Idiopathic head tremors

Epc2188

Jun 27, 2020
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
Hey guys.. so my watson just turned 7 and is in great health. He had a head tremor about 2 years ago at night coincidentally right after giving him some eye medicine for his entropion surgery. Nothing since until yesterday and today while driving in car. Only lasted a minute. Coincidentally I just started giving him turmeric chews about 3-4 days ago to help with joints as a preventative measure. Possible itā€™s the turmeric chews?

Attachments

• 08D5FE7A-EAA5-4578-BEF2-5B7AF06204A7.jpeg
    08D5FE7A-EAA5-4578-BEF2-5B7AF06204A7.jpeg
    718.3 KB · Views: 65
  • BAE8F84A-AA89-4347-841F-800B01D8A1A3.jpeg
    BAE8F84A-AA89-4347-841F-800B01D8A1A3.jpeg
    792.1 KB · Views: 62

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I give all 3 of my dogs turmeric paste with no issues. My Frenchie gets the idiopathic head tremors every now and then but itā€™s never been a big deal. I know they can get them with no cause.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Hey guys.. so my watson just turned 7 and is in great health. He had a head tremor about 2 years ago at night coincidentally right after giving him some eye medicine for his entropion surgery. Nothing since until yesterday and today while driving in car. Only lasted a minute. Coincidentally I just started giving him turmeric chews about 3-4 days ago to help with joints as a preventative measure. Possible itā€™s the turmeric chews?

Does he have any allergies???
Maybe he is allergic to the ingredients in the chews? Only reason I ask is because my dog also has idiopathic head tremors, which I have been keeping track of them, and he only gets the head tremors when he is going thru a allergy flare?
thatā€™s the only time my dog gets a head tremor is from a allergy flare.
Iā€™m not saying allergies is the issue, every dog is different and some dogs get them for no known reason, but I would keep track of when he gets them and what he has had recently.

I always try to get it to end, by saying ā€˜where is your toyā€™ and he looks at me and it stops.

Green lipped mussel powder( I use Thrive brand-if your in Canada), and itā€™s a great preventative and maintenance, one of my other dogs has severe arthritis and she shows no signs of arthritis cause of the green lipped mussels(itā€™s a whole food source which is much better absorbed than just added synthetic).

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Does he have any allergies???
Maybe he is allergic to the ingredients in the chews? Only reason I ask is because my dog also has idiopathic head tremors, which I have been keeping track of them, and he only gets the head tremors when he is going thru a allergy flare?
thatā€™s the only time my dog gets a head tremor is from a allergy flare.
Iā€™m not saying allergies is the issue, every dog is different and some dogs get them for no known reason, but I would keep track of when he gets them and what he has had recently.

I always try to get it to end, by saying ā€˜where is your toyā€™ and he looks at me and it stops.

Green lipped mussel powder( I use Thrive brand-if your in Canada), and itā€™s a great preventative and maintenance, one of my other dogs has severe arthritis and she shows no signs of arthritis cause of the green lipped mussels(itā€™s a whole food source which is much better absorbed than just added synthetic).
Green lipped mussel is also absolutely fantastic for humans. I use it n there is a big improvement in joints. Oil base is better. Btw, you can use the human one for your dog n it will cost you way less than the one for dogs. Same ingredient in both. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Green lipped mussel is also absolutely fantastic for humans. I use it n there is a big improvement in joints. Oil base is better. Btw, you can use the human one for your dog n it will cost you way less than the one for dogs. Same ingredient in both. Just a thought.

I give my dog Thrive Green lipped mussel Powder, i am giving ā€˜Safe Seaā€™ from four leaf rover 5 times a weeks(the days he doesnā€™t have fish In his diet).

Which Green lipped mussel oil do you take??? Just curious, Iā€™m in Canada.

OP
E

Epc2188

Jun 27, 2020
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
We are in the middle of moving which is coinciding with when he started to get themā€¦. The other time in the past was post surgery.. maybe itā€™s a stress thing

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
We are in the middle of moving which is coinciding with when he started to get themā€¦. The other time in the past was post surgery.. maybe itā€™s a stress thing

What do you feed him???

Food has a lot to do with the head tremors, since switching foods, no more head tremors for my dog.

OP
E

Epc2188

Jun 27, 2020
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
Zignature goatā€¦ heā€™s been on since a pup. Raw tough to find where I live (eastern Long Island)

Scott Wooledge

May 15, 2016
Itā€™s possible itā€™s the chews or a coincidence. My last dog had occasional tremors and when I researched they are common and mostly idiopathic. He had them rarely (once or twice a year) so I didnā€™t stress. They didnā€™t seem to bother him.

If it were me and I thought the tumeric chews are healthful and I wanted him to have them, I would continue them until (or if) tremors recur. If they do not recur it wasnā€™t the chews. If they do, it probably is, then stop them.

Dfoiles

Aug 5, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Kona
My almost 4yo female started to get them about 4 mo ago. At the time we were doing a remodel as well as an issue with another dog we were taking care of at the time. I reached out on social media and had numerous suggestions/ causes etc. i personally couldnā€™t find a link as to why it was happening when it was happening. I can say I did start substituting some plain Greek yogurt in her diet and they have for the most pasty subsided, or if she gets them she is a lot easier to snap out and it is for way less time. Also I heard a lot about some of the flea and tick medicines out there and some ingredients causing them- Kona happened to be on one of those as well and we have not given it to her since. Could be a coincidence but Iā€™ll take the run for now. Itā€™s scaryā€¦ but knowing others have it too and itā€™s harmless makes me feel better. Good luck!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
There is no root cause known for the idiopathic tremors, that I have read or heard, but the only thing I know helps is to distract them with treats. Small trays to get them chewing helps best for Lambeau

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
There is no link between food and idiopathic head tremors.

Actually Yes, in my experience there is.

My dog was allergic to an ingredient in the dog food, and he had head tremors DAILY and about 5-7 every day, not just 1 and they were the worst during a allergy flare up.

As soon as I improved his diet, head tremors were 1 every 2 weeks(again more like during allergy flare), then my dog got picky and I had to put him on something else(raw diet now) which he has been on for 14 weeks, ONLY 1 head tremor since and that was only during a allergy flare to environmental allergy.

So we went from 5-7 head tremors(my vet call it Idiopathic head tremors), so 5-7 head tremors DAILY which was from April of last year and all the way to August of last year, every day 5-7 per day. Once I switched his food to a higher quality diet, they are non existent basically.

Also, even without allergies, head tremors and any health issue can be improved thru good diet, the better the diet the better the health of the dog.

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.