Coat color question

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Jake is a red fawn sable tri. Yours look like his red fawn.

6E917184-8F7B-4340-B31D-37779A8E010A.jpeg

OP
S

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
Jake is a red fawn sable tri. Yours look like his red fawn.

View attachment 120485

Jake is gorgeous! I just wanna hug him! Had no clue that more than one of the established colors could be used to describe a coat.
I initially thought red and white but reds don't have the black hairs mixed in the base color or golden highlights nor has 3 colors. Then with her black ears and black "points" I thought maybe fawn, but again the fawn color described doesn't have the black hairs mixed in base color and neither have 3 distinctive separate colors even though base color can range from light tan to a darker red color. (My Akita was registered as fawn but was not tan at all and had no tan on her at all, she was mouse colored but because of her black face mask AKC registered her as fawn) Only the sable does and even though she has 3 distinctive colors she does not have the tri pattern, but sable is defined as "under developed tri" having the 3 colors but not a tri pattern so I've been really confused over this. A lot have commented she's red and white, maybe I should just settle on and say she's a red sable and white since more than one term can be used :0)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Jake is gorgeous! I just wanna hug him! Had no clue that more than one of the established colors could be used to describe a coat.
I initially thought red and white but reds don't have the black hairs mixed in the base color or golden highlights nor has 3 colors. Then with her black ears and black "points" I thought maybe fawn, but again the fawn color described doesn't have the black hairs mixed in base color and neither have 3 distinctive separate colors even though base color can range from light tan to a darker red color. (My Akita was registered as fawn but was not tan at all and had no tan on her at all, she was mouse colored but because of her black face mask AKC registered her as fawn) Only the sable does and even though she has 3 distinctive colors she does not have the tri pattern, but sable is defined as "under developed tri" having the 3 colors but not a tri pattern so I've been really confused over this. A lot have commented she's red and white, maybe I should just settle on and say she's a red sable and white since more than one term can be used :0)

Sable basically isn’t a colour more like..how go ups explain this lol... like a carrier or like a shade
Best way to know it a dna test.

here this explains it better than I
Dog Coat Colour Genetics

OP
S

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
Sable basically isn’t a colour more like..how go ups explain this lol... like a carrier or like a shade
Best way to know it a dna test.

here this explains it better than I
Dog Coat Colour Genetics

From what I understand from that site Shirley would be a red shaded sable and white because the black hairs are mixed throughout. Too many technicalities.... wish they were as simple as horse coat colors lol I think the biggest technicality in horse colors is sorrel vs chestnut which is basically what shade of red or brown dominates. A liver chestnut has a deep brown dominate making them look almost chocolate or "liverish". You can get deep into genes and genetics as well, but I don't have to question a color when looking at a horse as I have with Shirley and trying to figure out because she has this and this is she considered this or is she considered that because she doesn't match any one color, but sable is the only explanation of the black hairs mixed throughout.

Members online

No members online now.