Prolapsed Urethra

Strawserm

Jul 9, 2022
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Hello, I'm new to this thread/site but so happy to have found it. I Google for hours sometimes on my English Bulldog.

My most recent issue is my 3 y/o English bulldog, Rocco, had prolapsed urethra surgery for the second time on July 1, 2022. The first time was January 3, 2020. Rocco came home on the 2nd of July and was on medications and crate rest. He had no bleeding on the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th but then bleed twice on the 5th, once on the 6th, once on the 7th, no bleeding on the 8th, then like a blot clot left his urethra today. The doctor said bleeding is normal for a few days and I'm bringing him in on Monday but I know he didn't have bleeding this far out after his first surgery.

Has anyone else been through recovery of this surgery? Did your Bulldog bleed for a week after? Thank you for reading this very long post. Michelle

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Hello, I'm new to this thread/site but so happy to have found it. I Google for hours sometimes on my English Bulldog.

My most recent issue is my 3 y/o English bulldog, Rocco, had prolapsed urethra surgery for the second time on July 1, 2022. The first time was January 3, 2020. Rocco came home on the 2nd of July and was on medications and crate rest. He had no bleeding on the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th but then bleed twice on the 5th, once on the 6th, once on the 7th, no bleeding on the 8th, then like a blot clot left his urethra today. The doctor said bleeding is normal for a few days and I'm bringing him in on Monday but I know he didn't have bleeding this far out after his first surgery.

Has anyone else been through recovery of this surgery? Did your Bulldog bleed for a week after? Thank you for reading this very long post. Michelle

Welcome!

I have no experience with this issue and havenā€™t heard of it, but Iā€™m sure someone will give advice, lots of knowledgeable members on herešŸ˜Š

OP
Strawserm

Strawserm

Jul 9, 2022
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Has your dog been neutered? Iā€™ve known one bulldog who has this this issue and after he got neutered, that fixed it and it didnā€™t happen again.
He was neutered in Jan of 2020 during the 1st prolapse repair. He has a ton of energy, especially for a bulldog, and they are recommending I put him on anxiety meds once he heals to prevent a 3rd prolapse. It's been a very long 10 days of recovery this time, although he seems normal in all other aspects. Eating, drinking, peeing and šŸ’©. He doesn't seem to be in any pain but the bleeding is of concern at day 10. šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

PiggySmallz

Oct 4, 2023
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Sumo
He was neutered in Jan of 2020 during the 1st prolapse repair. He has a ton of energy, especially for a bulldog, and they are recommending I put him on anxiety meds once he heals to prevent a 3rd prolapse. It's been a very long 10 days of recovery this time, although he seems normal in all other aspects. Eating, drinking, peeing and šŸ’©. He doesn't seem to be in any pain but the bleeding is of concern at day 10. šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø
Hi,

Iā€™m just wondering if you have an update 1.5 years on?!
My 8 month old has this and heā€™ll likely need surgery. They are recommending neutering, but we donā€™t really want to go down that route - and it seems like it didnā€™t help with your pup :(
Iā€™m reading that recurrence is likely, just wondering if you had any issues after the first surgery (hopefully not!!)

Members online