Collar Question

Bmcswain1

Apr 5, 2021
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zuri
Hello hope everyone is having a great day. I have had a few people tell me not to put a collar on our new EBP wait until she is bigger and just use a good harness. SO basically not use a collar at all due to issues with their breathing. Can someone let me know the thoughts on this?

Attachments

• IMG_0454.jpg
    IMG_0454.jpg
    471.4 KB · Views: 206

BullyBoston

Jan 14, 2016
Boston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Apollo
She's beautiful!! To each their own. Our bulldog started off with a fancy collar but as he got bigger (and before he was a year old) he got stronger and pulled hard on walks. Granted it's in how you train them as well. We ended up putting a training collar on him through his trainer BC he's really strong and just pulls very hard. With the help of his training collar he stopped pulling but he still wears one and is fine. We never got him a harness.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Iā€™ve always had a collar on my dogs but a bit loose so my hand fits through. If you need to grab your dog ASAP well you got grip. Also they get use to them. A neck of an EB is much stronger than what people think. Iā€™m not a fan of harnesses as I find it often irritates a dog under their arms n rubs on the hair off because a harness needs to be snuggled on cause these dogs are little Houdiniā€™s. When I walked my 2 as pups they had a harness n a choke collar. I used a 2clip 8ā€™ lease clipped on the harness n on the collar. The walks are guided towards the harness n the choke chain which HAS TO BE under their jowls line n no their airways are not there. When the dog pulls you ONLY yank very lightly on the choker then release n back to the harness. When the dog realizes they gets yanked when they pull, they sure quickly learn. Once they stopped pulling on walks no need to yank anymore nor use the choker but a regular collar. Now definitely you donā€™t have to train like so but it sure works well n they learn much faster to not pull.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
We started out with a collar but then turned to a harness after half a year or so. We have found that padded harnesses work best as they otherwise can rub off the coat.

kyredneck

Mar 20, 2021
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Levi
+ 1 for a collar. Every now and than Iā€™ll use a harness but he is much more comfortable with the collar on. Only time I harness him is in public cause everyone that sees him has to love on him and I have better control / leverage with the harness. I use a wide collar

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Adorable! I use a martingale collar on both my boys. It , for me, provides enough control if they decide to pull cause of the ability to correct without choking. Iā€™m lucky they both walk well and stay next to or just in front of me .

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
I did the same as [MENTION=9875]cefe13[/MENTION]

Even when I took Joey to obedience classes it was with a harness. Beautiful Pup!!!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
+ 1 for a collar. Every now and than Iā€™ll use a harness but he is much more comfortable with the collar on. Only time I harness him is in public cause everyone that sees him has to love on him and I have better control / leverage with the harness. I use a wide collar

I use a harness on both dogs around water. On walks only Jake but he still is guided with a little yank here n there. Anxiety kicks in.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi you've already been given great advice above. I use Kong Collars for short walks, or going in the car. I take the collar off when we are at home, for comfort. I use the Julius K9 Harness when we go on long walks. They are the harnesses that the police and the military use. You can order them on the Julius K9 Website.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    532.8 KB · Views: 176
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 205
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    632.9 KB · Views: 199

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegHi you've already been given great advice above. I use Kong Collars for short walks, or going in the car. I take the collar off when we are at home, for comfort. I use the K9 Julius Harness when we go on long walks. They are the harnesses that the police and the military use. You can order them on the K9 Julius Website.

ladywebb

Feb 12, 2021
Midwest
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert
Such a cutie! My Gilbert has a collar (on when go we somewhere..off usually when at home) and we use a harness when we go for a walk or in the car.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Buster has a soft collar, martingale type, because I am paranoid of him getting out and it has his tags on. Also, because we have a pool, it is something to grab onto if he should ever fall in. We have a harness for whenever we go out, walks, vets etc as I don't like to clip anything to his collar.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
We use Martingale collars in most instances. However when we are doing fund raising events with the dogs we use harnesses. We don't have any of the Julius harnesses but I really like the look of them and I were to buy another that's what I would get.
Good responses from everyone here.

Mechadogzilla

Nov 15, 2020
Maryland
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hugo(English Bulldog) and Hans(Rottweiler)
I first starting using Harness when I got my Rottweiler-front attaching harnesses really cut back on pulling. There is a company that sells harnesses in 3 pieces, so you can get a good fit. Rotties like Bulldogs donā€™t fit well in standard harnesses as chest is very large. I need to find where I ordered from though as there is no branding on the one I have.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
None of my guys wear collars while at home. Iā€™ve heard several stories where the collar gets stuck on something and then the dog panics and ends up choking. Louie needs a pinch collar when out and about to give me full control and Ella has a martingale collar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.