Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
you are so good and through with us which so clearly shows where your heart is. This has got to be tough :( I just don't know what i'd do at this point when so many things are beginning to surface. You will know, I don't know how, but you just do... Bless your heart and bring you peace during this time of figuring out what to do to help him. Thanks for updates. They hurt but they are helpful as well.

OP
Momma2Bullies

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Thank you! I really hope this can help someone down the road too...��

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi everyone,
I thought Iā€™d give an update on Wilburā€™s situation over the past month. His thirst and urination are insane - I am up every hour for him to get water and go outside. No one is getting any rest. He's also crazy hungry, wanting his breakfast by 5 am. That part has been tough. He is suffering from bad diarrhea and gas too, maybe a combination of all the water as well as the pred, I donā€™t know. I had to be out of town right after Thanksgiving (in Canada) and of course while I was away Wilby had a cluster of seizures, his first in over a year. So that was very upsetting. He is subdued and lethargic, and kind of clumsy (falling up the stairs or mid-judging where the couch is, things like that.
I had a blood work up on him this week, and unfortunately his white cells (specifically lymphocytes) are super high, higher than the initial test. His liver function is off the charts too. As a result, I had an abdominal ultrasound to see if there were any masses or issues and my vet said nothing appeared abnormal. Today I had a recheck with the neurologist and I reported all of this to him. He lowered Wilburā€™s pred to 20mg a day, Prilosec and phenobarbital stay the same. I am hoping that the lower dose of pred will help lower his liver values, but at the same time I donā€™t want the hydrocephalus to get out of control. The white blood cell count is a big concern. We are having a cancer panel done and flow cytometry to help pinpoint the cause. It is beyond the range of what youā€™d expect from a stress response. Wilbur also has a milk thistle extract and another drug to help support his liver function.

Not a very good time here, it is starting to look like the hydrocephalus is just the tip of the iceberg...
the bloodtests have to be sent to California so it will be a while before I get any results. Right now I am babying him and loving him and so scared. His sister Layla is always by his side. My sweet funny boy. He doesnā€™t seem to be in pain, and he does have spurts of being himself now and then. But heā€™s sick, I know heā€™s so so sick.

Iā€™ll keep you posted, thanks for reading.

He is in great hands with you... so much at once to address---- sending continued prayers and positive thoughts for your boy so hope you get some insight from the results. (Hugs)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Poor boy. Praying things improve for him and you. :hug:

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Just read this thread - we're thinking of Wilbur and you!

OP
Momma2Bullies

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Re: Adult Onset Hydrocephalus UPDATE

Hi again everyone,
An update about Wilbur: He is struggling and my heart is breaking. Even with the lower dose of prednisolone, he is still drinking and urinating like crazy, diarrhea hasn't improved either. He also has a slight tremor - I don't know how to describe it, it is similar to how the toy breeds shiver. It isn't vigorous but nonetheless it is there and it's new. As a result we've added gabapentin to his litany of medications to hopefully relieve any nerve pain he might be feeling.

However, the worst news is that my neurologist called last night with the test results from the flow cytometry and the TK1 panel: leukaemia. I am beyond devastated. I have no knowledge of how to treat this, or if chemo is even an option given Wilbur's hydrocephalus and his liver values (or if I should even go down that road). The neurologist will be hooking up with my vet (she is back from a trip on Monday) and we will go from there with a conversation. I won't let him suffer, or keep him around selfishly, and yet I don't want to give up on him either.

My priority right now is making sure he is as comfortable as possible, and spending every second with him. He has spurts of being himself, which gives me hope, but then he will lay in his bed and breathe shallowly, and his eyes seem strained. I can't help but feel that he is slipping away and I can barely type this through my tears.

thank you all for your thoughts

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=5605]Momma2Bullies[/MENTION] So sorry to hear this update. Was praying to hear better news. At some point, I am so sorry to say,you will have to decide what Wilbur would ask you for.
would he ask to be put through more pain and testing, or is he saying please just let me go? Sometimes they are just ready,and we are not. I know you will do what is best for Wilbur,which is not always the decision WE want. God be with you . Sit with Wilbur and talk to him about it,look in his eyes,and the answer will be there.:pray::pray2:

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Re: Adult Onset Hydrocephalus UPDATE

Hi again everyone,
An update about Wilbur: He is struggling and my heart is breaking. Even with the lower dose of prednisolone, he is still drinking and urinating like crazy, diarrhea hasn't improved either. He also has a slight tremor - I don't know how to describe it, it is similar to how the toy breeds shiver. It isn't vigorous but nonetheless it is there and it's new. As a result we've added gabapentin to his litany of medications to hopefully relieve any nerve pain he might be feeling.

