Water

ReesieTheBully

May 15, 2024
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Reesie
This may be an odd question, but this is first dog I ever had (we have a goldie now and have owned 2 other bullies and several other breeds in my lifetime, and none were like this with water.) that all she wants to do is drink water. Reesie is 23 pounds at the moment and 4 months old. We give her 3 oz at breakfast, 3 at lunch and 3 at dinner, and some during the afternoon and she's still looking for more water. I know if she gets too much it'll make her sick. I know each dog is different, but what is the best amount of water to give her without making her sick? She does have an enflamed bladder and is on meds for that, however, she's been like this with water since we brought her home.

Yes, it's warm where I'm at, but she's in a house with central air and she sits on the vents and she's not walking around panting like she's hot or even thirsty, actually, she's panted once since we've had her.

Last edited:
3oz 3x a day? I would be looking for water too.

Question, why does she have an inflamed bladder? Like what did the vet say or diagnosed?

Sometimes meds makes them want to drink more, like with humans

3oz 3x a day? I would be looking for water too.

Question, why does she have an inflamed bladder? Like what did the vet say or diagnosed?

Sometimes meds makes them want to drink more, like with humans
we upped it.

we don't know and not sure what the cause was, not sure if she had it when we got her also. She's on meds for it

Panting does little to cool the body unless there is sufficient saliva to make the airway moist and create the cooling effect through evaporation. Panting with a dry mouth is pointless. I've never seen a Bulldog(any dog) drink their stomach full. They always leave room for FOOD. Some Bulldogs drink with tiny sips and end up spilling more than they take in and taking forever to consume just a small amount. Others will submerse their whole face in the bowl and be done filling up in just a few seconds.
I recommend giving your pup as much water as it wants.
Dehydration dramatically increases the risk of urinary tract infection. So the limiting of water may have contributed to or caused the UTI.

Last edited:
we upped it.

we don't know and not sure what the cause was, not sure if she had it when we got her also. She's on meds for it
You should ask you vet questions. Iā€™m NOT saying change vet or he/she is useless but, you definitely need to ask more questions n understand why the vet put her on meds. What are the medā€™s side effects etc.

For time being, I would be giving fermented food to build her gut flora n immune system. Meds destroys that. Example Sauerkraut in the fridge section couple tablespoons per day since sheā€™s on meds. A 1/4 cup of Raw liver as a meal topper, raw marrow bones which keeps them business for a while building their immune system.

Attachments

• IMG_0529.jpeg
    IMG_0529.jpeg
    22.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0370.jpeg
    IMG_0370.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1209.jpeg
    IMG_1209.jpeg
    47 KB · Views: 13
We just got a 1 yr old Frenchie and he would drink the whole bowl the first week he was hereā€¦. Once he realized the bowl would always be there.. he stopped and just drinks when thirsty now

Millie use to gulp water until she puked. She rarely drinks now: I give the same amount of water as food by volume and then always have water available.

Example: Millie gets a cup of food for her meals, so she also gets a cup of hot water which I let soak in for 15+ minutes before feeding (room temperature and no more standing water)

This may be an odd question, but this is first dog I ever had (we have a goldie now and have owned 2 other bullies and several other breeds in my lifetime, and none were like this with water.) that all she wants to do is drink water. Reesie is 23 pounds at the moment and 4 months old. We give her 3 oz at breakfast, 3 at lunch and 3 at dinner, and some during the afternoon and she's still looking for more water. I know if she gets too much it'll make her sick. I know each dog is different, but what is the best amount of water to give her without making her sick? She does have an enflamed bladder and is on meds for that, however, she's been like this with water since we brought her home.

Yes, it's warm where I'm at, but she's in a house with central air and she sits on the vents and she's not walking around panting like she's hot or even thirsty, actually, she's panted once since we've had her.
Are you feeding kibble? Winston drinks tons of water when he eats dry food we switched him to homemade food most meals and he doesnā€™t drink much water at all. Dry food makes Wintz thirsty with a capital T.

Hello!
Do you feel dry kibble?

My bulldogs used to drink water A LOT!!! When I switched to home cooked they hardly touch the bowls and the vets say this is completely normal. Kibble causes them to drink more since itā€™s so dry.

Homecooked foods have tons of water in it. I also add extra hot water inside of the bowl to warm it up ;)

Hello!
Do you feel dry kibble?

My bulldogs used to drink water A LOT!!! When I switched to home cooked they hardly touch the bowls and the vets say this is completely normal. Kibble causes them to drink more since itā€™s so dry.

Homecooked foods have tons of water in it. I also add extra hot water inside of the bowl to warm it up ;)
We do a mix of kibble, some fresh veggies, and we cook her some chicken and rice at times.

However, once we changed her water to bottled water (Poland Spring), she's not drinking as much, or even peeing as often as she once was.

We do a mix of kibble, some fresh veggies, and we cook her some chicken and rice at times.

However, once we changed her water to bottled water (Poland Spring), she's not drinking as much, or even peeing as often as she once was.
I thought I read, awhile ago, the Poland spring wasnā€™t really spring wAterā€¦ I could be wrong but maybe use the tap or your filtered refrigerator water and see how she does

I thought I read, awhile ago, the Poland spring wasnā€™t really spring wAterā€¦ I could be wrong but maybe use the tap or your filtered refrigerator water and see how she doe

She gets that from time to time as well, plus I have a natural spring near my house that we go to and fill up jugs for her and my sons Goldie She no longer drinks water from the tap. I haven't heard anything bad about Poland Spring other then it's from an actual spring

She gets that from time to time as well, plus I have a natural spring near my house that we go to and fill up jugs for her and my sons Goldie She no longer drinks water from the tap. I haven't heard anything bad about Poland Spring other then it's from an actual spring
That is awesome you have a natural so close

Canada has vey good drinking water out of taps but, you just canā€™t beat natural springs.

Well Cooper I am glad you asked that question. Bullies are messy. "C'Mon dad, I'm not that messy." Believe it or not you are, I will say you sniff out and eat the food after your meals. And you slobber your water and let the excess drool out of your mouth. It is even worse when you shake your head and sling that "stuff" all over the place.

Your food and water bowls are made of stainless steel and we clean and sanitize them daily. Stainless steel enables us to sterilize and scrub without compromising integrity of the material. "So is this the reason I have different water bowls?" Yes. Because you produce something called biofilm that has been linked to illness and even death. "What is bio-whatever Dad?" Biofilm is a collection of good and bad bacteria along with lots of inorganic microorganisms. This combination of living organisms settles on the bottom and sides of your water bowl, that creates a sticky, slimy film. Biofilm can appear in a wide variety of colors and designs, and itā€™s not something we don't want to see in your bowl. Not only does it create the perfect environment for dangerous bacteria like Listeria, E. coli, Legionella, and even Leptospirosis ā€“ it also makes you not want to drink your water. That is why Mom and Dad clean your bowls daily. "OK Dad, thanks for that chat and thank you for you and Mommy taking care of me. But, I will say I got the Deer In The Headlights look when you explained what bio-whatever." That's OK Coop. Just be a good boy and drink your water from a clean bowl.

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

Back