OP
Peppa-pooch

Peppa-pooch

Apr 5, 2022
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Peppa
The wrinkles are wiped and cleaned twice daily. Gentle wipes and dried. Every other day or when showing signs of redness we apply anti itch balm which works well.
Her nose wrinkle was alot worse before when she was on kibble. Since switching to home cooked food and Apoquel it's completely cleared!
The Bovine arrived this morning so thats good news. I can start her tomorrow and see how it goes.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
The wrinkles are wiped and cleaned twice daily. Gentle wipes and dried. Every other day or when showing signs of redness we apply anti itch balm which works well.
Her nose wrinkle was alot worse before when she was on kibble. Since switching to home cooked food and Apoquel it's completely cleared!
The Bovine arrived this morning so thats good news. I can start her tomorrow and see how it goes.

Awesome, that will definitely help the wrinkles by keeping them clean and dry.
Also the immune system too, boost it thru food and supplements(no drugs or immune suppressants).

Is she still on Quercetin and only 1/2 a apoquel??

Great the bovine Colostrum arrived!

Just a reminder, the bovine Colostrum works best when given 30 minutes BEFORE breakfast, as it works best on a empty stomach(you donā€™t have to but it absorbtion is better on empty stomach), which I give it 30 minutes before breakfast, OR I give it at lunchtime if they do t get any treats.

What I do is put the daily amount of the colostrum powder Into the dogs dish, by itself and they lick the powder up and then feed them breakfast 30 minutes later(or if you give it at lunchtime as long as they havenā€™t had treats 2 hrs before, and no food 30 minutes after).

For me if I forget to give it 30 minutes before breakfast, I give it @2:00 as long as no treats or snacks have been given to the dog after 12;00, then I feed them dinner @4:00 so as long as no food 2 hrs before and no food or treats until at least 30 minutes after the powder.

Itā€™s a great product though, definitely keep me posted and hopefully she doesnā€™t need apoquel anymore and only bovine Colostrum and QuercetinšŸ™‚

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
He has pretty severe arthritis. We ran out of Rimadyl when it was on back order at several pharmacies and we noticed a huge difference in just a couple of days. He had trouble getting up with us having to help him plus he was really hobbling when he was up, poor boy. He was obviously in pain but I just don't like the thought of Rimadyl and all the side effects.

One of my dogs has severe arthritis and actually got to the point where she couldnā€™t walk, I decline prescription meds cause she has kidney disease from the not good kibble when she was younger, however, I give freeze dried green lipped mussel powder to her daily and when she lumps more or is very sore(like the day she could barely walk-which was before starting green lipped mussel powder), I give CBD oil for pain and inflammation and it works wonders.

So I give the green lipped mussel powder daily, and when I notice she has a day where she is more sore from over playing, I give her CBD oil and itā€™s great, none of these 2 things has any potential side effects.

OP
Peppa-pooch

Peppa-pooch

Apr 5, 2022
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Peppa
Sheā€™s still on 1 Apoquel but Iā€™ll reduce to half now that the colostrum has arrived.

yeh I read elsewhere also to give 30 mins before breakfast which is what I did this morning.

I just have it in my palm and she licks it off while still in bed :giggle:

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
One of my dogs has severe arthritis and actually got to the point where she couldnā€™t walk, I decline prescription meds cause she has kidney disease from the not good kibble when she was younger, however, I give freeze dried green lipped mussel powder to her daily and when she lumps more or is very sore(like the day she could barely walk-which was before starting green lipped mussel powder), I give CBD oil for pain and inflammation and it works wonders.

So I give the green lipped mussel powder daily, and when I notice she has a day where she is more sore from over playing, I give her CBD oil and itā€™s great, none of these 2 things has any potential side effects.
He is on the green-lipped mussel powder. He was on the chews but started him on the powder when we ran out of chews a few days ago. I have tried CBD oil in the past and had no luck at all. It was expensive but I can't remember which one it was.

OP
Peppa-pooch

Peppa-pooch

Apr 5, 2022
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Peppa
Update:
She has been on 1/2 Apoquel with colostrum and 500mg of Quercetin daily for 1 week now. The itching and licking paws has returned now. She started again after the second day.

Before that she was on 500mg of quercetin and 1 Apoquel daily for about a week and half.

I honestly cannot see it working. Looks like 1 Apoquel a day is the minimum we can reduce her to.
the quercetin just doesnā€™t seem like itā€™s strong enough to do the job and Iā€™m not sure if the colostrum is helping at all.

