Puppy Shedding

SBbulldog

Jan 13, 2022
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Otto
Hi everyone, my 5 month old EB is shedding a lot, and Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s seasonal. Weā€™re in CA and donā€™t really have seasonsā€”it was 80Ā° on Monday, so Iā€™m not sure if heā€™s blowing his coat or if itā€™s something else. He is on Acana grain free red meat recipe currently and having no issuesā€”firm poops, no itching or licking. We tried the Acana grain free freshwater fish recipe, but it didnā€™t sit well with him, so weā€™re sticking to the red meat for now. I just began giving him coconut oil yesterday, so I will update on that, but the shedding just seems like a lot to me.

He did have some dandruff, but weā€™re hoping the coconut oil helps with thatā€¦ to be honest, we could have been bathing him too regularly.

I could just be over-worried, but Iā€™m not sure exactly how much shedding is too much. Does anyone have experience with this? Is he shedding his puppy coat and winter coat, and can that explain the large amount of shedding? Any help is appreciated!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi everyone, my 5 month old EB is shedding a lot, and Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s seasonal. Weā€™re in CA and donā€™t really have seasonsā€”it was 80Ā° on Monday, so Iā€™m not sure if heā€™s blowing his coat or if itā€™s something else. He is on Acana grain free red meat recipe currently and having no issuesā€”firm poops, no itching or licking. We tried the Acana grain free freshwater fish recipe, but it didnā€™t sit well with him, so weā€™re sticking to the red meat for now. I just began giving him coconut oil yesterday, so I will update on that, but the shedding just seems like a lot to me.

He did have some dandruff, but weā€™re hoping the coconut oil helps with thatā€¦ to be honest, we could have been bathing him too regularly.

I could just be over-worried, but Iā€™m not sure exactly how much shedding is too much. Does anyone have experience with this? Is he shedding his puppy coat and winter coat, and can that explain the large amount of shedding? Any help is appreciated!!
You answered your own question :)

Yes bathing n dandruff is often a sign. Bathing should be like 2x a yr, use fragrance free baby wipes throughout the yr or a swim in the ocean is great for any skin issue! BTW they do shed puppy fur at that age. Acana is a quality kibble. Do rotations after each bags so his system gets use to all proteins. Duck is easier to digest. Rotation will build his immune system to avoid future allergies or health issues. Also you can buy raw organs, chop it up n use as a topper on his meals. Freeze little portion bags about a 1/4cup in each so itā€™s always on hand.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree with Helene. Lessen bath and our guy is going on 8, his white fur sheds like a blizzard all year long, his red fur barley sheds. No idea why, but it is how he has always been.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Louie and Ella are shedding like crazy right now. They are both white and always shed but I think itā€™s super bad right now as they are blowing their coats.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Our guys always blow coat right after a bath. Otherwise all 4 hold on to their fur.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I'm in Florida and my bully still sheds in spring. He gets a bath only when he needs it - like when he goes and mucks himself up - he has this strange habit of digging up dirt in our backyard and burrowing in it like he's a chicken.

He doesn't get bathed often but he does love his daily vacuuming! I have this vacuum cleaner (Miele) that has a sucking-strength adjustment. I set it to the lowest setting, stick the furniture brush on the end and brush him with it. You should see him when he gets his bum brushed, he goes silly like he just went to heaven.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.