Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Do you defrost them first or do you give them frozen?? The package says itā€™s optional, but not sure what would be best/saferšŸ˜Š
I give straight from the freezer.

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
I too straight from the freezer

Ok great, i too was giving it right from freezer but I wasnā€™t sure if I was supposed to. I will continue to give them frozen.

Thanks everyone!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Do you defrost them first or do you give them frozen?? The package says itā€™s optional, but not sure what would be best/saferšŸ˜Š
I let them sit our for a couple hours to slowly thaw, but you can give right from freezer like ice cream :)

Also, when done, I sae some of the bones.. rinse them off and stuff with peanut butter or cream cheese and back to the freezer for a later treat

berlin78

Jun 23, 2017
WA State
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie & Chloe (Bella RIP 2019)
Question about this:
There are marrow bones that are "roasted" and marrow bones that are raw; we used to give the "roasted" ones and watch the girls really close, but stopped quite some time ago as they would occasionally splinter and they made a giant mess. I assume they are considered cooked, since they are roasted, right? I know this is a dumb question ,but I just like getting everyone's input.

Also, is it best to only get raw bones from a butcher, or are there other companies that sell raw marrow bones? I should know this by now, but we've switched to antlers for many years. I would love to give marrow bones once in a while as a treat. Thanks, all!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Question about this:
There are marrow bones that are "roasted" and marrow bones that are raw; we used to give the "roasted" ones and watch the girls really close, but stopped quite some time ago as they would occasionally splinter and they made a giant mess. I assume they are considered cooked, since they are roasted, right? I know this is a dumb question ,but I just like getting everyone's input.

Also, is it best to only get raw bones from a butcher, or are there other companies that sell raw marrow bones? I should know this by now, but we've switched to antlers for many years. I would love to give marrow bones once in a while as a treat. Thanks, all!
No dumb questions..... yes, roasted would be cooked and I would avoid those for just the reason yo state.. splintering.

Some raw food companies sell the bones no difference but they are much more expensive than getting from a local butcher or the grocery store. Most places call them "soup bones'

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Question about this:

Yes roasted bones are cooked, which can splinter, break teeth, and cause blockages.

I donā€™t get any bones from the butcher, I buy it all from a local pet store because they are actually bigger than grocery store, and also they come in Buffalo marrow bones as well as the regular beef marrow bones.

The raw bones are much softer and very unlikely will break a tooth, splinter it cause a blockage(BUT make sure to supervise at all times with any chew/bone including antlers and bully sticks and raw bones).

The raw marrow bones we give to our dogs, we give them on the dog bed, or on a mat, they donā€™t really make a mess, but every chew isnā€™t perfect for no smell or mess.

The raw bones also have enzymes from it being raw which helps with the plaque, the raw bones are a natural ā€œtoothbrush ā€œ for dogs.

Do you feed raw food?

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.