Water

ReesieTheBully

May 15, 2024
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Reesie
This may be an odd question, but this is first dog I ever had (we have a goldie now and have owned 2 other bullies and several other breeds in my lifetime, and none were like this with water.) that all she wants to do is drink water. Reesie is 23 pounds at the moment and 4 months old. We give her 3 oz at breakfast, 3 at lunch and 3 at dinner, and some during the afternoon and she's still looking for more water. I know if she gets too much it'll make her sick. I know each dog is different, but what is the best amount of water to give her without making her sick? She does have an enflamed bladder and is on meds for that, however, she's been like this with water since we brought her home.

Yes, it's warm where I'm at, but she's in a house with central air and she sits on the vents and she's not walking around panting like she's hot or even thirsty, actually, she's panted once since we've had her.

Last edited:
3oz 3x a day? I would be looking for water too.

Question, why does she have an inflamed bladder? Like what did the vet say or diagnosed?

Sometimes meds makes them want to drink more, like with humans

3oz 3x a day? I would be looking for water too.

Question, why does she have an inflamed bladder? Like what did the vet say or diagnosed?

Sometimes meds makes them want to drink more, like with humans
we upped it.

we don't know and not sure what the cause was, not sure if she had it when we got her also. She's on meds for it

Panting does little to cool the body unless there is sufficient saliva to make the airway moist and create the cooling effect through evaporation. Panting with a dry mouth is pointless. I've never seen a Bulldog(any dog) drink their stomach full. They always leave room for FOOD. Some Bulldogs drink with tiny sips and end spilling more than they take in and taking forever to consume just a small amount. Others will submerse their whole face in the bowl and be done filling up in just a few seconds.
I recommend giving your pup as much water as it wants.
Dehydration dramatically increases the risk of urinary tract infection. So the limiting of water may have contributed to or caused the UTI.

we upped it.

we don't know and not sure what the cause was, not sure if she had it when we got her also. She's on meds for it
You should ask you vet questions. I’m NOT saying change vet or he/she is useless but, you definitely need to ask more questions n understand why the vet put her on meds. What are the med’s side effects etc.

For time being, I would be giving fermented food to build her gut flora n immune system. Meds destroys that. Example Sauerkraut in the fridge section couple tablespoons per day since she’s on meds. A 1/4 cup of Raw liver as a meal topper, raw marrow bones which keeps them business for a while building their immune system.

Attachments

• IMG_0529.jpeg
    IMG_0529.jpeg
    22.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0370.jpeg
    IMG_0370.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1209.jpeg
    IMG_1209.jpeg
    47 KB · Views: 5
We just got a 1 yr old Frenchie and he would drink the whole bowl the first week he was here…. Once he realized the bowl would always be there.. he stopped and just drinks when thirsty now

Millie use to gulp water until she puked. She rarely drinks now: I give the same amount of water as food by volume and then always have water available.

Example: Millie gets a cup of food for her meals, so she also gets a cup of hot water which I let soak in for 15+ minutes before feeding (room temperature and no more standing water)

This may be an odd question, but this is first dog I ever had (we have a goldie now and have owned 2 other bullies and several other breeds in my lifetime, and none were like this with water.) that all she wants to do is drink water. Reesie is 23 pounds at the moment and 4 months old. We give her 3 oz at breakfast, 3 at lunch and 3 at dinner, and some during the afternoon and she's still looking for more water. I know if she gets too much it'll make her sick. I know each dog is different, but what is the best amount of water to give her without making her sick? She does have an enflamed bladder and is on meds for that, however, she's been like this with water since we brought her home.

Yes, it's warm where I'm at, but she's in a house with central air and she sits on the vents and she's not walking around panting like she's hot or even thirsty, actually, she's panted once since we've had her.
Are you feeding kibble? Winston drinks tons of water when he eats dry food we switched him to homemade food most meals and he doesn’t drink much water at all. Dry food makes Wintz thirsty with a capital T.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back