SidNBear

Apr 11, 2021
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Hey Hi Hello!
It has been so long dear friends! Me and my Bear boy are still here going strong! We have been so busy with life, this and that. I hope everyone is well and I've missed so many of you! Bear is doing amazing as always, he turned 3 this February and had a great party. Seeing him healthy and happy and 3 means the world to me given what he's been through. Anyway last Tuesday bear had his first surgery! He had entropion in both eyes in both lids so we went ahead and had it done! He's been recovering quite quickly- which is why I'm here for advice. As his sutures (dissolving) are healing his eye area has gotten more and more itchy to the point where he has been using his cone to press against objects and rub his eyes when we aren't looking. We are terrified of him ripping something but he just doesn't seem to care (shocking). I'm curious if anyone else has dealt with this and what they have done to alleviate the itching. I messaged my vet and asked if I should bring him in to check and maybe get something prescribed but I'm not sure what. He's scheduled for his follow up next Wednesday but we all know I love dragging his butt to the vet for anything lol. Thank you for any and all input!!
Here are some pics of the handsome man himself

I included him in his Halloween costume and him a few days ago after his surgery!! She really kept his big puppy eyes and I love it 🥰

Attachments

• IMG_3882.jpeg
    IMG_3882.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7113.jpeg
    IMG_7113.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8345.jpeg
    IMG_8345.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9151.jpeg
    IMG_9151.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9457.jpeg
    IMG_9457.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Did the Vet give you any ointment to apply to his eyes post op? If so, make sure you use it at least as often as prescribed. Let your Vet know what's going on and ask if it would be OK to apply Vaseline around the eye lids. It should NOT BE harmful if you get it into his eyes. At 6 days post op, most of the healing is done. However, that last 10-20% of the healing can a couple more weeks. Itching means healing...keep that cone in place.
GL!

OP
SidNBear

SidNBear

Apr 11, 2021
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Did the Vet give you any ointment to apply to his eyes post op? If so, make sure you use it at least as often as prescribed. Let your Vet know what's going on and ask if it would be OK to apply Vaseline around the eye lids. It should NOT BE harmful if you get it into his eyes. At 6 days post op, most of the healing is done. However, that last 10-20% of the healing can a couple more weeks. Itching means healing...keep that cone in place.
GL!
I took him in today! My vet said his eyes look great she did a fluorescein test and confirmed the stitches haven't bothered his eyes... she thinks seasonal allergies are to blame, he's already on apquel but the pollen is so bad in Texas right now it's making everything work in overtime, poor guy was rubbing his eyes raw. He got an antibiotic for the mild skin infection he gave himself rubbing his rope raw and a round of steroids to calm the swelling from the allergies. They were getting to the point of making his eyes roll in again. They were able to wash all the gunk out of his eyes and he is currently asleep at my feet. I'm always so glad to take him in!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
@SidNBear I saw on the news Texas is having massive fires, can it be the smoke? Last yr here in Alberta we also had massive fires. Depending of the direction of the winds, we would have the smoke n smells from 6hrs from us. Even the fires from British Colombia the province west of us, we got their smoke. Smoke lingers. It definitely does irritate eyes n lungs. Just a thought.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So glad he is healing up..... he looks fantastic

Sundae Girl

Mar 18, 2024
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sundae
Hi,

Did Bear have a repeated occurrence with ulcers that required the entropion surgery?

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Hey Hi Hello!
It has been so long dear friends! Me and my Bear boy are still here going strong! We have been so busy with life, this and that. I hope everyone is well and I've missed so many of you! Bear is doing amazing as always, he turned 3 this February and had a great party. Seeing him healthy and happy and 3 means the world to me given what he's been through. Anyway last Tuesday bear had his first surgery! He had entropion in both eyes in both lids so we went ahead and had it done! He's been recovering quite quickly- which is why I'm here for advice. As his sutures (dissolving) are healing his eye area has gotten more and more itchy to the point where he has been using his cone to press against objects and rub his eyes when we aren't looking. We are terrified of him ripping something but he just doesn't seem to care (shocking). I'm curious if anyone else has dealt with this and what they have done to alleviate the itching. I messaged my vet and asked if I should bring him in to check and maybe get something prescribed but I'm not sure what. He's scheduled for his follow up next Wednesday but we all know I love dragging his butt to the vet for anything lol. Thank you for any and all input!!
Here are some pics of the handsome man himself

I included him in his Halloween costume and him a few days ago after his surgery!! She really kept his big puppy eyes and I love it 🥰
So Great to hear from you and Bear, I love him with his Goggles and Suit on, Hope he is still healing up nicely.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Hi,

Did Bear have a repeated occurrence with ulcers that required the entropion surgery?
Sundae Girl, if you hit the "REPLY" button at the bottom right of a member's message, they will get a notification of your reply to them. Better still, click on their name and "start a conversation". I hope this helps.

Members online

No members online now.