FAQ: What do you feed your bulldog?

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Port Townsend, Washington, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charley, a 5 year old male
I read somewhere in the new Kentucky Plant someone's dog got sick from tne American plant. Hang on let me gomlook for the post

Charley has been on the American version of Acana duck & pear for a couple of months now. So far he is doing quite well. Thankfully, no ear issues, no tummy aches so no hyper-salivation. His coat is feeling softer too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Shawna Murdockan hour agoThe new Acana from the plant in Kentucky instead of Canada made my dog super ill. Also read online many people complaining of the new formula from the new plant making their dogs ill. Received one reply to my comment from a lady whose dog died of liver failure 3 weeks after the new Acana formula. I included the screen shot of her post as I believe people need to know this ! Click the VIEW button and read her post........
Shawna Murdockan hour agoThe new Acana from the plant in Kentucky instead of Canada made my dog super ill. Also read online many people complaining of the new formula from the new plant making their dogs ill. Received one reply to my comment from a lady whose dog died of liver failure 3 weeks after the new Acana formula. I included the screen shot of her post as I believe people need to know this ! Click the VIEW button and read her post.*Hide

View attachment 101144

Ive been very business with a company in food industry I own and I also cook for Nyala. Days I have to bring Nyala to my sons to babysit so shes not 12 hours on her own. Im thinking putting her on Acana but from Canada only 2 x a week when im gone with ACV in her water so she doesn't get crystal in her urine again. Acana is owned by Champion who also makes Orijen which I adore and made here in Alberta. Its a Canadian company. I would stick to the Canadian plant for sure. But thats me.

We can't buy Acana from Canada here in Washington state. We're probably on the 4th big bag of the new formula and charley is still doing fine!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
We can't buy Acana from Canada here in Washington state. We're probably on the 4th big bag of the new formula and charley is still doing fine!

Great if Charley is doing fine on it. No need to change for sure :2thumbs:

karmasworld

Jan 6, 2014
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Karma and Diamond
I've read that there are knock offs of Acana that are being sold(maybe Kentucky)?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

karmasworld

Jan 6, 2014
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Karma and Diamond
Also, the knock off that is being sold doesnt smell as strong as the real original...Has anyone checked in to this to see if this is for sure a Acana dog food..even though it is labled as so.?.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Also, the knock off that is being sold doesnt smell as strong as the real original...Has anyone checked in to this to see if this is for sure a Acana dog food..even though it is labled as so.?.

Wow.. really?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

The bags I buy have quite a strong smell. Sad that someone might be selling a knock off!

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
So,…I've read quite a bit about owners having issues w/Acana lately. I don't feed this food, so I haven't looked too extensively into this…but did find this
"With the launch of the Kentucky facility, US customers will no longer have access to any of the Canadian made food; we’ll only have access to foods being produced out of Kentucky. This is because ALL of the current lines of Acana and Orijen will be modified by using regionally sourced ingredients around the Kentucky facility which are different from those in Alberta. For example, instead of wild-caught Pacific fish, they’re now using wild-caught Great Lake fish or wild-caught North Atlantic fish. Again, this means we will see a complete re-formulation of every single Acana and Orijen bag of food in the US.
[FONT=Open Sans, Helvetica, Arial, Lucida, sans-serif]Looking at the new formulas, we don’t believe there’s anything to worry about with the changes. They’re still the great, high-quality, high-protein foods that you’re used to with the Canadian made formulas. However, we understand your concerns and are here to answer any questions you may have about sourcing, labels, or any other concerns. Please contact the shop with any questions or concerns you have and we’ll be happy to help you!"[/FONT]
from here…http://www.stpetersbark.com/2016/02/19/changes-to-champion-food-with-the-new-kentucky-facility/

Has anyone e-mailed or called Champion?

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
So,…I've read quite a bit about owners having issues w/Acana lately. I don't feed this food, so I haven't looked too extensively into this…but did find this
"With the launch of the Kentucky facility, US customers will no longer have access to any of the Canadian made food; we’ll only have access to foods being produced out of Kentucky. This is because ALL of the current lines of Acana and Orijen will be modified by using regionally sourced ingredients around the Kentucky facility which are different from those in Alberta. For example, instead of wild-caught Pacific fish, they’re now using wild-caught Great Lake fish or wild-caught North Atlantic fish. Again, this means we will see a complete re-formulation of every single Acana and Orijen bag of food in the US.
[FONT=Open Sans, Helvetica, Arial, Lucida, sans-serif]Looking at the new formulas, we don’t believe there’s anything to worry about with the changes. They’re still the great, high-quality, high-protein foods that you’re used to with the Canadian made formulas. However, we understand your concerns and are here to answer any questions you may have about sourcing, labels, or any other concerns. Please contact the shop with any questions or concerns you have and we’ll be happy to help you!"[/FONT]
from here…http://www.stpetersbark.com/2016/02/19/changes-to-champion-food-with-the-new-kentucky-facility/

Has anyone e-mailed or called Champion?

I did, but they assured me they were keeping their high standards. I really was initially concerned about the change, but am happy with the result -- a healthy dog! I hope others experience this too.

karmasworld

Jan 6, 2014
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Karma and Diamond
e03e512d9662116af49a002e33f7d8b2.jpg
61d0eac6cba2e4649bfa8202885c806c.jpg
deb6f2fadb8b3f364b0c986345ac6202.jpg

Found a few bad and mayb 1 explaination

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
25bccf531534f50bb9a154f86e7c6fae.jpg

Ok.... im going to say something and probably get "sh*t" for it. But heh, I speak my mine! Why on earth would ANYONE buy counterfeit dog food. Like why risk your dog/pet to save a few bucks? Im am NOT saying everything that comes out of China is bad or other countries either. But to save a few dollars and risk your pet's life? Ok my 2 cents. Ohhhhh one more thing... I have a rule....buy you food in pet shops or local shops. Like that if there is a recall it will be removed from the shelves and hopefully you get a phone call or an email from dog advisor. Hmmm

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online