However, the worst news is that my neurologist called last night with the test results from the flow cytometry and the TK1 panel: leukaemia. I am beyond devastated. I have no knowledge of how to treat this, or if chemo is even an option given Wilbur's hydrocephalus and his liver values (or if I should even go down that road). The neurologist will be hooking up with my vet (she is back from a trip on Monday) and we will go from there with a conversation. I won't let him suffer, or keep him around selfishly, and yet I don't want to give up on him either.

My priority right now is making sure he is as comfortable as possible, and spending every second with him. He has spurts of being himself, which gives me hope, but then he will lay in his bed and breathe shallowly, and his eyes seem strained. I can't help but feel that he is slipping away and I can barely type this through my tears.

thank you all for your thoughts

So devastating.... heart broken for you all. sending you hugs and prayers of support

OP
Momma2Bullies

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Hi there all,
I have an update on Wilbur. The test results came back as leukaemia (chronic b-cell type). I am just devastated.
After a few days of tears and discussions with my vet as well as my neurologist (since Wilbur first presented as a neurologic case, my neurologist will still be handling Wilbur and I don't need to go to an oncologist and have more tests, etc and I am grateful for that). Wilbur is not a candidate for aggressive chemotherapy (and I wouldn't want to put him through that either). After examining Wilbur's current quality of life, everyone involved has agreed that we are going to make him as comfortable as possible. He has a bad day (or morning or afternoon - and by bad I mean he is very tired and quiet) now and then, and his overall energy level is lower, but he is still eating, drinking, running, chewing his bones, playing with his sister, and being a goof. Once that balance changes, I will take a different course.
If I do nothing, he will deteriorate quickly and his leukemia will likely progress to the acute type, which is catastrophic (in terms of organ failure, possible sepsis, pain). I don't want that to happen - I want him to be comfortable as long as possible. The decision has been made to give him chlorambucil, which is a pill from the chemotherapy cocktail. It is an immunosuppressant and will hopefully decrease his white blood cell count to a more manageable level for his organs and keep him comfortable, for a couple of months or a couple of years. I will have follow up blood work in ten days to see if it is working. If it isn't, then that is a whole other conversation. I won't let him suffer.

Since this thread started due to his hydrocephalus, I wanted to let anyone who has to deal with this know that there is no indication that the leukemia and hydrocephalus are related. I made of point of asking since it seems so coincidental, but the vets tell me that there is no correlation. Wilbur is just a sick dog (and we have always struggled with his allergies etc.). I wanted to clarify that for future readers - hydrocephalus doesn't necessarily mean leukaemia.

Thanks everyone for reading. I am treasuring every moment I have left with my baby.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi there all,
I have an update on Wilbur. The test results came back as leukaemia (chronic b-cell type). I am just devastated.
After a few days of tears and discussions with my vet as well as my neurologist (since Wilbur first presented as a neurologic case, my neurologist will still be handling Wilbur and I don't need to go to an oncologist and have more tests, etc and I am grateful for that). Wilbur is not a candidate for aggressive chemotherapy (and I wouldn't want to put him through that either). After examining Wilbur's current quality of life, everyone involved has agreed that we are going to make him as comfortable as possible. He has a bad day (or morning or afternoon - and by bad I mean he is very tired and quiet) now and then, and his overall energy level is lower, but he is still eating, drinking, running, chewing his bones, playing with his sister, and being a goof. Once that balance changes, I will take a different course.
If I do nothing, he will deteriorate quickly and his leukemia will likely progress to the acute type, which is catastrophic (in terms of organ failure, possible sepsis, pain). I don't want that to happen - I want him to be comfortable as long as possible. The decision has been made to give him chlorambucil, which is a pill from the chemotherapy cocktail. It is an immunosuppressant and will hopefully decrease his white blood cell count to a more manageable level for his organs and keep him comfortable, for a couple of months or a couple of years. I will have follow up blood work in ten days to see if it is working. If it isn't, then that is a whole other conversation. I won't let him suffer.

Since this thread started due to his hydrocephalus, I wanted to let anyone who has to deal with this know that there is no indication that the leukemia and hydrocephalus are related. I made of point of asking since it seems so coincidental, but the vets tell me that there is no correlation. Wilbur is just a sick dog (and we have always struggled with his allergies etc.). I wanted to clarify that for future readers - hydrocephalus doesn't necessarily mean leukaemia.

Thanks everyone for reading. I am treasuring every moment I have left with my baby.

So heart broken for you.... you are doing right by him and you! Enjoy ever second and treat him like the king he is.
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] [MENTION=16884]Dollys Owner[/MENTION] -- any suggestions?

