as it suppressing the immune system so they have no immune system to fight yeast, viruses and cancers.

Have you tried Quercetin or bovine Colostrum for allergies??

What is in the homemade food??

It wouldn’t be the food I wouldn’t think, especially for home cooked I wouldn’t think it’s the food unless she is allergic to the ingredients.

Yes it’s normal for some shedding all year round but at this time of year, it’s a little worse but I wouldn’t say it’s a crazy amount at its worst for This time of year.

OP
Peppa-pooch

Peppa-pooch

Apr 5, 2022
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Peppa
I would really try to get her off apoquel as soon as you can, the side effects are horrible(my dog got Tumors from being on it for 30 days! That’s a very common side effect) as it suppressing the immune system so they have no immune system to fight yeast, viruses and cancers.

Have you tried Quercetin or bovine Colostrum for allergies??

What is in the homemade food??

It wouldn’t be the food I wouldn’t think, especially for home cooked I wouldn’t think it’s the food unless she is allergic to the ingredients.

Yes it’s normal for some shedding all year round but at this time of year, it’s a little worse but I wouldn’t say it’s a crazy amount at its worst for This time of year.
Thanks. Not tried any of those meds you mention but will certainly investigate. Apoquel did work really well for her, and the allergy, as confirmed by the VET is a seasonal one. So I will stop it when Autumn arrives.

Her food consists of ground beef, lamb liver, small amount of bacon, spinach, eggs, tuna/mackerel/sardines, ground ginger, coconut oil, cod liver oil, apple cider vinegar, broccoli,carrots, zucchini, sweet potatoes/pumpkin/butternut squash, blueberries, ground egg shells.
She was 23kg so I gave her 300g of protein and 200g veg/carb daily. But she gained weight to 24kg now. I’ve now reduced her food portion slightly.
She used to be on Arden Grange chicken and rice dry food only because of the previous owners that we adopted from.

Funnily thought today shedding has calmed down.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Thanks. Not tried any of those meds you mention but will certainly investigate. Apoquel did work really well for her, and the allergy, as confirmed by the VET is a seasonal one. So I will stop it when Autumn arrives.

Her food consists of ground beef, lamb liver, small amount of bacon, spinach, eggs, tuna/mackerel/sardines, ground ginger, coconut oil, cod liver oil, apple cider vinegar, broccoli,carrots, zucchini, sweet potatoes/pumpkin/butternut squash, blueberries, ground egg shells.
She was 23kg so I gave her 300g of protein and 200g veg/carb daily. But she gained weight to 24kg now. I’ve now reduced her food portion slightly.
She used to be on Arden Grange chicken and rice dry food only because of the previous owners that we adopted from.

Funnily thought today shedding has calmed down.
Ok, well my dogs have seasonal allergies too, and my vet didn’t tell me the side effects of the apoquel, well just for 30 days on it, Tumors(4 of them) showed up and a different vet said “oh it’s likly from the apoquel”.

Quercetin is the natural anti itch version of apoquel. Bovine Colostrum is the natural version of Benadryl.

The key is boost the immune system NOT suppress it.

The foods sounds really good 👍

Here is a very helpful article from holistic vet, tells you the truth your vet doesn’t tell you:

OP
Peppa-pooch

Peppa-pooch

Apr 5, 2022
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Peppa
That’s a great article. Thank you so much.
When we researched Apoquel in the beginning we were aware of these side effects such as cancer and suppression of immune system. However, we were persuaded by the positives I guess because we really wanted the discomfort to away for Peppa.
But now I think I’m persuaded to stop using it.
She has also developed a small wart on her back drumstick, which is most likely caused by Apoquel. As mentioned in that article.

A question if I may. Have you tried Quercetine or Bovine Colostrum for your dogs? Which would you recommend first and where can I buy from?

is this okay?

That article also mentions Beta Thym, a natural steroid which i would like to try but can’t find a seller in the UK here.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
That’s a great article. Thank you so much.
When we researched Apoquel in the beginning we were aware of these side effects such as cancer and suppression of immune system. However, we were persuaded by the positives I guess because we really wanted the discomfort to away for Peppa.
But now I think I’m persuaded to stop using it.
She has also developed a small wart on her back drumstick, which is most likely caused by Apoquel. As mentioned in that article.

A question if I may. Have you tried Quercetine or Bovine Colostrum for your dogs? Which would you recommend first and where can I buy from?

is this okay?

That article also mentions Beta Thym, a natural steroid which i would like to try but can’t find a seller in the UK here.

For my dog, it did way more harm than good and she actually got more skin problems and it wasn’t working anymore for her and she got more itchy(ironic right?) this was just for 30 days!

Yes at that product is good Quercetin for dogs.

For the viral wart, many people(and a couple members on here) have said the Four Leaf Rover Immunity mushrooms(yes my dogs get that too because he had a viral wart(actually 8 of them at different times all needed surgery cause he couldn’t fight the virus, less than 3 weeks, no more warts and it didn’t come back), look at the thread on here ‘papilloma’ I forget the exact name of the article and at the end, there is a after photo of the warts gone!

Yes I give my dogs bovine Colostrum(I buy the Four Leaf Rover brand), and yes I have also given the Quercetin to my dogs.

I buy the Four Leaf Rover products from:

The Natural Dog Store.com

The bovine colostrum and the Quercetin can be given together if she is going crazy itchy.

