Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Poor guy! Yup- definitely cherry eye. My boys left side had s cherry that wouldn't go back in with massages. After 2 failed tacks, we ended up removing it. It's been about 1 1/2 yrs and no dry eye issues. His right side would pop out here and there, but we are able to massage it back. If at any point it won't go back in- I'll just take him in to get it removed. I'll include pics of him with cherry eye and after surgery.

f2c4f395ac6812ecb653f896c7ef2b92.jpg

Picking him up after removal surgery (just found these, so I'm adding them late):

061b565a593da726411b1d6c8fd93b27.jpg

e544abae6cae91718bef93bee2b11dec.jpg

Right after surgery:

5931430c5db16a13bfab1dd54af9b1f1.jpg

Now:

c08cefc9bc87c4e5c401691ae2fe214a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beautiful family you have:) And [MENTION=17037]Pugaboo[/MENTION], i wondered too about how to massage back..hope we get an answer :)

Florida girls

Feb 3, 2015
FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie Kae, Lady
That's interesting as far as the black occurring on the cherry eye..good to know and thanks for sharing the info.

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Hi everyone! Thank you for all of the advice. I took my baby to the vet this morning. The vet was a little bumfuzzled with his situation as well. He put eye stain in his eye to see if his cornea had been damaged in any way and it didn't show any external damage to the eye. His eye is still completely cloudy and his third eyelid and everything on the inside of his eye is really swollen and irritated. He said as far as he could tell that nothing was wrong with is eye. He believes something just got into his eye and has irritated the cherry eye (which is why it has swollen to double its size and taken over Wrangler's eye) and also severely irritated his cornea (which is causing it to be severely cloudy). He gave me some eye drops to give him twice a day everyday until I take him back for a second look on Wednesday! If it is not better by or before Wednesday, he is going to look at other options!

Also, the black on his cherry eye he said is normal. When an internal gland is exposed to sunlight it creates a pigment (like when people tan) to protect the skin. Its actual his body protecting the gland. He said it's the same thing that happens when a dogs tongue starts turning black from exposure to the sun! Who Knew?!?!

I will keep everyone updated and thank you for the concern and all of the help!!!

Ellie and I have been following along, how is your baby's eye doing today??

We send our best!!

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Not meaning to hijack the thread but....

Josie has no signs of it YET, but if she does, how do I "massage" it back in?

I am hoping she doesn't develop it but I know with Bulldogs it's a high possibility. In fact I've already started saving for it as I haven't a clue how much the surgery is either and want to be prepared if I can so she doesn't suffer. Does anyone know the percentage of EBs that develop cherry eye?

Thanks everyone.

Terry

It's pretty common. But doesn't always happen to them all. It's kind of hard to explain how to massage it back. Basically take your thumb and under the eyelid, massage over the cherry as to try to get it back in. I watched some YouTube videos to be honest with you. It's not hard- you won't hurt them.

The cost depends - the tacks were each around $5-600 and when we finally removed, I want to say that was around $350. But some places donit much cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.