Idiopathic Head Tremors (Head Bobbing) Who's Bulldog has had them?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
All, please keep in mind... the reason they are deemed idiopathic is because there has been no root cause identified for them occurring. We can be concerned, yes, and hope to find a trigger, but the vet community has not be able to pinpoint what the real root cause of these tremors are. We can watch for common things to happen prior to the tremor but we as humans may never know the real reason for these tremors.... heck, it could be because their head is so heavy, allergies, breathing struggles, food, treatments... anything. all we can do as great parents to these wonderful creatures is address it as we see it.... give them love a treat of some type to distract the muscles.... and pray they stop all together.

I am NOT judging or preaching just trying to help us all not be as stressed when we can't find the reason.

Peppaā€™s mom

Sep 28, 2021
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Peppa
Hi all - I wanted to post an update. Sorry for the long post.

The vet called tonight. Simparica reviewed Peppaā€™s case and video. While they will not admit the drug caused her tremors, they did say itā€™s possible since the drug is already known to cause neurological symptoms. Peppa has not had an episode since her last dose wore off. The vet will not recommend Nexguard since itā€™s the same drug class family as simparica and has the same neurological warnings. He did mention we could try Advantix topical next warm season. He mentioned frontline was showing positive reviews but is not available in Canada.

Peppa will spend a week in the ā€œcountryā€ end of October, so the vet said to bring her in 6 weeks after that for a blood test to check for heartworm and any tick bite disease. He said the risk of her contracting anything was very low end of October in Montreal area.

Iā€™m think Iā€™m done with meds for Peppa. EBs seem so sensitive to everything and knowing sheā€™s not a wildness dog I donā€™t feel itā€™s worth the risk. We do maybe 3-4 big nature walks per year. Sheā€™s a city dog and the vet said fresh cut grass is not risky for ticks.

@helsonwheels would you mind reposting your essential oil recipe? Does it work for both ticks and mosquitos? Iā€™d appreciate any holistic tips you can share for the ongoing care and maintenance of my baby girl. I recall you and @2BullyMama shared great advice to me last year about hot spots - since then Peppa gets sauerkraut and raw marrow bones and she had almost no seasonal allergies this year! Appreciate anything you are willing to share.
This site has been a life saver for my peace of mind with my first bully baby. Thanks for everything!

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
@helsonwheels would you mind reposting your essential oil recipe? Does it work for both ticks and mosquitos?
Its right over here :)
All sorts of homemade sprays you can do. I got a new one which isā€¦ā€¦.

Natural Fly Spray with Olive Oil & Soap​

Be sure to store the fly spray in a cool dark place because it contains essential oils.

• 4 cups apple cider vinegar
  • 15 drops Lavender
  • 15 drops Peppermint
  • 15 drops Eucalyptus
  • 2 tablespoons Olive Oil (you can use another carrier oil)
  • A splash of dish soap like Dawn
Orā€¦.

1 cup of Witch Hazel
10 drops of each : peppermint, lavender, lemongrass

What I always do on the dogā€™s collars I add a few drops of lavender. Keeps ticks/mosquitoes away.

Btwā€¦.Apple cider vinegar keeps a coat clean, fresh and shiny.

chauncey_pancakes

Apr 20, 2022
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Chauncey
My dog was experiencing these around age 3-4. We have had no issues with simparica or trio. We were told in the past they could be a neurological issue or diet issue. We've tried many different brands and settled on a fresh food one that seemed to help. More recently he was also diagnosed with heart disease which also could have contributed to this. Not sure but might be worth looking into.

ladywebb

Feb 12, 2021
Midwest
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert
Gilbert started having this issue this summer all of a sudden. The only new thing we had given him was a benebone wishbone (chicken flavor). Took the chew away and they stopped. The benebone definitely got thrown away and the tremors have not been back (knock on wood). He usually gets raw marrow bones or anters/horns.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi all - I wanted to post an update. Sorry for the long post.

The vet called tonight. Simparica reviewed Peppaā€™s case and video. While they will not admit the drug caused her tremors, they did say itā€™s possible since the drug is already known to cause neurological symptoms. Peppa has not had an episode since her last dose wore off. The vet will not recommend Nexguard since itā€™s the same drug class family as simparica and has the same neurological warnings. He did mention we could try Advantix topical next warm season. He mentioned frontline was showing positive reviews but is not available in Canada.

Peppa will spend a week in the ā€œcountryā€ end of October, so the vet said to bring her in 6 weeks after that for a blood test to check for heartworm and any tick bite disease. He said the risk of her contracting anything was very low end of October in Montreal area.

Iā€™m think Iā€™m done with meds for Peppa. EBs seem so sensitive to everything and knowing sheā€™s not a wildness dog I donā€™t feel itā€™s worth the risk. We do maybe 3-4 big nature walks per year. Sheā€™s a city dog and the vet said fresh cut grass is not risky for ticks.

@helsonwheels would you mind reposting your essential oil recipe? Does it work for both ticks and mosquitos? Iā€™d appreciate any holistic tips you can share for the ongoing care and maintenance of my baby girl. I recall you and @2BullyMama shared great advice to me last year about hot spots - since then Peppa gets sauerkraut and raw marrow bones and she had almost no seasonal allergies this year! Appreciate anything you are willing to share.
This site has been a life saver for my peace of mind with my first bully baby. Thanks for everything!

Geez did I miss something šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø So sorry

Members online

No members online now.