Vabulldog

Nov 11, 2015
Richmond, Va.
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Do most of you have neutered males?

Brutus has now hit 1 year old. I was wondering if most people with English Bulldogs neuter their male dogs and why?

Background: I have no behavioral issues. I can walk him anywhere without issues with other dogs. He doesn't dart out of our doors when we answer them for guests. He is good with guests. I don't do dog parks or have dogs over. I have a 6 foot privacy fence and Brutus is never away from us. I have no desire to get another dog and none of my close neighbors have one.

If it makes sense I'll do it, I don't want to get him neutered just because. I have always had males but usually got them from shelters so they were already neutered when I got them. What are good, valid reasons to have this procedure done in my case?

Last edited:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
As most here knows Iā€™m not for neutering n why Jake has a vasectomy. To this day I believe all dogs should keep their hormones going n for bone purpose too. My sonā€™s German Shepherd is nearly 7 same age as Jake n not neutered. Like you he never had any issues at all. If there was one of our female in heat, we kept her or him home. Some members donā€™t believe in not having dogs neutered n I totally respect that. But if you look in Europe, neutered isnā€™t a ā€œmustā€ do. Neutering is. Neutering is big on the Western side of the world. I got Jake at 2.5yrs old n he was a breeding dog why I didnā€™t want him on Nyala or the other female dogs in the family. I also never seen Jake go after any other dog but Nyala who was fixed yrs ago. She sits down or bites him to stay away. He learned fast to stay off of her yrs ago šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø

At the end of the day, up to the owner what feels right.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I use to believe it had to be done, but after years of reading o the topic, I think our next pups will not be altered unless already done when we get them or until an issue arises to warrant it. Like you we will not be doing dog parks or dog daycares.

This is a good article about it. you need to subscribe to the site, they send you a link so you can enter the article. it's all free.

Last edited:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I use to believe it had to be done, but after years of reading o the topic, I think our next pups will not be altered unless already done when we get them or until an issue arises to warrant it. Like you we will not be doing dog parks or dog daycares.

This is a good article about it. you need to subscribe to the site, they send you a link so you can enter the article. it's all free.

I just get the headline. Wonā€™t access the article .

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Members online

No members online now.