Rescue bulldog

GailM

Jul 3, 2023
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bluto
My daughter and boyfriend rescued a 1-1 1/2 year old bulldog named Bluto from Chinese meat market. He is so good except that he is obviously not house trained from spending most of his life confined to a cage. He does use pee pads at times and will pee outside but not poop. She has a crate for him but if left in it while they work he will use it as his bathroom. They have 2 other dogs and they are trained but they are having a difficult time with Bluto. Please advise.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Bluto has probably been in a cage all his life. Peeing and pooping in cage was a norm for him. He can be taught otherwise, but it will take a while and a lot of dedication, especially since he is older(not a pup). He can not be expected to stay clean,if left in a cage all day. They need to find/hire someone to take him out at least twice a day.
Also, I would bring a sample of his poop outside, so he can smell that area. Training him can be done-but it won't be easy! Dedication is the word!(y)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yep -- Lynn has you covered... @Manydogs knows her stuff with potty training!!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
HAha! I have trained more dogs than you are old(young!) Even 4 for my sister! I love dogs and:love: training dogs.

Members online

No members online now.