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
So sorry to hear about Wilbur having CLL. I don't have too much to add, other than protect yourself while handling the chlorambucil- wear double gloves if you need to give it in liquid form. It's better for you if you don't have to crush it up- it comes in 2 mg tablets which are kept in the refrigerator. I'm hoping Wilbur responds well and if he does you'll have him around for a long time !

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Also, you can't give Wilbur any live vaccines such as the core vaccine, intranasal bordetella, intranasal coronavirus and parainfluenza virus once he starts on the chlorambucil.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=5605]Momma2Bullies[/MENTION] ... ive read the whole thread. I see you did everything in your power to help Wilbur. It's like a roller coaster. I know I often repeat myself for some essential oil mixtures that really keeps health issues at bay. Im NOT a vet and by all means I wouldn't tell anyone to stop any meds. But....after reading all of this and you've tried everything and anything with what vets has given you. I personally would go the holistic approach especially at 6.5yr old. I wouldn't put Nyala or Duke through a roller coaster ride. BUT THAT'S ME!!! I would start immediately with:

Frankincense, Myrrh, Helichrysum, Turmeric, Piperine (black pepper), Cod liver oil Ginger

I would have one question, what do you feed Wilbur?

Add turmeric and black pepper in one meal and the other meal add Cod liver oil with the ginger.

Meal one....Start with a 1/4 teaspoon of tumeric n just a pinch of black pepper. Black pepper activates the tumeric to 100% instead of 50% without the black pepper.

Meal 2....Cod liver oil has more omega than fish oil because the oil is taken from the liver instead under the fish skin like fish oil is. Add again 1/4 teaspoon of ginger

Build your 1/4 teaspoon to 1/2 after a couple weeks. If a dogs is not use to spices start small. No need to go more than 1/2 teaspoons. And no need to go more than just a pinch of black pepper.

Mix 15 drops of Frankincense, 15 Myrrh and 10 Helichrysum with 2oz fractionated Coconut oil. Shake well!! Rub on the temples, forehead, behind the ears n neck. 2-3x a day. Make sure the last one is before bedtime.

That's what "I" would be doing.

OP
Momma2Bullies

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
So sorry to hear about Wilbur having CLL. I don't have too much to add, other than protect yourself while handling the chlorambucil- wear double gloves if you need to give it in liquid form. It's better for you if you don't have to crush it up- it comes in 2 mg tablets which are kept in the refrigerator. I'm hoping Wilbur responds well and if he does you'll have him around for a long time !
Totally - that is exactly what I'm doing. It's the tablets thank goodness.

OP
Momma2Bullies

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Also, you can't give Wilbur any live vaccines such as the core vaccine, intranasal bordetella, intranasal coronavirus and parainfluenza virus once he starts on the chlorambucil.
He was due for vaccines precisely when the hydrocephalus presented, and since he had to go on Prednisolone at that point both my vet and I agreed that he would get no vaccines for the time being...

- - - Updated - - -

@Momma2Bullies ... ive read the whole thread. I see you did everything in your power to help Wilbur. It's like a roller coaster. I know I often repeat myself for some essential oil mixtures that really keeps health issues at bay. Im NOT a vet and by all means I wouldn't tell anyone to stop any meds. But....after reading all of this and you've tried everything and anything with what vets has given you. I personally would go the holistic approach especially at 6.5yr old. I wouldn't put Nyala or Duke through a roller coaster ride. BUT THAT'S ME!!! I would start immediately with:

Frankincense, Myrrh, Helichrysum, Turmeric, Piperine (black pepper), Cod liver oil Ginger

I would have one question, what do you feed Wilbur?

Add turmeric and black pepper in one meal and the other meal add Cod liver oil with the ginger.

Meal one....Start with a 1/4 teaspoon of tumeric n just a pinch of black pepper. Black pepper activates the tumeric to 100% instead of 50% without the black pepper.

Meal 2....Cod liver oil has more omega than fish oil because the oil is taken from the liver instead under the fish skin like fish oil is. Add again 1/4 teaspoon of ginger

Build your 1/4 teaspoon to 1/2 after a couple weeks. If a dogs is not use to spices start small. No need to go more than 1/2 teaspoons. And no need to go more than just a pinch of black pepper.

Mix 15 drops of Frankincense, 15 Myrrh and 10 Helichrysum with 2oz fractionated Coconut oil. Shake well!! Rub on the temples, forehead, behind the ears n neck. 2-3x a day. Make sure the last one is before bedtime.

That's what "I" would be doing.
Thank you for this info, I haven't tried herbals but I have been looking into it....

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.