Here is the bovine Colostrum, immunity Mushrooms, and the Quercetin I use for the dogs. See photo below:

1657742915108.jpeg

OP
Peppa-pooch

Peppa-pooch

Apr 5, 2022
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Peppa
My priority now is to find the best alternative to Apoquel.
I forgot to mention that we were not too keen on meds from the beginning so we did try to reduce the dose of Apoquel to just one tablet per day instead of 2. However, the next day the itching issues came back the next day. So we had to revert back to 2 tablets per day.

Once we do find an alternative to try out, i'm not sure how to transition her either. Do we just stop Apoquel and then give her the new alternative the next day?
Is this a discussion to be had with the vet?

Is this Bovine Colostrum you mentioned? If so, it's a supplement and does not mention anything about skin allergies.

Sorry about the questions but i'm just worried now :(

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
My priority now is to find the best alternative to Apoquel.
I forgot to mention that we were not too keen on meds from the beginning so we did try to reduce the dose of Apoquel to just one tablet per day instead of 2. However, the next day the itching issues came back the next day. So we had to revert back to 2 tablets per day.

Once we do find an alternative to try out, i'm not sure how to transition her either. Do we just stop Apoquel and then give her the new alternative the next day?
Is this a discussion to be had with the vet?

Is this Bovine Colostrum you mentioned? If so, it's a supplement and does not mention anything about skin allergies.

Sorry about the questions but i'm just worried now :(

No worries I’m happy to help😊

The bovine Colostrum comes in a powder, I put the website In the last reply(TheNaturalDogStore.com)

How we did it was we gave the Quercetin 1 tablet the same day as apoquel(maybe try 1 apoqulel in the morning and 1 tablet of Quercetin at night), it doesn’t cause harm to give it with apoquel, then when she isn’t super itchy you lower the amount of apoquel, the problem is they ‘rely’ on apoquel so that’s why giving Quercetin before you take her fully off apoquel.

The bovine Colostrum boost the immune system and same with the immunity mushrooms supplement, it doesn’t effect the Quercetin or apoquel.

Other than holistic vets, the regular vets don’t know about Quercetin or Bovine Colostrum or immunity Mushrooms.
Same goes for nutrition for them, medications and health issues they are taught.

No that’s not the bovine Colostrum I use, it’s a powder for dogs.

I attached a photo of the supplements in the last reply, did you see it??

OP
Peppa-pooch

Peppa-pooch

Apr 5, 2022
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Peppa
Yeh sorry. I was posting my last reply as you posted your's :)
Thanks for the link to TheNaturalDogStore.com but they only ship to USA and Canada - not to the UK.

1. Bovine Colostrum - do you give orally with food or apply to skin?
I can buy here -

2. Immunity Mushrooms - again do you give orally with food?
I can buy here -

3. Quercetin - I'm not sure what Mg to give. The link i posted in the previous post is expensive so i'm looking at these two -

Again thank you so much for your kind help and advice.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Yeh sorry. I was posting my last reply as you posted your's :)
Thanks for the link to TheNaturalDogStore.com but they only ship to USA and Canada - not to the UK.

1. Bovine Colostrum - do you give orally with food or apply to skin?
I can buy here -

2. Immunity Mushrooms - again do you give orally with food?
I can buy here -

3. Quercetin - I'm not sure what Mg to give. The link i posted in the previous post is expensive so i'm looking at these two -

Again thank you so much for your kind help and advice.

The bovine Colostrum, It works best when given 30 minutes before breakfast as it can work better on empty stomach. Just put the powder in the food dish by itself and they lick it up, no treats or food until 30 minutes after for maximum benefit.

Yes if there is wounds on skin you can mix a little with water and apply to wounds, I only give it by itself 30 minutes before I give him breakfast.

The immunity Mushrooms, yes I just add it to food once daily.

What is the weight of the dog?? For the mg amount of Quercetin.

OP
Peppa-pooch

Peppa-pooch

Apr 5, 2022
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Peppa
She's 24.3kg right now (53.5 lbs) and we are aiming to reduce her to 23kg (50.7 lbs).

I guess any brand of Quercetin would work right?

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
She's 24.3kg right now (53.5 lbs) and we are aiming to reduce her to 23kg (50.7 lbs).

She can have 500mg at the most per day. Usually the capsules(the ones I bought I think are 500 mg), and if you wanted to give 1/2 the tablet twice a day or 1 full tablet once per day!
250-500mg per day for her, I would start at the 500mg daily until she is off apoquel as it will take the itch away while trying to get her off apoquel and keep her comfortable

My dog was wearing the cone of shame cause of the apoquel not working, and my other dog got skin infections ,hives and so many other issues but no more cause of the bovine Colostrum and Quercetin. I think the immunity Mushrooms are helping too.

Probiotics are also very beneficial too for them.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet

And yes I think any brand would work, just check look for 500mg or 250mg per tablet/capsule then you either give 2 of the 250mg or 1 of the 500mg tablets.

OP
Peppa-pooch

Peppa-pooch

Apr 5, 2022
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Peppa
Awesome. thanks again.
Is quercetin complex the same?

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Awesome. thanks again.
Is quercetin complex the same?

Yes so per 2 capsules is 500mg. So she would get 2 capsules per day.

That product should be ok. Did you find the product I bought, I sent a photo of the brand.

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online