Flehmen Response

Vabulldog

Nov 11, 2015
Richmond, Va.
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
If you've never seen Flehmen Response in a dog it looks like this after he's smelt something "rich": Flehmen Response. This is NOT a seizure. It only happens after he has reaally smelt something and it does have a sexual component as it can be a response to pheromones. Most people don't even know dogs do this. Horses and cats and famous for their Flehmen Responses. Things that set him off are his bed, the liner for his crate, people, furniture. In and outside of our home which is kept pretty tidy.

My intact 1 year old English Bulldog has a mean Flehmen Response. He's a very sniffy dog in general. He typically shoves his nose into soft things and just inhales for long periods of times. Some of this seems like normal behavior like when I come home from work or greeting a guest. If you don't pay attention and notice that it's been too long you'll call him...no response. You'll call again and then you'll notice his jaws are going and his head muscles are as well.

He is on the schedule to be fixed. I am hoping this helps with this. Sniffing is a part of normal dog behavior. Have any of you dealt with Flehmen Response in your dogs? How did you curb it? Was it reduced/eliminated by being fixed?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
If you've never seen Flehmen Response in a dog it looks like this after he's smelt something "rich": Flehmen Response. This is NOT a seizure. It only happens after he has reaally smelt something and it does have a sexual component as it can be a response to pheromones. Most people don't even know dogs do this. Horses and cats and famous for their Flehmen Responses. Things that set him off are his bed, the liner for his crate, people, furniture. In and outside of our home which is kept pretty tidy.

My intact 1 year old English Bulldog has a mean Flehmen Response. He's a very sniffy dog in general. He typically shoves his nose into soft things and just inhales for long periods of times. Some of this seems like normal behavior like when I come home from work or greeting a guest. If you don't pay attention and notice that it's been too long you'll call him...no response. You'll call again and then you'll notice his jaws are going and his head muscles are as well.

He is on the schedule to be fixed. I am hoping this helps with this. Sniffing is a part of normal dog behavior. Have any of you dealt with Flehmen Response in your dogs? How did you curb it? Was it reduced/eliminated by being fixed?
Jake does that when he smell’s Nyala’s backside or when she just finished peeing. Sticks his nose in it n the mouth, nose movements kicks in. Both fixed. I just say, ”Jake Get Outta There” n he moves on.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
So during Ella's first heat, Louie started doing this after he was sniffing her (he is neutered) and I seriously thought he was having a seizure and then I put two and two together. I never knew there was a name for it. But other than one of my girls being in heat, he has otherwise never done it and neither has my Frenchie male who is also fixed.

OP
Vabulldog

Vabulldog

Nov 11, 2015
Richmond, Va.
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Jake does that when he smell’s Nyala’s backside or when she just finished peeing. Sticks his nose in it n the mouth, nose movements kicks in. Both fixed. I just say, ”Jake Get Outta There” n he moves on.
So, almost like a "leave it" command.

OP
Vabulldog

Vabulldog

Nov 11, 2015
Richmond, Va.
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
So during Ella's first heat, Louie started doing this after he was sniffing her (he is neutered) and I seriously thought he was having a seizure and then I put two and two together. I never knew there was a name for it. But other than one of my girls being in heat, he has otherwise never done it and neither has my Frenchie male who is also fixed.
Thanks for responding. Most people don't know this is a thing. My boy is a heavy sniffer. I'd want to curb it because the flehmen is tied to his overall sniffing. If I were a visitor and went to someone's house and their dog wouldn't stop smelling on me, I wouldn't like it. I get the hello sniff or the "you must be smelling my dog on me" sniff, but he's doing this deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep sniffing. Like nostrils pressed on the person and just inhaling until someone says when. I've started with an almost "leave it" command to get him to walk away. I was just curious what others have experienced.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
So, almost like a "leave it" command.
You simply need to snap them out of it. It’s like they fall into a little trance or a high. Usually the raise of your voice is enough, if not clap your hands with a “hey enough” Sometimes (rarely) I have to walk towards Jake with a quick poke on his side with my fingers. It’s a male thing even cows do it. 🤷🏼‍♀️ I wouldn’t poke the cow cause I might end up on the other side of the fence. 😁

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
Beth did this every time she smelt Millie when Mil was dealing with a long vaginal infection. Cool to have a name for it

Members online

No members online now.