My dog broke/chipped her tooth on a raw bone-HELP PLEASE!!

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Today, I gave my 3 dogs(2 retrievers and a French Bulldog), a raw bone(this was a knuckle bone which they have had before), they also have been given raw femur/marrow bones.

My 2 retrievers are aggressive chewers, Sadey who just turned 7, she has a bad tooth now.
I check their teeth after EVERY chew/bone to make sure no damage!

You can see in the photo, there is a top piece attached to the gum/top of tooth(has a tiny bit of tartar on it), itā€™s just hanging there attached still, if I touch or move it it moves, but her tooth looks damaged.

Is this tooth broken???

Should I stop giving raw bones???(thatā€™s the only chew they get), and she has kidney disease but no other health issues(she is the healthiest of all our dogs- the only dog with no allergies).

Will it get infected?
Please let me know your thoughts on what it looks like(broken or not), and should we have a vet check it?

Have you seen this with raw bones?

Please, any advice or what it looks like and if it will get infected? What are the signs of it being infected(if it does get infected), we will be watching it!
1675753747027.jpeg

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Idk what to say but never had any dogs in my lifetime chipped or broke a tooth with a bone. Me on the other hand did šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļøā€¦I personally wouldnā€™t stop giving bones. It actually helps keep teeth strong n your dog just turned 7 thatā€™s not old enough to lose teeth. Btw is she on meds for her kidneys? Some Meds can weaken bones.

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Idk what to say but never had any dogs in my lifetime chipped or broke a tooth with a bone. Me on the other hand did šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļøā€¦I personally wouldnā€™t stop giving bones. It actually helps keep teeth strong n your dog just turned 7 thatā€™s not old enough to lose teeth. Btw is she on meds for her kidneys? Some Meds can weaken bones.

No none of my dogs are on any meds from the vet.

Sadey and Luna are on Pet Well-being Kidney Support Gold which is a kidney supplement to keep the kidneys healthy, holistic vet formulated, no side effects. They have been on it since they were diagnosed with kidney disease and itā€™s made their symptoms of the kidney disease NON-existent and their bloodwork shows kidneys are doing good, because of the good diet and supplements.

You know me, same as you, I do NOT like to do any meds for the dogs, natural is what I prefer, not chemicals.

Does this looked like a broken tooth??

I asked my neighbour/friend who is a vet(but NOT the vet we go to), she said itā€™s a slab fracture from the photo but isnā€™t 100% sure!

I donā€™t want her in any pain or to get a infection, but I want to avoid putting her under anesthesia cause of her kidney disease.

Do you know anything thatā€™s good/helpful for Slab Fractures in dog teeth???

Does this look like a ā€˜Brokenā€™ tooth to you??

I havenā€™t seen anything like this, and I have had many dogs in the last, non of which has had this before, and same with that growth in the other thread!!

Iā€™m almost wanting to stop giving bones to them, but thatā€™s the only chew other than cow ears they can have.

Can this happen with Cow ears too??

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
The photo and from your description of it moving, it certainly seems broken.

My understanding is broken teeth on bones, antlers, etc is common... But, I would have a vet you trust assess the tooth. Oral health affects the whole body

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Looks like a cusp has broken away...as in 1/3 of the tooth. There's not much that can be done other than removal if it's causing pain or develops a cavity. If painful your pup will not chew with it. Might be time to switch to the softer Nylabones that have a little give to them. Aggressive chewers are always at risk of tooth damage

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
The photo and from your description of it moving, it certainly seems broken.

My understanding is broken teeth on bones, antlers, etc is common... But, I would have a vet you trust assess the tooth. Oral health affects the whole body
I can move the top piece, but the tooth itself I canā€™t move.

Their teeth have been clean(very minimal if any tartar).
I completely understand that oral health effects the whole body.

I will likely make a appointment for Sadey, probably when we get the lump checked.

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Looks like a cusp has broken away...as in 1/3 of the tooth. There's not much that can be done other than removal if it's causing pain or develops a cavity. If painful your pup will not chew with it. Might be time to switch to the softer Nylabones that have a little give to them. Aggressive chewers are always at risk of tooth damage
Ohh, so is it considered broken then?

She doesnā€™t seem to be in pain, I donā€™t want her to be in pain either, I will keep a close eye on it and when we take her in for the lump check, I will get them to check the tooth at the same time.

Arenā€™t Nylabones made of plastic? Or is the soft nylabones different, we used to give them nylabones as puppies but they were constantly breaking pieces off and I read itā€™s made from plastic, so we were told not to give them anymore.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
@Bulldog2001 ā€¦ā€¦.hmmm my steer in the field is missing part of his ear. šŸ˜

I did not know they sell cow ears. Heard of pig ears but not cow. Go figure.

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
@Bulldog2001 ā€¦ā€¦.hmmm my steer in the field is missing part of his ear. šŸ˜

I did not know they sell cow ears. Heard of pig ears but not cow. Go figure.

Yes air dried Cow Ears are less processed than pig ears, and my dogs love them!

Would that also cause broken teeth or slab fractures??

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Ears are more on the cartilage side. Doubt it.

I know thatā€™s why I wasnā€™t sure if there is still a chance of a cow ear potential to cause a broken/fractured tooth, but they are fairy soft cartilage chew.

Is there something I should put on her tooth? Or does it look like it should be pulled?

The rest of the marrow bones I have left in freezer from Rustyā€™s small bones, I have and will be using them up to put just the marrow into his Kong and probably wonā€™t be giving them raw bones anymore.

Last edited:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I know thatā€™s why I wasnā€™t sure if there is still a chance of a cow ear potential to cause a broken/fractured tooth, but they are fairy soft cartilage chew.

Is there something I should put on her tooth? Or does it look like it should be pulled?

The rest of the marrow bones I have left in freezer from Rustyā€™s small bones, I have and will be using them up to put just the marrow into his Kong and probably wonā€™t be giving them raw bones anymore.
if It doesnā€™t move at all, no. If itā€™s loose or dangling you might want to try to pull on it.

Last yr or so Nyala lost all four top teeth within her K9s. Miss Muffet decided to bite Jake whoā€™s built like a wall, and he basically turned around n walked away loosening all 4 of them. I went to the vet n he just said wait another couple weeks. If they havenā€™t fallen heā€™ll remove them. I did go back get them removed properly n stitched. šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
if It doesnā€™t move at all, no. If itā€™s loose or dangling you might want to try to pull on it.

Last yr or so Nyala lost all four top teeth within her K9s. Miss Muffet decided to bite Jake whoā€™s built like a wall, and he basically turned around n walked away loosening all 4 of them. I went to the vet n he just said wait another couple weeks. If they havenā€™t fallen heā€™ll remove them. I did go back get them removed properly n stitched. šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø
Well, the tooth itself I havenā€™t tried to move, but the top piece is attached to something below the gumline and I donā€™t want her in pain when in move it to check.

The sedation/anesthesia is extra risky cause her kidney disease, but if she gets a tooth infection taht can negatively affect her kidneys too, I will take her in for the vet to remove the growth on her stomach area, and check her tooth, and see what she says.

Thatā€™s crazy she but Jake, Poor Jake!

She mustā€™ve bit him real hard to lose those teeth!

Members online

No members online now.