Colostrum is given daily at least 30 mins before breakfast.
Iā€™ve also started giving quercetin on an empty stomach because I read elsewhere that this is more beneficial.

The itching, scratching licking is happening towards early hours in the morning when the dayā€™s Apoquel is wearing off.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Update:
She has been on 1/2 Apoquel with colostrum and 500mg of Quercetin daily for 1 week now. The itching and licking paws has returned now. She started again after the second day.

Before that she was on 500mg of quercetin and 1 Apoquel daily for about a week and half.

I honestly cannot see it working. Looks like 1 Apoquel a day is the minimum we can reduce her to.
the quercetin just doesnā€™t seem like itā€™s strong enough to do the job and Iā€™m not sure if the colostrum is helping at all.

Colostrum is given daily at least 30 mins before breakfast.
Iā€™ve also started giving quercetin on an empty stomach because I read elsewhere that this is more beneficial.

The itching, scratching licking is happening towards early hours in the morning when the dayā€™s Apoquel is wearing off.

It can take a little longer for the bovine Colostrum to be more effective as natural stuff takes a little longer, for the colostrum, it can take up to 3-4 weeks to notice improvements sometimes sooner.

Thatā€™s the issue with Apoquel is that the vets says oh she is a little itchy give apoquel, and then when you need to take them off apoquel, they are worse then they were before apoquel because they are so dependent sometimes on the immune-suppressant it does and sometimes they ā€˜relyā€™ on the apoquel as frustrating as that is.

Give the Quercetin and bovine Colostrum more time to see if she improves more.

Donā€™t give up yet! See if she improves in the next 3-4 weeks and it should have taken the effect by then.

Continue to keep us updated.

OP
Peppa-pooch

Peppa-pooch

Apr 5, 2022
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Peppa
Yeh, i'll keep at it.
I'm trying to understand the science behind it and it doesn't make sense to me. The itch comes from the body's immune response right? It releases cytokines? And that's what causes itchiness. Apoquel stops this and therefore stops the itchiness.
However, if the natural products "boost" the immune system then won't the body produce more cytokines and thus cause more itchiness?

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Yeh, i'll keep at it.
I'm trying to understand the science behind it and it doesn't make sense to me. The itch comes from the body's immune response right? It releases cytokines? And that's what causes itchiness. Apoquel stops this and therefore stops the itchiness.
However, if the natural products "boost" the immune system then won't the body produce more cytokines and thus cause more itchiness?

No. Apoquel suppresses the immune system making the body not heal and the immune system not work, however, Boosting the immune system and the Quercetin Anti-itch and anti histimane is what would work best.

Boost the immune system doesnā€™t make it worse for the itch. They have zero immune system on apoquel and same with Cytopoint(injection version of apoquel), no immune system means Tumors, cancers, viruses(as you already seen with the viral warts as a side effect) they all take over cause they have no immune system.

Boost immune system does NOT cause more itching.

Also, carbs in diet=inflammation which also means more itchy dog. Thatā€™s also another thing.

Because she has been on apoquel for a while, they will depend on the immune suppressant, the longer they are on it, the harder it is to get them off this nasty apoquel.

Are you against the ā€˜natural productsā€™ that donā€™t have the side effects?

OP
Peppa-pooch

Peppa-pooch

Apr 5, 2022
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Peppa
Sorry, i didn't get my point across in my post.
I'm not against the natural stuff. I want them to work and i completely understand that dependency on meds is not a good thing.
I just want to understand how the natural supplements work.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Sorry, i didn't get my point across in my post.
I'm not against the natural stuff. I want them to work and i completely understand that dependency on meds is not a good thing.
I just want to understand how the natural supplements work.

I have attached some articles that go to really good details on how the Quercetin and bovine Colostrum help allergies, and other tips as well as 5 signs of food allergies(in case she shows signs of being allergic to something in her diet).
I know how it works, I just find these articles go into much depth so maybe you can better understand why I suggested the bovine Colostrum and Quercetin and why it worked for my dogs and other people i have heard good feedback from.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Yes, for a week now, no Apoquel and so far he is licking his feet like crazy. Early days though. He is also on the colostrum.
How long has he been on colostrum for??

It can take up to 3-4 weeks to see a difference.

Are you giving it away from food??

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Also forgot to mention to both of you @Peppa-pooch and @1Chumly that there is another anti- itch supplement you can try as well itā€™s called:

Pet Well-being brand - itch support Gold product, itā€™s a liquid supplement.

Members online